Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

Yes today is going to be hard, I wonder if any of the favourites will crack?

Well, seems like it was Nibali and Rodriguez that cracked, the two best rated climbers in the race.....who would have thought?.

Rodriguez is now completely out of overall I think but I wont write Nibali off until after tomorrow, its another huge stage and hopefully he can recover a bit.

Today would have taken a lot out of Wiggins as well, but with 90 odd sec's over Nibali now he has a nice buffer.

Wiggins is very strong but there's a new name in the mix now with Cobo which may throw a new dimension on affairs.

It seems even Menchov who hasn't hardly even been seen before passed Nib's and Rodriguez, so Yeah, wonder what happened.?

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - I wonder if the result will be different today.

Wiggens is due for a big win, he is looking good. It would have been interesting to see how he would have done in the TDF.

Interesting - I wonder if the result will be different today.

Wiggens is due for a big win, he is looking good. It would have been interesting to see how he would have done in the TDF.

The word on the street was that Wiggins was "in the form of his life" for the TdF. Just how many hours he has spent on the indoor TT over the past 2 months since breaking his collarbone to maintain his form I don't know.

The Lifecycles movie had a great clip of Kevin Evans on the TT with 1 arm in a sling after his unfortunate Cape Epic mishap....the dedication and commitment of these guys is unreal....chapeau!

Damn, that was a wicked climb! Wiggins cracked on thos 20%+ slopes, but after Nibali & Rodriguez.

Froome looked great, perhaps he would have lost less time if he could ride for himself. 20s behind Cobo, I wonder if Froome will now be Sky's leader? Perhaps he can get the 20s, with the time bonuses it is possible, but Geox has a very strong squad, stronger than Sky.

Week 3 is shaping up to be very exciting...

I have missed so much due to work this weekend.

Let me get onto those highlights packages.

:blink:

I am impressed to read how far ahead the pro orders plan their form, fitness, peaking, base training and all that.

This is a clip from an interview with Boonen during the Vuelta...

:rolleyes:

TB: We will see in the worlds, eh? (how good prep the tour of Spain will be for the World Champs).

We will see who comes out of it stronger and who can recover. For me, it’s not just preparation for the worlds, but I also needed a stage race in my legs for next season. For me, this Vuelta has been good. I am feeling better and better. I have a bad injury on my nuts (laughs), but I am still here.

Well, seems like it was Nibali and Rodriguez that cracked, the two best rated climbers in the race.....who would have thought?.

Rodriguez is now completely out of overall I think but I wont write Nibali off until after tomorrow, its another huge stage and hopefully he can recover a bit.

Today would have taken a lot out of Wiggins as well, but with 90 odd sec's over Nibali now he has a nice buffer.

Wiggins is very strong but there's a new name in the mix now with Cobo which may throw a new dimension on affairs.

It seems even Menchov who hasn't hardly even been seen before passed Nib's and Rodriguez, so Yeah, wonder what happened.?

Yes - it looks like Nibali and Rodriguez are done for this race. Its amazing thought to see the form of Wiggins and Froome, you would have made a great deal of money if you had put something on these guys before the race.

Damn, that was a wicked climb! Wiggins cracked on thos 20%+ slopes, but after Nibali & Rodriguez.

Froome looked great, perhaps he would have lost less time if he could ride for himself. 20s behind Cobo, I wonder if Froome will now be Sky's leader? Perhaps he can get the 20s, with the time bonuses it is possible, but Geox has a very strong squad, stronger than Sky.

Legendary stage, this race is just full of surprises. I am tempted to say BOOM.....Wiggins out the back :lol: but I wont, he is a class act, I think he will still be a factor.

What a ride by Cobo, he made the rest of them look like amateurs, I understood he was treated for serious depression recently, wanted to give up his career....this win should change his mind, what a win for the 30 year old climber.

Sorry to see Nib's was unable to hold on, he recovered a bit on the climb, but he is significantly down now, I doubt he will get back in contention.

Yes - it looks like Nibali and Rodriguez are done for this race. Its amazing thought to see the form of Wiggins and Froome, you would have made a great deal of money if you had put something on these guys before the race.

Yeah, indeed, but not as much as if you had put money on Cobo to win today and take the leaders jersey :) , it was a completely unexpected but fantastic ride by the Spaniard.

Yeah, indeed, but not as much as if you had put money on Cobo to win today and take the leaders jersey :) , it was a completely unexpected but fantastic ride by the Spaniard.

To true - this has been one intersting race, everyone always talks about the tour de France but this race and the Giro always seem to offer up something different.

To true - this has been one intersting race, everyone always talks about the tour de France but this race and the Giro always seem to offer up something different.

Vuelta was not always interesting - used to be a bit of an anti-climax so close after the TDF, but it has improved over the last couple of years. Those spectators yesterday were crazy!

Vuelta was not always interesting - used to be a bit of an anti-climax so close after the TDF, but it has improved over the last couple of years. Those spectators yesterday were crazy!

What do you think of the UCI's bid to try shorten it to a two-week race?

Yeah, but that was when it was a very Spanish affair I think. For the last 5 odd years its been very "international" and has been an excellent race.

Personally I agree with Nick, in my opinion the tour is over hyped, stereotyped and the riders are little more than puppets been shuffled around by overzealous directors who dictate each and every stage to a sort of choreographed pre determined plan.

The Vuelta and the Giro is racing in the rawest form you will find in any pro-tour, lots of new riders wanting to be seen and lots of established riders wanting to improve their pal-mares, I could miss the Tour completely and not really worry, but I watch these two events with much anticipation.

I think a lot of cyclist fans get drawn into the hype and trumpet blowing of the tour without really caring about what's going on and that's fine, it certainly has its place, but its like a play, one gets the feeling everyone is working to a plan, that loses it for me anyway.

What do you think of the UCI's bid to try shorten it to a two-week race?

I would be disappointed. The event has really started to grow in stature over the last 5 or so years and now attracts really big names, Wiggins for eg. wouldn't have even thought of doing the Vuelta 8 years ago, now he fighting to win it - shows how its grown.

I read that this is the toughest Vuelta ever...

It clearly shows with all the climbing and the temperatures as well.

Geez, those riders are tough.

:blink:

I would be disappointed. The event has really started to grow in stature over the last 5 or so years and now attracts really big names, Wiggins for eg. wouldn't have even thought of doing the Vuelta 8 years ago, now he fighting to win it - shows how its grown.

Totally agree. I have been enjoying the two "lesser" Grand Tours more over the last coupla years than I have the TDF.