Why dont pro cyclists wear compression socks?

gummibear

Also quite interesting that in the IM Capetown you will NOT BE ALLOWED TO EVEN TAKE PART WITHOUT A WETSUIT.

I wonder why? Wait, let me quote the race director:-

"Cape Town is known for its colder waters. The temperature is expected to be anything between 12 and 16 degrees. Wetsuits are mandatory for the solo race and with a neoprene cap we believe this will go a long way to negate the cold water. Body vests are permitted under wetsuits and skin gloves (without any webbing) and booties are also permitted."

http://www.challengecapetown.com/?p=1215

Now again. If you know nothing of the topic please do not comment and even more critisize people who do.... iiiidiot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gummi if you do the Comrades, nothing is going to keep your muscles from not being sore. My point is just that they help. If you dont think so, dont use them......

Marius that question was not directed at you.

Gents it has been settled long back in the Hub's history that you do not have to participated in any sport at a professional level to be able to comment on anything and I mean anything related to it ;) :angry:

As my wife would say 'know yourselves'!

Gummi if you do the Comrades, nothing is going to keep your muscles from not being sore. My point is just that they help. If you dont think so, dont use them......

Marius that question was not directed at you.

Okay, sorry then... so here's a question directed at you. how many IM's have YOU done?

Also quite interesting that in the IM Capetown you will NOT BE ALLOWED TO EVEN TAKE PART WITHOUT A WETSUIT.

I wonder why? Wait, let me quote the race director:-

"Cape Town is known for its colder waters. The temperature is expected to be anything between 12 and 16 degrees. Wetsuits are mandatory for the solo race and with a neoprene cap we believe this will go a long way to negate the cold water. Body vests are permitted under wetsuits and skin gloves (without any webbing) and booties are also permitted."

http://www.challengecapetown.com/?p=1215

Now again. If you know nothing of the topic please do not comment and even more critisize people who do.... iiiidiot

Jeepers buddy, you'll have a heart attack at this rate, stop getting so worked up, its a public forum, let the peeps have their opinion!

ran in my recovery pants for knysna marathon. cost R149 @ woolies

post-1830-0-17957200-1311596443.jpg

had a little trouble with the legs the next day, but only really because haven't been doing that much training for it.

ran in my recovery pants for knysna marathon. cost R149 @ woolies

post-1830-0-17957200-1311596443.jpg

had a little trouble with the legs the next day, but only really because haven't been doing that much training for it.

:lol: legend!

Jeepers buddy, you'll have a heart attack at this rate, stop getting so worked up, its a public forum, let the peeps have their opinion!

With the whole thing coming from some confusion of the definition of:

- Thick (5-7mm) wetsuit - warm

- Thin (2-3mm) wetsuit - not so warm

- Tri (thick, but thin in places) wetsuit - warm, but possibly colder in places.

There is nothing to argue about. Wetsuits are there for warmth first and foremost and that is a fact -- thats why they have been allowed in the first place. Yes the industry have evolved and they do help crap swimmers swim a bit faster, and the guys like to market them as speedsuits these days cause everyone would like to swim faster - but they do not make an already fast swimmer, faster.

The compression socks is a whole different kettle of fish and has not bee proven etc so that is a good point to argue.

There is nothing to argue about. Wetsuits are there for warmth first and foremost and that is a fact -- thats why they have been allowed in the first place. Yes the industry have evolved and they do help crap swimmers swim a bit faster, and the guys like to market them as speedsuits these days cause everyone would like to swim faster - but they do not make an already fast swimmer, faster.

The compression socks is a whole different kettle of fish and has not bee proven etc so that is a good point to argue.

Speedsuits are not the same as a wetsuit. They do in fact make fast swimmers faster, hence the reason they've been banned by international swimming.

Guest Omega Man

Then there are also a lot of people who like to comment on stuff they clearly dont know anything about. This morning some guy said that wetsuits dont keep you warm in cold water for example

They don't keep you warm. It's the urine inside them that does. lol.

With the whole thing coming from some confusion of the definition of:

- Thick (5-7mm) wetsuit - warm

- Thin (2-3mm) wetsuit - not so warm

- Tri (thick, but thin in places) wetsuit - warm, but possibly colder in places.

That sounds like the weather forecasts for SA on the SABC 7pm news :clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest Frail4Life

So nobody likes MY SECRET Weapon???

I am forced to wear Compression Socks. But I take ADVANTAGE of the benefits.

SO it looks funny. I HAVE live WITH IT.