[Event] Swartland MTB

Swartland MTB

I got 1340m ascent on my Garmin. Even without a GPS there was no way that that was only 800m climbing. Also, guy I was chatting to along the route mentioned that he was on 500m and that was quite a way before the big climb, just after the first little town we went through. How did you get 600m?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 800. To me it was flat. I got 69 kms. Maybe I took the wrong route!!!!

Service your measurement device?

If you guys are logging onto Garmin connect, and it is doing the auto correct on your upload it provides the wrong data.

There is no need to do the correction on a barometer controlled Garmin device like the 500 or the 800.

I have tested mine against actual map heights - the smaller height is definitely correct. eg in the Burger 60km mine was 1,260m in the other guys who uploaded were saying +-1,900m.

Test yours to the Mast at Tokai from the car park - it's about 760m of climbing on a map. Or even Chappies - it's +- 167m from sea level. then upload and see what happens/

• 11 months later...

Anyone doing it this year? Comments on the long route?

Im going through, did the long one two years ago and can remember a hell of alot of climbing, twice over Koringberg. Im not sure if the route changed, but if its anything like two years ago, it'll be a solid climbing and awesome technical route with some fast farm roads in between

The 65 km route takes riders to the top of Swartberg from where you can see all the way to Table Mountain and across the Swartland on a clear day. Be ready for a technical downhill that will test both brakes and downhill skills. The downhills have rocky sections that need to be navigated with care. Climbs, descents and flat sections are evenly dispersed, with about 11% single track; 15% easy gravel roads and the rest on ‘tweespoor’ jeep tracks, with some 600m of climbing. ....................... doesn't seem over difficult? 600m of climbing?

The 65 km route takes riders to the top of Swartberg from where you can see all the way to Table Mountain and across the Swartland on a clear day. Be ready for a technical downhill that will test both brakes and downhill skills. The downhills have rocky sections that need to be navigated with care. Climbs, descents and flat sections are evenly dispersed, with about 11% single track; 15% easy gravel roads and the rest on ‘tweespoor’ jeep tracks, with some 600m of climbing. ....................... doesn't seem over difficult? 600m of climbing?

600m must be a typo, I think one climb is that.