Mr Morewood leaves Morewood…

Tumbleweed

Looks like Patrick became a victim of his own success :( Hopefully his handover has been carefully thought out and it doesn't leave the brand in a bad situation.

Interested to see what 'consultancy' ventures he'll be going in to. Would it be consulting back to Morewood in a design capacity / will he be venturing into other brands?

No sense in jumping to conclusions here.

There has been some diffrences between Patrick and Richard, more than that I can not comment. (Simply because I do not know)

This has been on the cards for a little while now and is common knowledge in Maritzburg.

Patrick is NOT a victim of his own sucess, he built up an amazing company that produces some of the best bikes in the world with the support of an awesome team.

Morewood was a partnership, in this case it appears as they were going in diffrent directions and reached a point were it was no longer reconsilable.

Very sad, Patrick was the creative genius behind the brand and without him at the helm the brand just wont be the same.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

OMG. I can't believe it. I've been fortunate enough to own 3 hand made bikes. 2 of them being Morewoods.

They just are better. Anyone who's owned one will know.

Precisely ! We not worried at all but the problem is getting another one maybe . You never replace a Morewood , you just get another one .

haha! yup! The first bike ever I bought myself was a Morewood (DH)... then came a Yeti (FR)... then came the chance to buy another Morewood (4X)... but I couldn't haveing 3 bikes... so I figured I'd have to sell one of the bif travel bikes...

so it was the Yeti that got chucked :lol:

...and I'm glad too! not only is that Izimu sentimental cos it's the first bike I ever bought... but it's just totally awesome to ride!

Guest Omega Man

Hope he finished the design for that mythical full-sus 29'er...

And buy design you mean picked out of a catalogue?

Precisely ! We not worried at all but the problem is getting another one maybe . You never replace a Morewood , you just get another one .

Well said! You took the words out of my mouth

You got enough bikes!

That is true BUT a Morewood isn't just a bike !!! You can never have to many of them .

OMG. I can't believe it. I've been fortunate enough to own 3 hand made bikes. 2 of them being Morewoods.

They just are better. Anyone who's owned one will know.

Agree 100%. I have an Intense Tracer (also hand made) and a Zula. You can see, and more importantly, feel the difference.

Agreed. Also the pressure for mass production taiwanese catalogue frames must have been an issue. Really sad story.

I know the guys have a pretty solid strategy moving forward, and strangely enough it is to bring MORE and eventually ALL production back to the South African shores. Sure, time will tell how viable it may be, but I think you may be a little surprised with the direction the company plans to take...

And buy design you mean picked out of a catalogue?

Can I take a peak in the "catalogue" you find Morewood's in? :P EVERY bike, even the Taiwanese mfg'd bikes are completely Morewood designed and not a single frame uses an "open mould" design, meaning they are 100% unique.

the next dave weagle? ok, DW never had his own brand but he had his DW link on a lot of bikes and now his split pivot design is also out there, keeps you designing cutting edge products and developing it further with a big brand behinbd you and then move on to the next deign.....?

:) You know who designs THIS suspension right?

http://blog.rushsportscycling.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/02/MEGAVALANCHE-725x483.jpg

maybe that's what kinda killed it. Morewood has/had the slogan "the bikes that downhill built"... and that's how they started off. Mean machines for riding the gnarly. Then came some legendary AM machines... and eventually the XC ones... including (as was stated) Taiwanese Bicycle catalogue types (like the Kwela). I don't know what the actual fact is... but being involved in mechanical design myself... that would kill it for me. Going from designing and hand building something in line with one's passion (remember, he was a SA DH champ)... to making something for the majority.... to outsourcing for the masses.

I hope so... my little Ndiza is rare as it is... now it's gonna be hit cult status!

Patches, keep your eyes peeled on my BLOG there will be lots of info rolling out over the coming months regarding continuation, future plans, developments, strategies etc. We've all put our hearts and souls into this "dream" and this isn't the final chapter thats for sure ;)

Patches, keep your eyes peeled on my BLOG there will be lots of info rolling out over the coming months regarding continuation, future plans, developments, strategies etc. We've all put our hearts and souls into this "dream" and this isn't the final chapter thats for sure ;)

Awesome! As sad as the news is of Patrick leaving, I'm truly a Morewood supporter, and the evolution of the brand is of great interest to me.

Whether it be the retur of some of the greats... like the Shova and Mbuzi... or the development of their offspring... I'm sure that the guys and girls in the woods of PMB are gonna make us Saffers proud!

Thanks Morewoodkid!

On a side note I'm pretty stoked that this thread has WWWWAAAAAYYYYY more views than the Competition Commission thread :clap:

On a side note I'm pretty stoked that this thread has WWWWAAAAAYYYYY more views than the Competition Commission thread :clap:

And that will only happen when it relates to a subject that we all feel passionate about. :thumbup: I'm actually very sad that I only joined the Morewood clan about 6 months ago. I now realise what I've been missing for the last 10 years. :(

:) You know who designs THIS suspension right?

oh ja, actually forgot about that bike......is that a hint/clue?