Cyclist dies after hitting jogger

Tumbleweed

Guest agteros

I think that "Cyclist critical after hitting jogger" is inaccurate reporting for South Africa, well for me anyway.

My definition of a 'cyclist' is someone riding a bicycle for the purpose of practicing their sport. Someone using a bicycle as a means of commuting, in my mind, is not a cyclist but just a commuter on a bicycle. Big difference.

When I read "Cyclist critical after hitting jogger" I picture ripped lycra clothing, damaged helmet and a snapped Pinarello frame.

Calling a commuter on a bicycle a cyclist is like calling a pedestrian who is running an athlete. Not the same thing.

You don't call a formula 1 driver a 'motorist' because he is in a car.

So, with this in mind, was the jogger actually a jogger or just a pedestrian in a hurry?

The wrong choice of words can be misleading :blush:

WRONG! FAIL!

A pedestrian who runs is not a pedestrian, he/she is a runner / jogger

You are confusing actions with intentions

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WRONG! FAIL!

A pedestrian who runs is not a pedestrian, he/she is a runner / jogger

You are confusing actions with intentions

And by the same token, a person riding a bicycle is a cyclist. Whether he's "practising his sport" (FFS!) or riding to work, or being a security on bike patrol.

Apparently the cyclist dies of his injuries on Friday morning.

The accident happened about 500m into the Chiltern time trial course on time trial night. This road is narrow and has no verge and as per usual the runners run contra-flow. The cyclist had passed some faster runners already when the accident occurred. The runner apparently did have lights/reflective bands/material. The cyclist was not wearing a helmet nor did he have any lights. The runner is also a cyclist who has previously had an accident where he went left, the other person went right, so he went right and then that person went left so this time he decided to stand still. It appears, if there were no pre-existing conditions that could have been affecting the cyclist, that where/how he hit his head caused the trauma. It also took the emergency services the best part of an hour to arrive.

RIP dude.

Apparently the cyclist dies of his injuries on Friday morning.

The accident happened about 500m into the Chiltern time trial course on time trial night. This road is narrow and has no verge and as per usual the runners run contra-flow. The cyclist had passed some faster runners already when the accident occurred. The runner apparently did have lights/reflective bands/material. The cyclist was not wearing a helmet nor did he have any lights. The runner is also a cyclist who has previously had an accident where he went left, the other person went right, so he went right and then that person went left so this time he decided to stand still. It appears, if there were no pre-existing conditions that could have been affecting the cyclist, that where/how he hit his head caused the trauma. It also took the emergency services the best part of an hour to arrive.

RIP dude.

Thank you for the update, and the topic title has been changed.

RIP.

Would be nice if we could get some more info on this. I run against traffic at night so that I can see what cars are heading my way, and I must admit to getting on the grass if I see a car, bike or baby stroller heading my way. SA din deed, but it is winter and I doubt that any party in the accident had lights or the right clothing ( high visability ) cloths on...

Guest agteros

Would be nice if we could get some more info on this. I run against traffic at night so that I can see what cars are heading my way, and I must admit to getting on the grass if I see a car, bike or baby stroller heading my way. SA din deed, but it is winter and I doubt that any party in the accident had lights or the right clothing ( high visability ) cloths on...

Not trying to pick sides, nor apportion blame. This really is sad, however there is nothing in the law that compels pedestrians (I include runners here) to wear lights / visible (reflective) / safety clothing other than common sense, unlike a cyclists that is compelled by law to have lights / wear helmet.

It stays tragic irrespective of the technicalities of the accident.

RIP to the deceased.

Not trying to pick sides, nor apportion blame. This really is sad, however there is nothing in the law that compels pedestrians (I include runners here) to wear lights / visible (reflective) / safety clothing other than common sense, unlike a cyclists that is compelled by law to have lights / wear helmet.

It stays tragic irrespective of the technicalities of the accident.

RIP to the deceased.

I agree. If you kill a pedestrian while driving a car, you will be arrested. I seem to remember a statictic from some years back that 9 out of 10 pedestrian deaths can be attributed to drunkedness on thepart of the pedestrian.

Look, I don't know who, if anyone is to blame. The likelihood is that there was a small bunch of runners, probably taking up a little more of the road but being time trial night I'm sure that most of the runners would have had some sort of reflective clothing/belt. However for it to be reflective you need to shine a light onto it. If the cyclist (security guard) did not have a light then the reflective material would not work. Coupled by the fact that security guards typically wear dark clothing the chances are the runner would not of seen him until quite late.

Hi all sorry if I have this wrong but doesn't the heading say "Cyclist dies after hitting jogger" but all of of you say that he's critical and in ICU :unsure:

Hi all sorry if I have this wrong but doesn't the heading say "Cyclist dies after hitting jogger" but all of of you say that he's critical and in ICU :unsure:

If you look at an earlier post on this page, richocet rabbit updated us on his condition.

He was critical on the 15th when the post started..

Sorry didn't see the post of the cyclist dying

RIP

No worries. I only changed the topic after receiving a PM this morning.

Look, I don't know who, if anyone is to blame. The likelihood is that there was a small bunch of runners, probably taking up a little more of the road but being time trial night I'm sure that most of the runners would have had some sort of reflective clothing/belt. However for it to be reflective you need to shine a light onto it. If the cyclist (security guard) did not have a light then the reflective material would not work. Coupled by the fact that security guards typically wear dark clothing the chances are the runner would not of seen him until quite late.

This is a tragic story, may the unfortunate victim RIP.

I went around the neighbourhood yesterday and , it just does not add up. The road is more then wide enough for all, Fyfe Road is well lit up, with street light on both sides of the road and with 90% of them working( still on early in the morning), then the strangest thing was that I could not find a security hut anywhere in the area, let alone any guards either.

This is a tragic story, may the unfortunate victim RIP.

I went around the neighbourhood yesterday and , it just does not add up. The road is more then wide enough for all, Fyfe Road is well lit up, with street light on both sides of the road and with 90% of them working( still on early in the morning), then the strangest thing was that I could not find a security hut anywhere in the area, let alone any guards either.

He could have been commuting from Clermont to Cowies Hill, where there are plenty of guard huts or to visit his wife/girlfriend who works ....... We also don't know if there were any other factors in play. Maybe the security guard had been drinking/smoking, maybe he had taken a blow to the head and had pre-existing concussion, maybe he had bad eyesight & struggled to see at night or even a pre-existing blood clot....too many unknowns. It was an accident...with the most unfortunate result.