Race Organisers - I Hate You!!!!

LukeV-2

How is one supposed to enjoy riding when entrance fee's are so high, fair enough if you are working, but as a student there is no way i can afford your ridiculous prices.

In the canoeing world there is a special fee for students, less than half.

So, if i live in the East of Joburg and want to do a race, i have to drive atleast an hour each way to where ever the race might be, the whole race could end up costing me around R300 all in all, if not, MORE. Do you think student have that kind of money to throw away, i can go to groenkloof and ride to my hearts content and it will only cost me like R100 including travels, and the routes there are probably better than your race routes..

Someone please sort something out, i beleive you may be chasing riders away that might actually have true potential.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a valid point, but how would it work? Where would the discount come in, what can be used to confirm that you are actually a student.

Offer up solutions to the problem ;)

My partner is a 'student', part time but she makes good money in her job, how can you determine a poor student from a rich one? A working one from a non working one?

Offer up solutions to the problem ;)

F*&k you! Complain, shout, swear, complain some more. That's the souf effriken way ;)

F*&k you! Complain, shout, swear, complain some more. That's the souf effriken way ;)

I thought he did that with his rant :lol: The above is for when i'm tipped over the edge.

How is one supposed to enjoy riding when entrance fee's are so high, fair enough if you are working, but as a student there is no way i can afford your ridiculous prices.

So, if i live in the East of Joburg and want to do a race, i have to drive atleast an hour each way to where ever the race might be, the whole race could end up costing me around R300 all in all, if not, MORE. Do you think student have that kind of money to throw away, i can go to groenkloof and ride to my hearts content and it will only cost me like R100 including travels, and the routes there are probably better than your race routes..

Someone please sort something out, i beleive you may be chasing riders away that might actually have true potential.

Wees bly julle het races en mense wat moeite doen om roetes uit te le ens.

Hier by ons is daar nie rerig nie en ons ry maar boring plain grond paaie meeste van die tyd!

My partner is a 'student', part time but she makes good money in her job, how can you determine a poor student from a rich one? A working one from a non working one?

Generally the poor ones outnumber the rich ones. What about ones with no job, but rich parents? This begins to sound like a BEE debate.

You could ask for proof of registration as a full time student at a recognised institution. Make it a once-off thing that you need to do each year and they then keep it in their database for the year. It could be tied to the CSA database that keeps all your licence details etc.

Maybe have a CSA licence for students - you only need to show student status when applying for that.

Wees bly julle het races en mense wat moeite doen om roetes uit te le ens.

Hier by ons is daar nie rerig nie en ons ry maar boring plain grond paaie meeste van die tyd!

Prehaps its an opportunity for you?

As a part time race organiser i always think that the community moans far too much as they've never sat on the other sideof the fence. and no one ever forces you to do a race.

BUT, i totally get your complaint - i felt the same when i was studying. i found it hard to justify the travel, race fees blah blah on a saturday morning. In stead I spent the cash at the pub, raced my peers for the hottest flossie on the dancefloor till victory or sunrise(whichever came first). next day i'd get up late and go lay my hangover all around coeztenburg - sufferring just as much as if i raced and getting home at about the same time.

not ideal even if it sounds more fun, maybe worth actually writing to specific organisers, or joining your varsity club and working out the freebies from the inside.

Student job!!! Use it dont use it.. Just a thought!!! If you love the sport you will find a way to afford it! :clap:

some comments

- no one forces anyone to race, I know plenty riders that never ever race , even if they can afford it

- Road running gives discount to Masters, how insane is that, the toppies are usually the ones who have gone on pension, have too much money lying around and still get a discount....... same with pensioners discount at supermarkets (ok, not all pensioners live a life of luxury, but a large portion does, and they can afford to pay the normal fee),so where is the sense in that

- I also know plenty students who earn big bucks, so how will it be controlled?

A student can only get a job if they are studying something silly like a BA or something.

All students have student cards, one would just need to present that, and yes i have seen how the races are organised "from the other side" and i know that the rate can be cheaper.

I have no time for a student job, even in the holidays we get projects.

The times are changing.

Entering the Dusi, a 3 day canoe race from PMB to DBn, is only like R300 for students, if that, it is far more worthwhile and the price is justified. You get food, beer, powerade, t shirts, thousands of free samples, amazing girls to welcome you at the end and a prepared route like none other.

CSA has to wake up in life, and the race organisers.

Student job!!! Use it dont use it.. Just a thought!!! If you love the sport you will find a way to afford it! :clap:

:thumbup:

A student can only get a job if they are studying something silly like a BA or something.

For that, I hope you can never afford to race again… :angry: