Race Organisers - I Hate You!!!!

LukeV-2

How about something like this:

• Require all students who want cheap entry fees to join the club at their university / technikon / college. Also create a "virtual" club for those institutions who do not have the resources to run this on their owm. Evidence of being a bona-fide student would be a valid Student Card from a registered institution (certified copy if necessary).

• Then do a deal with CSA to waive the CSA fee for all members of those clubs. CSA then issues a special "student" number (prefixed with an "S" for example) - valid for a year.

• Any entratnts with a CSA number prefixed with an S receive an X% discount on their entry fee...

I am sure it would be relatively easy to attract sponsorships to help fund a system las described - students are a very attractive market due to their potenmtial future earnings.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about something like this:

• Require all students who want cheap entry fees to join the club at their university / technikon / college. Also create a "virtual" club for those institutions who do not have the resources to run this on their owm. Evidence of being a bona-fide student would be a valid Student Card from a registered institution (certified copy if necessary).

• Then do a deal with CSA to waive the CSA fee for all members of those clubs. CSA then issues a special "student" number (prefixed with an "S" for example) - valid for a year.

• Any entratnts with a CSA number prefixed with an S receive an X% discount on their entry fee...

I am sure it would be relatively easy to attract sponsorships to help fund a system las described - students are a very attractive market due to their potenmtial future earnings.

Are all races CSA-sanctioned? It's a good idea, and possibly one that could work on a series of events, but I don't think all race promoters will buy into it.

Why should students get a discount?

Aren't they still being supported by their parents, or do they get kicked out of the house they day they have written the last matric paper?

Why can't hardworking parents get a discount?

They have kids to support, grocery accounts, student loans, school fees and all the other whatnot's to pay.

Why can't people that ride a P&P Special get a bigger discount than someone riding a 100K custom bike?

The bloke on the custom bike can evidently afford it....

MTB racing is expensive.

Canooing is expensive.

Parachuting is expensive.

Everything is expensive.

Living is expensive. Dying is even more expensive.

Live long and prosper.

cmon slow wheres the empathy lol, lets face it a lot of organizers are taking the micky out of us with their pricing. Take the knysa for example over R220 entry fee and then people get to the waterpoints and no water or food, and not that they had expenses cultivating new ST.

Theres about 20 gazzilion threads on the hub where working class people on the hub complain about the pricing on races. In some cases I am one of them.

If you are a student give them discount the sport is expensive enough without being ripped by race organizers.

I save up to ride the 94.7 and amashova every year. What about ppl like Henry If he didnt get sponsered then he would never ride in a race. its not just students its everyone. AS it was said before if you dont like the price dont ride.

So this is what I see happening, more & more people suddenly paying "student rates" and then the fees for the non-students go up to compensate for the loss, also a greater no of entries cause of the reduced rate - cuts your chances of getting into a race possibly - Just seeing things from both sides of the fence.

Are all races CSA-sanctioned? It's a good idea, and possibly one that could work on a series of events, but I don't think all race promoters will buy into it.

Doesn't matter if race organisers buy into it or not. What you guys are proposing would be a CSA/PPA/CGC whatever initiative, and would then be imposed on the organisers.

Mountain biking is not a cheap sport! (stating the obvious)

Yes I would prefer that the races were cheaper because it can be quite costly however:

1. Simple Economics (which can be part of a 'silly' BA) is supply and demand. At the current fees most of the big races are full, therefore it means that there is plenty of demand for races at those prices. A Mtb race is still cheaper and more rewarding than round of golf at a decent course.

2. Life is not fair (probably covered in philosophy course which is also part of a 'silly' BA) and you have to make to with what you have. If you want to race you have to sacrifice in other areas, if you still can't afford it then as someone else said, you have to make peace with it.

3. You won't be a student forever and clearly you studying something that will one day pay well so then you will be able to afford all the races you want. The majority of the country however work their ass off as doing manual labour etc and will never have the luxury of owning a bike let alone riding a race.

Edit: No hijacks on them stealing bikes please...

Edited by Me-rider

Doesn't matter if race organisers buy into it or not. What you guys are proposing would be a CSA/PPA/CGC whatever initiative, and would then be imposed on the organisers.

That's why I asked if all races fall under the authorities.

I think everybody riding Raleighs should get 80% discount. Not out of sympathy but so that they can save to buy a better bikes. I will then never replace my Raleigh. I will always stay a PDI.

You're right - it would only work for CSA sanctioned events. But the CSA-sanctioned events are the expensive ones and comprise the majority of reaces around the country.

As to why students should get a discount and others not my answer would be that the goal of any sport should be to grow and develop - encouraging younger riders would support that objective I think a similar support system should be in place for school children as well.

I think everybody riding Raleighs should get 80% discount. Not out of sympathy but so that they can save to buy a better bikes. I will then never replace my Raleigh. I will always stay a PDI.

What about discounts if you ride a 29er? They need to recoup their costs when they realise its not all that.

Why should students get a discount?

Aren't they still being supported by their parents, or do they get kicked out of the house they day they have written the last matric paper?

Why can't hardworking parents get a discount?

They have kids to support, grocery accounts, student loans, school fees and all the other whatnot's to pay.

Why can't people that ride a P&P Special get a bigger discount than someone riding a 100K custom bike?

The bloke on the custom bike can evidently afford it....

MTB racing is expensive.

Canooing is expensive.

Parachuting is expensive.

Everything is expensive.

Living is expensive. Dying is even more expensive.

Live long and prosper.

post-523-0-93253000-1310637819.jpg

That's why I asked if all races fall under the authorities.

Pretty much they all do. The ones that people ride anyway.

Even things like the Springs Girls High?Audi race are technically sanctioned by the governing body, as they appear on the national calendar.

Oh, and nevermind the organisers, you need to get this through the online entry people, whoever they are.

You're right - it would only work for CSA sanctioned events. But the CSA-sanctioned events are the expensive ones and comprise the majority of reaces around the country.

As to why students should get a discount and others not my answer would be that the goal of any sport should be to grow and develop - encouraging younger riders would support that objective I think a similar support system should be in place for school children as well.

That shouldn't be too hard to organise then. Aren't student entitled to a discount on racing licences?

Covie, same principle. I would love to do knynsa but I cant afford it. All the accom and transport etc etc etc.

I just dont enter. Its that simple. When they bring the price down cause they dont have enough entrants, then it might be worth it again - but untill then, dont enter (or earn more). Enjoying life to much at the moment to give up my free time to earn more.

In the same boat mate have to choose and plan my races carefully, however this chap isnt talking about stage races or travelling vast distances donig races 500km+ from home.

This is a student that probably studies most of the time, has a temp job or an allowance, would like to participate in overpriced races. I can feel his pain.

And i still agree with him, even though its not perfect if you ahve a student card get some level of discount. Policing and bulding systems I think is too much effort. simply limit the number of entries, and those that arent real students will probably take advantage of the situation, but hell at least the option is there and if your quick enough you can get some discount. Same applies for school children wanting to do races, they should pay a 1/4 of the current prices for races since its their parents that have to fork out 2-3 entries at a time.

If will do wonders for the development of the sport. otherwise organizers can enter a niche market, design races specifically for financially challenged individuals bearing student card :)

In the same boat mate have to choose and plan my races carefully, however this chap isnt talking about stage races or travelling vast distances donig races 500km+ from home.

This is a student that probably studies most of the time, has a temp job or an allowance, would like to participate in overpriced races. I can feel his pain.

And i still agree with him, even though its not perfect if you ahve a student card get some level of discount. Policing and bulding systems I think is too much effort. simply limit the number of entries, and those that arent real students will probably take advantage of the situation, but hell at least the option is there and if your quick enough you can get some discount. Same applies for school children wanting to do races, they should pay a 1/4 of the current prices for races since its their parents that have to fork out 2-3 entries at a time.

If will do wonders for the development of the sport. otherwise organizers can enter a niche market, design races specifically for financially challenged individuals bearing student card :)

Yes, it sucks for students who can't afford to enter races, but my point stands, they are fortunate enough to have the luxury of university education.

They could choose to take that money (R30k for 4 years) and use that to cycle every race they wanted, but instead they are choosing to use it to study.

Sure its a no brainer decision but still they had a choice and they should accept that they are going to not be able to afford the races.