DIY - Morewood Shova ST Build

Chubba

Tech question 1. – (cable not connected) when setting the high and low screws on the rear, the low setting is fine as the chain/derailleur is always positioned here, but how do you set the high setting. Are you supposed to physically push the derailleur up to this level, to get the chain to the high cassette ring? What configuration should the front chain ring be in when doing this?

Tech question 2. - When connecting the cable to the rear derailleur how tight must you pull and attach the cable.

Do you need to have any gearing configuration when doing this i.e. small gear at the back or large gear at the back?

Tech question 3 - the screw that controls the rear derailleur spring, what is the default setting for this?

Chubba, cracking on with the build there... Here some answers to your questions:

1)As mentioned, low setting is easy. Leave derailer in relaxed position, feed cable as required and pull tight (with fingers or cable pullers - which ever suits). Tighten bolt to clamp cable, then shift up until 1st gear and adjust the high limit screw as you need. If the gears are clicking or not shifting smoothly then use the barrel adjuster at the end of the cable at the derailer (old shimano) or at the shifter (Sram, New shimano)

General gearing, middle blade in the front as this is the one you use the most

2) Pull as tight as you can with your fingers without affecting the derailer

3)its called the B-Limit screw i think. Basically sets the spring tension at the connecting knuckle - makes the derailer flap about or not. This is bike and user specific, play around with it while not making it completely loose or completely tight.

Hope that helps, if I have got it wrong then someone will offer the right answer but generally it all works for me...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chubba, cracking on with the build there... Here some answers to your questions:

1)As mentioned, low setting is easy. Leave derailer in relaxed position, feed cable as required and pull tight (with fingers or cable pullers - which ever suits). Tighten bolt to clamp cable, then shift up until 1st gear and adjust the high limit screw as you need. If the gears are clicking or not shifting smoothly then use the barrel adjuster at the end of the cable at the derailer (old shimano) or at the shifter (Sram, New shimano)

General gearing, middle blade in the front as this is the one you use the most

2) Pull as tight as you can with your fingers without affecting the derailer

3)its called the B-Limit screw i think. Basically sets the spring tension at the connecting knuckle - makes the derailer flap about or not. This is bike and user specific, play around with it while not making it completely loose or completely tight.

Hope that helps, if I have got it wrong then someone will offer the right answer but generally it all works for me...

Thanks, at least i am on the right track. Will attempt it again tonight. And then onto the front one.

Just noticed something ... is that a flipping SLICK on the front?

Quick edit the post and remove that pic before people start calling you names like roadie :)

Just noticed something ... is that a flipping SLICK on the front?

Quick edit the post and remove that pic before people start calling you names like roadie :)

Lol, it is - my spare set of rims and tires for when i didn’t have a road bike.

Update:

1. Cabling done

2. Gearing done

3. Shock and fork pressure done

4. Pedals on

Still to do:

1. Get 710mm - 750mm bar

2. Cut the steerer

3. Move the cassete and rotors to my other wheels.

Used clear fish pond pipe to enclose open cables.

post-12790-0-30237300-1314131296.jpg

post-12790-0-12722900-1314131326.jpg

Yo Chubba, looking good dude. Better have it done by Sunday for the Table Mountain Safety awareness ride.... Got show that puppy off

Yo Chubba, looking good dude. Better have it done by Sunday for the Table Mountain Safety awareness ride.... Got show that puppy off

Trying to hook up some bars and a stem today. What do you recon is a good length/rise?

And then just need to get the cassette off these wheels and onto my new ones.

I have done everything i can, now she must go see the LBS for some cut and trim and a set-up for me.

And here she is!

post-12790-0-99334800-1314215227.jpg

Chubba, looking really sweet man! Dial up that fork to max travel and slam the stem down to the headset and you are ready to roll.

As for bars, 15mm rise at max (otherwise front end will want to lift on the climbs) and minimum 710mm wide. Stem 70mm at longest, could drop that down to say 50mm at shortest. But this is all personal choice

I have done everything i can, now she must go see the LBS for some cut and trim and a set-up for me.

And here she is!

Awesome bra! Love that colour. Many happy miles!

And here she is!

Aaaawwwweeeee....wait for it.....some!

Weight?