So did a helmet save his life?

Hairy

21st May i hit a tree at speed... broken ribs, stitches in my face, but more concerning, my head hit the tree above my ear. Helmet crushed as designed to do (a Rudy project) and i was still knocked unconcious..

I know here in SA pretty much everyone wears helmets, but i was in Europe in 2010 and couldnt believe how few guys wear helmets..... its a no brainer!!

Not riding with one, this may be the end result.

I am fond of suggesting to folk who believe a Helmet is not a lifesaver, to take a day and visit the neurosurgical ward at any major hospital to see what even a slight knock on an unprotected skull can do.

I heard a saying once "There are Old guys and there are Bold guys,.....but there are No Old Bold guys"....I think it pretty much covers the helemt wearing saga.

a cut above the eye means he must've gone down face first in which case you'll want to be breaking the fall with the hands/arms. how does he end up so "badly coordinated" during the fall that he cant even stick out the hand?

Ever crashed in a bunch? Good or bad coordination doesn't make a difference, you hit the deck.

Quick draw splat :lol:

Edited by danger dassie

I unintentionally head but a nice sized and well entrenched rock at Oakvalley a year or so ago after a tree had "jumped out in front of me" and caused me to do a little superman flying stint ..... I can still recall the sound of the helmet crunching. I believe it saved my life or prevented serious injury.

this is typically why i dont do road.. :o

Dont rocks and trees hurt when you crash on your mountain bike?

haha a little but you dont get such bad roasties.. and sometimes if you lucky you fall on softer ground! ;)

after seeing all of the crashes in the peleton today, one has to realize that it's a part of road racing that cannot be easily avoided, it only takes one person to bring down the bunch, but of course if the riders weren't wearing helmets, it would be a lot worse.