Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is an 'easy' fix to get an older Sigma lens from the film era to work on a current EOS digital camera?

After too long, I finally got a DSLR (a secondhand EOS 550D, just to get my foot in the door so to speak - a 70D would have been nicer but some reason my wife thinks paying the kids school fees is more important than taking up an old hobby...  :P ) and, as I still have my old film EOS 5 camera and lenses taking up space in the cupboard, it would have been very nice if my Sigma 75-300mm lens worked with the 550D but it gives an Err 01 screen...

Cool photo, Martin. I must say I've also been dabbling in a bit of black & white lately.

I find it hard to get away from. I starting shooting and making pocket money from photography when I was 14. 1975. Been at it ever since. Shot film for 20 years and now digital for 21. I spent years learning to see in black and white as in 1975 colour was quite rare and very expensive. Most of my work is colour now but black and white is etched deep into me.

Does anyone know if there is an 'easy' fix to get an older Sigma lens from the film era to work on a current EOS digital camera?

After too long, I finally got a DSLR (a secondhand EOS 550D, just to get my foot in the door so to speak - a 70D would have been nicer but some reason my wife thinks paying the kids school fees is more important than taking up an old hobby... [emoji14] ) and, as I still have my old film EOS 5 camera and lenses taking up space in the cupboard, it would have been very nice if my Sigma 75-300mm lens worked with the 550D but it gives an Err 01 screen...

There might be a chip or firmware upgrade that can be applied. Ask this question on Outdoorphoto forum....I'm pretty sure someone there will know.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There might be a chip or firmware upgrade that can be applied. Ask this question on Outdoorphoto forum....I'm pretty sure someone there will know.

There might be a work around but I wouldn't reccomend it. The old lenses are simply not made to work very well with modern digital sensors. You do see people using the old lenses but usually to achieve a particular feel or effect. One that you could most likely achieve in post if you really wanted to. Any solution you come up with will certainly not enable all capabilities of the modern dslr bodies in term of auto focus and various metering modes. Lens coating have improved hugely over the years and computer assisted designs have made optics possible that couldn't be considered years ago. Massive amount of maths go into the design of modern multi element lenses and huge computing power is needed.

I don't really know the canon range, but I think its an issue with auto focus/aperture:

Older lenses doesn't have internal focus motors, and were driven by the body.

Newer lenses typically all have focus motors, so the bodies (especially lower spec/budget bodies) no londer have focus motors.

If you then put an older lense on one of these newer bodies, they don't play nice.

You can try putting the body in manual focus, it may solve the problem.

The second issue is diaphragm control - newer lenses have electronic control (with no aperture ring), so the body doesn't have a control pin. Older lenses are controlled mechanically by the body.

Check canon's website for conpatibility tables.