Race Organisers - I Hate You!!!!

LukeV-2

..... design races specifically for financially challenged individuals bearing student card :)

Suits me perfectly.

I'm nearly 50, still studying and have a valid student card. Gimme some discount...

btw: I'm always financially challenged, thanks to this hobby/sport.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it sucks for students who can't afford to enter races, but my point stands, they are fortunate enough to have the luxury of university education.

They could choose to take that money (R30k for 4 years) and use that to cycle every race they wanted, but instead they are choosing to use it to study.

Sure its a no brainer decision but still they had a choice and they should accept that they are going to not be able to afford the races.

mmmmmm No

You studying(sponsered by parents no doubt) means you are fortunante yes and hats off to them seeing the value of education, but that doesnt mean you cant earn an income, there is plenty work that will enable you to enter these races. barman, waiter etc etc.

No sympathy here boet, get a part time job(we all did it as students, so can you) or keep on canoeing...simple :angry:

Suits me perfectly.

I'm nearly 50, still studying and have a valid student card. Gimme some discount...

btw: I'm always financially challenged, thanks to this hobby/sport.

I will shortly be in the same boat, although Im not 50. Should it apply to part-time students as well.

mmmmmm No

You studying(sponsered by parents no doubt) means you are fortunante yes and hats off to them seeing the value of education, but that doesnt mean you cant earn an income, there is plenty work that will enable you to enter these races. barman, waiter etc etc.

No sympathy here boet, get a part time job(we all did it as students, so can you) or keep on canoeing...simple :angry:

That was my point - you have a choice. I am not saying you can't also get a part time job, my point was that R30k a year means that they can't feel sorry for themselves.

I was a student too and got bursaries and jobs etc to fund my sporting activities.

Bike races are expensive to organise. If it is not up to standard then you will have an irrate rider placing posts on The Hub about your C#@p race.

I have just been involved in organising a small race with 350 riders over a 50/19/5km route set-up. It cost us in excess of R 30k to put on the race, this does not include any of our time which if charged at our professional rates would add another R25k to the race costs. The entry fees R140/R80/R20 did not cover the race costs and a minor sponsorship covered the losses on the race.

Before posting and complaining about race fees, commit yourself to helping organise a race and see what goes into preparing and presenting an event. Race fees are only going to rise as fewer riders are prepared to take the time to helping and setting up races.

That was my point - you have a choice. I am not saying you can't also get a part time job, my point was that R30k a year means that they can't feel sorry for themselves.

I was a student too and got bursaries and jobs etc to fund my sporting activities.

Sorry man thought you were the OP, very similiar avatars :blush:

To the OP...cry me river, get a part-time job....earn pocket money, enter your races...problem solved, no need to thank <_<

I have no time for a student job, even in the holidays we get projects.

The times are changing.

SON ! Don't be so friggin lazy. Get a Job. Less playstation, less 'free' samples, less pretty girls.

Or else become a surfer or join the ANC.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

A bit off the topic but where can I get a racing license? Do you need to be part of a club to get it? Im doing a race on 13 August that only costs R50 for a 30km mtb route...

I am not canoeing due to time constraints, to clear that up.

Student cards are not easy to fake.

I'm studying architecture, known for its work load being huge.

I cant remeber who said it, but studying isnt 30 000 for 4 years, its around 30 000 a year, cant expect parents to pay that and all your other expenses.

Some people who arent in the situation wont understand. But i am glad to see some people are agreeing with me. I get the feeling that students arent being taken seriously because people feel we ae still wet behind the ears.

THERE IS NO TIME FOR A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, as said before.

A student can only get a job if they are studying something silly like a BA or something.

All students have student cards, one would just need to present that, and yes i have seen how the races are organised "from the other side" and i know that the rate can be cheaper.

I have no time for a student job, even in the holidays we get projects.

The times are changing.

Entering the Dusi, a 3 day canoe race from PMB to DBn, is only like R300 for students, if that, it is far more worthwhile and the price is justified. You get food, beer, powerade, t shirts, thousands of free samples, amazing girls to welcome you at the end and a prepared route like none other.

CSA has to wake up in life, and the race organisers.

Sounds to me like you have some soul searching to do chap. Life is tough. There are choices. If you think you dont have time now wait till you are married with children and working. Your student days will feel like a holiday on a tropical island. I suggest you stop moaning and find a way to either make some extra money or give up something else. Make a choice, but don't just blame other people and presume you are being ripped off.

Bike races are expensive to organise. If it is not up to standard then you will have an irrate rider placing posts on The Hub about your C#@p race.

I have just been involved in organising a small race with 350 riders over a 50/19/5km route set-up. It cost us in excess of R 30k to put on the race, this does not include any of our time which if charged at our professional rates would add another R25k to the race costs. The entry fees R140/R80/R20 did not cover the race costs and a minor sponsorship covered the losses on the race.

Before posting and complaining about race fees, commit yourself to helping organise a race and see what goes into preparing and presenting an event. Race fees are only going to rise as fewer riders are prepared to take the time to helping and setting up races.

This is sooo true. I assisted with the Logwood Classis which took place this past Sunday. Most people have NO CLUE as to the effort that goes into organising a race. My logic is a simple one: if it is too expensive - do not enter.....end eventually the relevant races will fall off the calender.

But - expensive is relative to whoever the person is.......I've heard people complain about the costs of things, but if look you will see this same person has "top of the range bike; kit; equipment"....etc. If you cannot afford something....you miss out....end of story.

I am not canoeing due to time constraints, to clear that up.

Student cards are not easy to fake.

I'm studying architecture, known for its work load being huge.

I cant remeber who said it, but studying isnt 30 000 for 4 years, its around 30 000 a year, cant expect parents to pay that and all your other expenses.

Some people who arent in the situation wont understand. But i am glad to see some people are agreeing with me. I get the feeling that students arent being taken seriously because people feel we ae still wet behind the ears.

THERE IS NO TIME FOR A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, as said before.

As I said before, two of my best mates did architecture at Varsity, both had part-time work, so much so they even paid for trips overseas while they were studying, and all the toys they needed. Another friend you is just finishing her degree in Architecture has also been studying part-time- If they can do it so can you.

Drongo, dont call me SON!! Take me seriously, I am not inferior to you!!

Pieter,Where is that race, thats the kind of price i want to see.

mtbee, Lower the price, up the entries. Simple logic, studied in a silly BA.

Dont want to study part time and add more years onto a 6 year degree.

And it all depends on how seriously you are taking your course.

Edited by Fruity

cut cut cut

Some people who arent in the situation wont understand.

cut cut cut

Did my degree ouboet, worked partime as barman for 150 zars a night Thu, Fri, Sat and Sun....So been there done that

Here is pearl for you....Dont be slapgat, get a job. You will thank me later