Watchdog withdraws price-fixing bicycle case

NotSoBigBen

Something doesn't smell right here at all. I have several businesses and have a good nose for these things. It just doesn't add up that these minutes get pulled from a bike shop's server and then get published, in turn, causing irreparable damage to the reputations and customer bases of bike shops.

Just because he's a journalist doesn't mean he knows better. In this case he clearly didn't as the information was false, proved to be, and instead caused a lot of harm. If I was that bike store I know who I'd be going after.

So you saying they never published it? It wasn 't published by a third party boet, it was published on a website of one of the players! You don't really know any of the facts do you? You just like sounding self-righteous, right?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, you are responsible for this mess then?

Your question mark belies a statement. If you look back at the original thread, you will see that those minutes were posted only 10-odd pages into a thread with the words "price-fixing" as the title. The meeting had already been mentioned.

The Comp Comm acted on a complaint using that document, then later withdrew. Can I be held responsible for them acting on it?

Under what authority did you post it to the World on a forum? Did this website you got the information from have a privacy policy?

What authority do I require? And, no, it didn't. If it did, don't you think action would have been taken against me?

Something doesn't smell right here at all. I have several businesses and have a good nose for these things. It just doesn't add up that these minutes get pulled from a bike shop's server and then get published, in turn, causing irreparable damage to the reputations and customer bases of bike shops.

Just because he's a journalist doesn't mean he knows better. In this case he clearly didn't as the information was false, proved to be, and instead caused a lot of harm. If I was that bike store I know who I'd be going after.

In the years since I have interacted with many of the players who attended that meeting. Not one has come after me. Not one will. Like Willehond says, you have know idea what happened. Earlier, I posted that the authenticity of the minutes were never denied, but the accuracy was challenged. I never took them, I published them.

Do your homework before poking your nose into things you don't understand.

The Comp Comm acted on a complaint using that document, then later withdrew. Can I be held responsible for them acting on it?

You must be lank proud of yourself man.

The minutes were not false, they existed and were produced by an attendee of the meeting.

They were not proved true or false by any court or authority. The Competition just decided not to pursue the complaint,thats all.

If someone publishes something that exists no harm is done. The harm was done in holding the meeting to which the minutes referred. In the end of the day I think that for cyclists a lot of good was done, prices in SA have narrowed quite a bit towards the likes of CRC and cyclists are more aware that alternatives exist for them when they feel ripped off.

I remember seeing those minutes and thinking what kind of nana posts minutes of pricing agreements on their public website? Wasn't the brightest moment in the history of bicycle sales in South Africa. A meeting did take place, things were said and it seems a lot of people got a bit of a fright. I'm really glad it came out into the open. We need more of this whistleblowing stuff. Sounds to me like the bike industry is in better shape after the big skrik they got.

Maybe we should ask Admin to open a "Cycle-leaks" page where you can post "leaks" anonymously without logging in.

So you saying they never published it? It wasn 't published by a third party boet, it was published on a website of one of the players! You don't really know any of the facts do you? You just like sounding self-righteous, right?

Was it published to the public for public access, via a link freely available from their home page? If not, and assuming this site had various copyrights in place, there actually could be grounds to pursue action against this information being freely shared. It's cost collectively 3 bar damages. Many cyclist I know took this information as de facto evidence (as human nature seems to do to people).

No need to aim rhetoric insults at me 'Willehond'.

Inane drivel

You must be lank proud of yourself man.

I find justification in the fact that one of the major players in this affair telling me in a phone call just days after the fact that, if he was in my position and was presented with the same information that I was given he would've have done the same.

Since you don't know what happened, your jibes have no effect.

I find justification in the fact that one of the major players in this affair telling me in a phone call just days after the fact that, if he was in my position and was presented with the same information that I was given he would've have done the same.

Since you don't know what happened, your jibes have no effect.

Oh really? I'd be very interested to hear what the other shops have to say.

How do you know that I don't know what happened?

Which shop's server did you download the document from?

How do you know that I don't know what happened?

Which shop's server did you download the document from?

If you don't know the answer to the second question, then that makes the first one redundant. Search for it. It's posted here on the hub.

Are the proceedings of the compcom public, or is this statement all we'll ever see?

The tribunal hearings are, but I'm not sure about the investigatory hearings. It has yet to issue a press release on the matter.

If you don't know the answer to the second question, then that makes the first one redundant. Search for it. It's posted here on the hub.

If you have the link, please post it. Do you say which shop you downloaded the document from?

If you have the link, please post it. Do you say which shop you downloaded the document from?

Normally I would say yes to such a request, but in your case I won't. Your manner to me on this topic with me has been aggressive, abusive and accusatory; and, from your request above, it proves my point: that you know little of the topic at hand. All the questions you have posed are answered there. There's one thread about 70-odd-pages-long. Should keep you busy for the evening. Ask my friend, Willehond. He wanted to kick me after wasting 3-odd hours wading through half of it. Enjoy. I'm off to the pub.