Not sure where to start

peterg

Hello everyone,

I'm new here!

I started mountain biking a few months ago using a bike I had from a friend. That bike was recently stolen but now I find myself looking for a new one.

I have around 12,000 to spend but I don't know what kind of bikes I should be looking. I would like a dual suspension bike but past that I'm not really sure what prices are fair. I've looked at new bikes but they are rediculously expensive so it seems 2nd hand is generally the way to go?

If I was to get a 2nd hand bike, how could I tell how well the person has taken care of it?

I would really appreciate some feedback.

R12K will get you a fair entry level dual susser. Silverback and Merida are good reliable brands to look at. I would be scared of a secondhand MTB unles itt is hardly ridden, or from a reputable seller (read, "No Gumtree") unless you know how to spot problems. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for the reply!

Unfortunately they don't have anything even close to my price range in my size (large). I'll check it frequently tho!

For ridiculous deals on new bikes, check out My Link

they have very good prices on new FS bikes. Not the latest models, but new nevertheless.

Try get a mate that understands components to go look at bikes with you. Look for a decent frame, shock (RP23) and fork, you can upgrade other parts as time goes on.

Shocks, forks and components need to be serviced on a fairly regular basis, so check when the seller has last had a service.

One more thing - If it's to good to be true, it usually is!

Thank you for the fast reply!

I hope you don't mind me asking more questions?

So your advice is buy new? If so are there any stores you'd recommend in CT?

I've been looking around the classifieds on this site but there isn't too much available at the moment.

Should I be wary of bikes pre 2010?

R12K will get you a fair entry level dual susser. Silverback and Merida are good reliable brands to look at. I would be scared of a secondhand MTB unles itt is hardly ridden, or from a reputable seller (read, "No Gumtree") unless you know how to spot problems. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply!

Is that new? When you say specced? Are those specs I put together or is it just what comes with the bike (sorry, i really don't know much about this!)

For around R12000 you should be able to get a 2011 DS Silverback Mecury 2, well specced with mix SLX/XT parts fox rear shock and RS Reba front fork.

http://silverbacklab.com/2011/mercury_2.jpg

Check out the Raleigh Nomad 10, it will fit in your budget. The 2012 are coming out next month, so you may get a 2011 model even cheaper.

Both Ride Magazine and Bicycling rated it very highly especially in the value for money department.

Great tip

Thank you!

Check out the Raleigh Nomad 10, it will fit in your budget. The 2012 are coming out next month, so you may get a 2011 model even cheaper.

Both Ride Magazine and Bicycling rated it very highly especially in the value for money department.

Peter there are some killer deals on secondhand 26'er dual sus bikes that come in from time to time in the classifieds section.

Have you considered a secondhand bike? you will get awesome bang for buck

quote name='peterg' timestamp='1311679469' post='1452868']

Thanks for the reply!

Is that new? When you say specced? Are those specs I put together or is it just what comes with the bike (sorry, i really don't know much about this!)

New , bike is specced as is, even comes with MTB pedals whereas others tend to have flat pedals

Weight is 12.7kg but can be reduced as and when you want to replace with lighter parts.

Rouxtjie, I would actually prefer a good second hand bike. Seems I can get a much better bike for the price.

Are there any brands in particular I should look at? Is there anything I should look for when buying a second hand bike?

Peter there are some killer deals on secondhand 26'er dual sus bikes that come in from time to time in the classifieds section.

Have you considered a secondhand bike? you will get awesome bang for buck

Thank you for the fast reply!

I hope you don't mind me asking more questions?

So your advice is buy new? If so are there any stores you'd recommend in CT?

I've been looking around the classifieds on this site but there isn't too much available at the moment.

Should I be wary of bikes pre 2010?

I would suggest new if you do not know how to spot issues...if you can find a mate who is more experienced and knows what to look for you will find some really sweet deals secondhand.

I have bough three bikes secondhand, but my MTB I bought new.

The problem with MTbikes is that they take a lot more punishment, so they need to be maintained a lot better...