Cyclist dies after hitting jogger

Tumbleweed

They do this everywhere - I ride straight at them if they are running in the road and they usually jump smartly out of the way. Have had a few verbal altercations with the more obtuse variety however. Part of the reason I don't road ride anymore - dangerous drivers and runners...

If i am running in the road,due to no pavement, and you aimed at me......you would get more than just a verbal altercation.

No wonder cyclists are getting such a bad reputation :(

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If i am running in the road,due to no pavement, and you aimed at me......you would get more than just a verbal altercation.

Lovely. And your attitude to a car coming head on at you?

FFS! I know I stirred a bit, but it didn't take long to polarise this one.

Lovely. And your attitude to a car coming head on at you?

FFS! I know I stirred a bit, but it didn't take long to polarise this one.

Wait, wait, gummi, what's your attitude to the cars that nearly murder you as a cyclist? Or you as a runner?

I don't think it has anything to do with cyclists if you do not want to give way to a runner, or whatever, it is the person. I bet if you think like that when you are on the bike, you are probably also the oke shouting at cyclists when you yourself use the road, or when someone comes riding up the singletrack when you re going down.

This was probably just an accident, in the dark and both parties could be wrong or right, depending on who tells the story.

In all honesty whether the cyclist wore a helmet or not, it is stil kind of freaky to think the cyclist ends up in hospital and the runner is fine, especially seeing that this was a securtiy guard and not some pro cyclist hitting the deck at 50km/h.

This was probably just an accident, in the dark and both parties could be wrong or right, depending on who tells the story.

Give that man a Bells!

Give that man a Bells!

If they both had bells, there might not have been a collision...

have spoken to someone but details are sketchy.

It appears that the runner/s did not see him (no light - dark clothing).

It was mentioned that possibly he impaled himself on the handlebar when he fell.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

It was mentioned that possibly he impaled himself on the handlebar when he fell.

Eish, that must have been sore. Still don't understand how this could have happend, its so light around there - Lights from the running club, street lights everywhere.

Maybe he didn't see the runners. Did they have lights?

Still don't understand how this could have happend, its so light around there - Lights from the running club, street lights everywhere.

Dude? Okes in cars, on bikes, walking around crash into each other daily in the bright sunshine. Don't try figure it out.

Dude? Okes in cars, on bikes, walking around crash into each other daily in the bright sunshine. Don't try figure it out.

Didn't you just try this the post before? :P

Yeah, sorry Chiltern.

Hey Drongo - You dissing my hood? How is The Ville worse that Maritzbara?

Eish, that must have been sore. Still don't understand how this could have happend, its so light around there - Lights from the running club, street lights everywhere. ????

Just like I said. It's dark and gloomy. :ph34r: It's that dark you can't even see the streetlights. <_<

:thumbup: Amen to that, brother.

Didn't you just try this the post before? :P

nah, that was just giving the pot another stir :lol:

I think that "Cyclist critical after hitting jogger" is inaccurate reporting for South Africa, well for me anyway.

My definition of a 'cyclist' is someone riding a bicycle for the purpose of practicing their sport. Someone using a bicycle as a means of commuting, in my mind, is not a cyclist but just a commuter on a bicycle. Big difference.

When I read "Cyclist critical after hitting jogger" I picture ripped lycra clothing, damaged helmet and a snapped Pinarello frame.

Calling a commuter on a bicycle a cyclist is like calling a pedestrian who is running an athlete. Not the same thing.

You don't call a formula 1 driver a 'motorist' because he is in a car.

So, with this in mind, was the jogger actually a jogger or just a pedestrian in a hurry?

The wrong choice of words can be misleading :blush:

I think that "Cyclist critical after hitting jogger" is inaccurate reporting for South Africa, well for me anyway.

My definition of a 'cyclist' is someone riding a bicycle for the purpose of practicing their sport. Someone using a bicycle as a means of commuting, in my mind, is not a cyclist but just a commuter on a bicycle. Big difference.

When I read "Cyclist critical after hitting jogger" I picture ripped lycra clothing, damaged helmet and a snapped Pinarello frame.

Calling a commuter on a bicycle a cyclist is like calling a pedestrian who is running an athlete. Not the same thing.

You don't call a formula 1 driver a 'motorist' because he is in a car.

So, with this in mind, was the jogger actually a jogger or just a pedestrian in a hurry?

The wrong choice of words can be misleading :blush:

A cyclist is someone riding a bike. That's it really. Globally speaking there's a lot more people doing it for transport than the reasons you mention.