What makes a really fast bike

goya-goya

This is perhaps as a result of my OCD... I cannot for the life of me phathom what the hell people are trying to say when they say their bike is really fast!

Ask the "experts" who do those test ride articles in Bicycling, and then declare emphatically that x bike is a mountain goat.

if you have a "low centre of gravity" it makes you fast on the downhills. :P

Nice way to say "Short and Fat"

Just like me!

Apparently 'bigger' wheels will also instantly improve it's speed :rolleyes: - #justsaying

So that is it then. A black 29er is the fastest?

Personally I do not judge a person "bling-ing" their ride... so and expensive or cheap anything is cool...

The "Experts" are chopps! I can guarentee you that the speed they feel is when the setup is suited to their build and the geometry suits their position... compared to the bike where it does not suit them well!... if you have a steep headtube angle and your shock is firm... you will be fighting over bumps... if you have a long wheel base and you try zig-zagging you will feel the difference.. also if you are used to a heavier bike the lighter one will seem lighter...only for a while!

Other than being a powerhouse... on the same bike your setup is the next biggest factor in making you faster...

oh yes and a black bike! :clap:

..and it also helps to ride with slower, weaker people :lol: :lol:

..all i am saying is that if you have 10 bikes all have the same tyres and hubs and they have all been setup for your geometry... you will be hard pressed to find the difference... yes the lighter the bike, the better the power to weight ratio... but that is because it is light... and the lighter the wheels and tyres and pedals and crank and dont forget your shoes... the easier it will be to generate the power to move the bike...

sah-weeeeet!

if you have a "low centre of gravity" it makes you fast on the downhills. :P

.... there is a point in time when "low centre of gravity" turns to "i have fallen and cannot get up".......

what makes you fast downhills? assuming that you have the appropriate hubs and wheels... compared to the next bloke with the same bike is:

1) the heavier you are the faster you will go!

2) speed is also directly proprtional to the lack of brains

:clap: :clap: :clap:

what makes you fast downhills? assuming that you have the appropriate hubs and wheels... compared to the next bloke with the same bike is:

1) the heavier you are the faster you will go!

2) speed is also directly proprtional to the lack of brains

I agree to both comments.

On the 94.7 race last year, me and my younger and lighter brother rode on MTB with offroad tires. On one of the downhills, he slipstreamed behind me and we ended up going at 70km/h.

So slipstream behind a bigger dumb bloke and your bike is also fast.....