Cyclist dies after hitting jogger

Tumbleweed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the jogger using the dedicated jogging lane - on the wrong side of the road?

Talk about a clothesline takedown...

What the hell is wrong with us wimpy cyclists - "Mosquito bites cyclist - Cyclist down" bunch of frikken pansies!

Just an observation, if he was a security guard riding a bicycle, logic tells me that he should have been patrolling... How fast was he going that he "lost control and slammed into a jogger"?

Perhaps the security companies should invest in some lights front and back for these guys as the guys I have seen riding in the surrounding neighbourhoods don't have such "luxuries".

Just an observation, if he was a security guard riding a bicycle, logic tells me that he should have been patrolling...".

Explain your logic?

The rest of us figure he was riding to, or from, work...

i'm still curious as to how the jogger got off unscathed. :blink: maybe the jogger was a matador. grabbed the bull by the curly horns and made it eat some curb.. any confirmation of this Tumbles?

bad taste aside, healing vibes to Mr Security Guard.

The state of some of the bikes in our 'hood are bad.

The chain is so dry you can hear is squeaking a block away, and when they ride down my little road the brakes are not effective enough to stop at the stop sign so the dude walks down the hill. no lights, or even reflectors...

Maybe to sneak up on the criminals?

i'm still curious as to how the jogger got off unscathed. :blink: maybe the jogger was a matador. grabbed the bull by the curly horns and made it eat some curb.. any confirmation of this Tumbles?bad taste aside, healing vibes to Mr Security Guard.

Would make a great story…will get the folk in our Durban newsroom to follow it up <_<

i'm still curious as to how the jogger got off unscathed. :blink: maybe the jogger was a matador. grabbed the bull by the curly horns and made it eat some curb.. any confirmation of this Tumbles?

bad taste aside, healing vibes to Mr Security Guard.

I wonder if Mr Security Guard wore and helmet?,What is the chances?

Explain your logic?

I ride past plenty guys commuting from Claremont every morning go in that direction, they normally always stick to the main roads as well. I know that they have guys patrolling that area on bicycles as well. So could have been either.

They need to be given lights, helmets & reflective gear, As Ive said - Ive almost taken one of these chaps out.

Ill bet he didnt have a lid on. It should be compulsory that if you ride a bike you should wear a helmet. I recently wiped out, when I look at my Rudy Project Helmet and think that my noodle could have taken the impact is is very scary. The helmet is trashed. Unfortunately many people dont have food to eat so the cost of a basic helmet is out of the question.

Government should step in and make it compulsory that when a bike is sold, the sale should include a helmet. Then they can police the situation. Those poor people with bikes already should be given helmets.But then again government are so focussed on self enrichment that this would never receive any attention.

Anyway you hang in there Mr Security

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

Explain your logic?

Fyfe Avenue in the leafy suburb of Westville is relatively far from any industry that could require the services of a security guard. Judging by the demographics of the area it is highly inlikely that a security guard would own property in this area and would be cycling to of from work. There are however numerous security huts situated at the beginning of some roads that house a security guard that do hourly patrols in a designated area. In order for said security guard to cover a predetermined area they are equiped with a "Game special" type mountain bike. Hence the (my) conclusion via a process of elimination (perhaps logical was the wrong choice of words) that the security guard worked in the area and was stationed at one of these huts and was out on patrol.

Grebel that's probably exactly what it is and just another sensationlist headline.

" cyclist critical after hitting a jogger "

I'm not detracting from the seriousness of the injury and I sincerly hope he makes a speedy and full recovery, but I'm sure in the dangerous world of protecting properties many a security gaurd have been injured in the line of duty.

A little off topic but when our locals got delivery of those yellow bikes in the area I noticed the kids had helmets on. I think the kids wore them once, I think its absolutely stupid to give these kids bikes and then not educate them on safety and the rules of the road (they ride in packs, on the wrong side of the road and tend to wobble everywhere!)

I have mentioned before that South Africa needs to introduce something at schools to educate children on road safety so when they get older they know how to stay alive, be it on a bike or in a car.

Edited by Mojoman

Fyfe Avenue in the leafy suburb of Westville is relatively far from any industry that could require the services of a security guard. Judging by the demographics of the area it is highly inlikely that a security guard would own property in this area and would be cycling to of from work. There are however numerous security huts situated at the beginning of some roads that house a security guard that do hourly patrols in a designated area. In order for said security guard to cover a predetermined area they are equiped with a "Game special" type mountain bike. Hence the (my) conclusion via a process of elimination (perhaps logical was the wrong choice of words) that the security guard worked in the area and was stationed at one of these huts and was out on patrol.

It could be both( he commutes or was patroling - maybe he was commuting to work on his bike and then patrols on another bike) - All agree to disagree, as there is too much speculation. I know this area, have ridden & driven a thousand times. The guards DO NOT wear helmets, the DO NOT have any lights or any reflective gear. The area is well lit .

Was the jogger using the dedicated jogging lane - on the wrong side of the road?

Talk about a clothesline takedown...

What the hell is wrong with us wimpy cyclists - "Mosquito bites cyclist - Cyclist down" bunch of frikken pansies!

Exactly, the correct approach is to hit the jogger / pedestrian / tourist / drunken reveller square on and use their body as a mattress. Works like a charm, done it several times, although it must be said some mattresses are comfier than others.

It could be both( he commutes or was patroling - maybe he was commuting to work on his bike and then patrols on another bike) - All agree to disagree, as there is too much speculation. I know this area, have ridden & driven a thousand times. The guards DO NOT wear helmets, the DO NOT have any lights or any reflective gear. The area is well lit .

Sounds like the security company also needs some educating!