Bike Shop sells Cracked Frame and Tries to hide it

longweasel

My Brother in law buys a new bike from a Bike Shop (whom we wont mention just yet) as we have given them the chance to rectify the problem. On his first ride at the cheese farm on Saturday he passes the bike to me over a fence. Staring me in the face as I hold the bike above my head looking under the top tube is the crack.First thought is how did we miss this... Easy they tried to cover it up with paint or tipex. I only saw the dent from underneath and then in the sunlight saw the crack. We reckon they put the bike in a bike stand to work on the brakes which needed to be bled and over clamped it. They must have heard the crack or seen the dent because it was bad. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

post-3517-0-14091700-1309170725.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how the hell did you miss that in the store?

I have been thinking this too, maybe in all the excitement of getting the bike and onto a trail, it might have just been overlooked.

The photo comes out nice and clear, when he asked the management to find the crack they couldn't, it is a bit underneath and the paint almost looks like there is plastic on it. The first time he went in there were hassles upgrading the wheels so he had been back 2-3 times, he thought nothing of it when he finally got the bike almost a week after paying for it, he just wanted to get out of there :angry:

Man you have got patience, assuming the bike was received in that condition then the bike shop concerned does not deserve the chance you are giving them to weasel out of the predicament they are in.

I wonder if they will blame it on one of their employee’s who did it covertly without telling da boss.....?

Maybe a case for Specsavers?

i dont think that is from overtightening in a work stand! If it was from overtightening the frame would be ovalized over a larger area - that dent looks like an impact dent! The crack (looks like a scratch to me) next to it suggest to me that thie bike was dented and scratched during transport! I have seen cases like this on a number of cheapy bikes that we used to stock in the shop where i worked! It would generally happen when 2 bikes were boxed together! In this instance however i think its more likely that something was either dropped onto the bike box and this happened! At the time of impact the scratch would have happened from another part in the box scratching the frame as everything was compressed!

The shop should have sent the bike back as that is structural damage and needs a warrenty!

i dont think that is from overtightening in a work stand! If it was from overtightening the frame would be ovalized over a larger area - that dent looks like an impact dent! The crack (looks like a scratch to me) next to it suggest to me that thie bike was dented and scratched during transport! I have seen cases like this on a number of cheapy bikes that we used to stock in the shop where i worked! It would generally happen when 2 bikes were boxed together! In this instance however i think its more likely that something was either dropped onto the bike box and this happened! At the time of impact the scratch would have happened from another part in the box scratching the frame as everything was compressed!

The shop should have sent the bike back as that is structural damage and needs a warrenty!

Thanks for the insight, but seeing the bike in person you would see the other little dents on the underside, as to the theory of a scratch, no ways, they have layered paint over it. I have seen a road frame dented in this way at another shop. They tried to sell to me for next to nothing but I said no thank you I like my teeth.

The whole thing of not naming the shop is a load of BS.

This post is completely different to the recent one about CWC which got the poster into so much hot water.

In this case, the shop knew about the damage, and worse still, tried to hide it.

Who is to say that the frame could not have failed while being ridden, and put the rider in hospital?

This is not a mistake, it is straightforward deception on the part of the supplier.

Name them.

This post is completely different to the recent one about CWC which got the poster into so much hot water.

In this case, the shop knew about the damage, and worse still, tried to hide it.

Who is to say that the frame could not have failed while being ridden, and put the rider in hospital?

This is not a mistake, it is straightforward deception on the part of the supplier.

Name them.

I hear you man. We have given them 2 days to respond and pending the outcome of that I will be naming them. I just want to give the whole story when it is done. So the ball is in their court. If need be I can use the pressure built up from here. In the long run I will open it up to protect other buyers.

Now that is that old saying again, the owners story, the Bike Shop story and the truth!

Name them.

Just remember that sometimes a story has two sides...

Plus, who says it wasn't the people that sent it to the bike shop that tried to cover the scratch.

The bike shop might be completely innocent especially as has been said, its difficult to see.