Help, need advice on choosing MTB wheels!!

TheGreenMamba

Round wheels work best :)

But that aside XT is your best value for money, and industrucable, you could try american classics another all time favourite but they can bend during bigger jumps/drop offs.

Indestructible, everything but the hubs yes.

I have a set of these, the hubs lasted all of 6km before it completely bombed out!

Luckily Shimano replaced them straight away.

Believe the problem has been fixed with the newer wheels, just make sure your LBS sells you new stock!

Do a search here and in google on XT hubs. They are great wheels bar the hubs!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have a set hand built and you will not look back. Hope Pro 2's with ZTR or Mavic Rims and DT Swiss double butted spokes...easy!

+ 1.... i ordered the stuff from CRC AND they sommer built the wheels as well for free!!!

Indestructible, everything but the hubs yes.

I have a set of these, the hubs lasted all of 6km before it completely bombed out!

Luckily Shimano replaced them straight away.

Believe the problem has been fixed with the newer wheels, just make sure your LBS sells you new stock!

Do a search here and in google on XT hubs. They are great wheels bar the hubs!

Yeah Tank there was a single batch last year 2010 wheelset that did have issues with the hubs, never any issues before or after that though, I beleive there was a recall on that batch number.

Pitty you got a bad one though.

:thumbup: have the same, built by CRC.

Would you say this combination is pretty strong? Do you have apic of it?

I must say not very clued up with wheels... I want a rim that can handle flying down rock hills and some steep drop offs.

have a set hand built and you will not look back. Hope Pro 2's with ZTR or Mavic Rims and DT Swiss double butted spokes...easy!

+ 1.... i ordered the stuff from CRC AND they sommer built the wheels as well for free!!!

I see when ordering the hub they give an option of 28, 32 and 36h?

What does that mean?

Would you say this combination is pretty strong? Do you have apic of it?

I must say not very clued up with wheels... I want a rim that can handle flying down rock hills and some steep drop offs.

Solidly built wheels. The rims and hubs are brilliant. I weigh around 85kgs and have never had an issue.

If you want something stronger look at the ZTR Arch or Flow rims.

Check this out on Notubes site:

Rim Guide

Look halfway down the page:

Pics of wheels

Edited by Chubba

Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs with ZTR Crest rims and given your weight aluminium nipples and DT Swiss Revolution spokes. Ask JB to build you a pair. You will not be sorry!

This setup will be as light as or lighter than most factory built wheels, but I doubt they'll suite your riding style.

I also ride technical trails hard and fast and weigh a bit more(74kg), went super light a few years ago (DT Revolution spokes, aluminium nipples on Mavic XC717 rims) and they were trashed within 6 months.

I switched to DT EX5.1D rims and Competition spokes and after 4 years they're still going. The back rim has several dings and is definitely in need of truing, but that's not bad going seeing as no spoke wrench has touched them since they were built. (That says something about the builder as well!)

Have a look on CRC at the pre-built Hope wheels. They're available with a variety of rims and were on special a while ago.

Solidly built wheels. The rims and hubs are brilliant. I weigh around 85kgs and have never had an issue.

Rim Guide

Pics of wheels

That's interesting. You're 85kg and riding Revolution spokes with aluminium nipples? I'm trying to get down to target of 86-88kg and was concerned Revolutions would be a little to light for my weight. Also thought brass nipples minimum. How long have you had that setup, and what conditions have they handled?

Edited by tombeej

Rim Guide

Pics of wheels

Is there any chance you could send me the exact spec of the build.

I see you can choose between 10mm and 12 mm rear hub??(Not sure what to do there? Thinking of going white with red....

That's interesting. You're 85kg and riding Revolution spokes with aluminium nipples? I'm trying to get down to target of 86-88kg and was concerned Revolutions would be a little to light for my weight. Also thought brass nipples minimum. How long have you had that setup, and what conditions have they handled?

My bad, took the DT competition spokes and upgrade brass nipples.

Is there any chance you could send me the exact spec of the build.

I see you can choose between 10mm and 12 mm rear hub??(Not sure what to do there? Thinking of going white with red....

Rather get the black rims, easier to look after.

I also see there are now Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

Here it is:

(1) Hope Wheels Custom MTB Rear Pro 2 Disc Rear Wheel Comprising of

(1) Hope Wheels Hubs MTB Pro 2 Disc Rear 32h Red

(1) NoTubes Wheels Rims MTB 26" ZTR Crest Rim 32h Black

(1) DT Swiss Wheels Spokes - Builds Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black

2mm-1.8mm

(1) DT Swiss Wheels Nipples Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock Black Set Per Single

Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

(1) Hope Wheels Custom MTB Front Pro 2 Disc Front Wheel Comprising of

(1) Hope Wheels Hubs MTB Pro 2 Disc Front 32h Red

2mm-1.8mm

Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

Rather get the black rims, easier to look after.

I also see there are now Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

Here it is:

(1) Hope Wheels Custom MTB Rear Pro 2 Disc Rear Wheel Comprising of

(1) Hope Wheels Hubs MTB Pro 2 Disc Rear 32h Red

2mm-1.8mm

Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

(1) Hope Wheels Custom MTB Front Pro 2 Disc Front Wheel Comprising of

(1) Hope Wheels Hubs MTB Pro 2 Disc Front 32h Red

2mm-1.8mm

Wheel(DH/FR/XC)

Thank you for the help,all I will change is the rim and I will make it a ZTR Arch. Should I be worried about how much I weigh? Im sitting at the region 89 and 91kg, hopefully when I order and recieve them I will be at a constant 88 :clap: What was your import duty cost on them? I assume they will be lighter and stronger than my stock standard Mavric XM 317 disc rims :clap:

Thank you for the help,all I will change is the rim and I will make it a ZTR Arch. Should I be worried about how much I weigh? Im sitting at the region 89 and 91kg, hopefully when I order and recieve them I will be at a constant 88 :clap: What was your import duty cost on them? I assume they will be lighter and stronger than my stock standard Mavric XM 317 disc rims :clap:

Im on crest at 85kgs so the Arch should be fine.

Add 15.9% to the total cost on the CRC site for landed cost.

You will get free shipping so give them your PO Box Address as they will send it Parcel Force. No need to go the DHL option...

Edited by Chubba