Wheel Issue

samson99

If it is a new-style aluminium axle hub, you'll need a 5mm allen key and 17mm cone spanner. If it is an older steel axle hub, you'll need one 17mm allen key and one 15mm.

Adjusting cones is not that easy though, I do suggest you have someone show you how. Alternatively, I'm sure I've written about it before, you can try and search.

If it is a new-style aluminium axle hub, you'll need a 5mm allen key and 17mm cone spanner. If it is an older steel axle hub, you'll need one 17mm allen key and one 15mm.

Adjusting cones is not that easy though, I do suggest you have someone show you how. Alternatively, I'm sure I've written about it before, you can try and search.

I think you mean cone spanner.

My XT front wheel also feels loose I tried to tighten it but it was all ready tight, I just left it and it seems fine

My XT front wheel also feels loose I tried to tighten it but it was all ready tight, I just left it and it seems fine

If it feels loose, it is loose. You can only tighten the outside nut as much as the inside nut allows you to. The is why you need two spanners. One to counter lock against the other.

Thanks Johan. Without sounding like an idoit, is that a job for the shop or can I do it myself? How long would it take?

I have Shimano XT wheels.

There is your problem - right theren - XT.

Your hub cups are probably toast by now. Replace with SLX. While you are at it, you may as well do the rear as well. No play there?

You only need to undo the nuts on ONE side of the axle. Undo the side opposite your brake rotor.

On the rear, undo the side opposite your freewheel body.

Replace your bearings. I think they are 3/16" - 22 off per hub.

Pack in the grease.

When you pull the axle out, check to see that none of the balls have fallen into the hub. IE check to see if you have even numbers.

Download the explode view off the Shimano website to check your nut and washer sequences.

Well done for DIY.

Edited by The Drongo

YOU ARE ALL WRONG!

The size of cone spanner depends on weather it is a front or a rear wheel...Front wheels need a 13/15 and rear a 15/17 if it is of the cone and cup stuff.

If it is an american classic wheel (sealed bearing stuff) you will need 2x19. Good luck in finding one.

etc.

:lol:

YOU ARE ALL WRONG!

The size of cone spanner depends on weather it is a front or a rear wheel...Front wheels need a 13/15 and rear a 15/17 if it is of the cone and cup stuff.

If it is an american classic wheel (sealed bearing stuff) you will need 2x19. Good luck in finding one.

etc.

:lol:

ARE YOU 100% SURE???

....Talking of weather. About that Halo around the moon the other evening, and the fact that it indicates weather on the way, well, here it is. Raining in Kloof today.

There is your problem - right theren - XT.

Your hub cups are probably toast by now. Replace with SLX. While you are at it, you may as well do the rear as well. No play there?

You only need to undo the nuts on ONE side of the axle. Undo the side opposite your brake rotor.

On the rear, undo the side opposite your freewheel body.

Replace your bearings. I think they are 3/16" - 22 off per hub.

Pack in the grease.

When you pull the axle out, check to see that none of the balls have fallen into the hub. IE check to see if you have even numbers.

Download the explode view off the Shimano website to check your nut and washer sequences.

Well done for DIY.

And one of the most highly sought after tools for this project is one of those magnets stuck on the end of a telescopic aerial! Fishes out all the BB's on one side, all in one go! Much better than searching all night for that little BB that fell out somewhere in the workshop!

ARE YOU 100% SURE???

....Talking of weather. About that Halo around the moon the other evening, and the fact that it indicates weather on the way, well, here it is. Raining in Kloof today.

Doh! Fank u's mr. speller Nhazie!

Johan is correct. While adjusting the cones is quite easy the first time you do it can be very tricky and easy to get either too tight or too loose. Just one of those jobs that you learn over time with feel. Not a job for a torque wrench for sure :P

Johan is correct. While adjusting the cones is quite easy the first time you do it can be very tricky and easy to get either too tight or too loose. Just one of those jobs that you learn over time with feel. Not a job for a torque wrench for sure :P

you had enough practise at it hey swift ;)

They didn't call me swift for nothing hee hee. Man Shimano hubs just drink up water when going through puddles. Just as well there was "Hope" out there and now I have loads more free time on my hands......... Just as well rouxtjie sold his wheels from the old Zula :clap: XT hubs = 0 ..... Hope pro = 1 I now sleep easy at night after the GF has gone through puddles.