Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/08/25/2/bettiniphoto_0087632_1_full_1_600.jpg

Bit of confusion at the end amongst the L-C team, then our man Sagan came thru

Yeah, nothing like a chat 100metres from the line hey.? :D

I think the plan was to lead out Sagan for the win, but they never expected to just ride away from the pack as easily as they did, so when they saw they had 20 sec's on the pack they quickly realised they could get Nib's into the jersey by giving him the win and not Sagan, so that's what they tried to tell him, but Lastras attacked and Nibali isn't that fast, so Sagan had to go.

A bit unfortunate for Nibali, but with the depth and strength in the team, he will get other opportunities for sure.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, nothing like a chat 100metres from the line hey.? :D

I think the plan was to lead out Sagan for the win, but they never expected to just ride away from the pack as easily as they did, so when they saw they had 20 sec's on the pack they quickly realised they could get Nib's into the jersey by giving him the win and not Sagan, so that's what they tried to tell him, but Lastras attacked and Nibali isn't that fast, so Sagan had to go.

A bit unfortunate for Nibali, but with the depth and strength in the team, he will get other opportunities for sure.

If memory serves me right Ivan Basso is also from Liquigas, and riding colorado... And he is not doing to poorly, bad fall the other day though

If memory serves me right Ivan Basso is also from Liquigas, and riding colorado... And he is not doing to poorly, bad fall the other day though

Indeed, Basso is probably the most experienced member of the Liquigas team. I haven't really been following the Colorado event except from the bits and pieces on CNN so didn't know he fell again.

Phoeew, he has had some bad falls this year already, cant be too good for his morale.

Indeed, Basso is probably the most experienced member of the Liquigas team. I haven't really been following the Colorado event except from the bits and pieces on CNN so didn't know he fell again.

Phoeew, he has had some bad falls this year already, cant be too good for his morale.

I've again been following the USA Pro event.

Cadel doing alright, but I', thinking next year BMC will be the team to beat. Gilbert, Husqovd. The Americans are doing well, to 6 positions on the overall standings.

Pan flat today, highest climb they will do is onto the stand to sign in.

Who is gonna take it.?

I think Bennati (Leopard Trek) has a good chance or maybe Degenkolb from HTC.

Cant think of anyone else, Goss would have been my first choice but as he crashed in the neutral zone :blink: and is in hospital, choices are kinda limited.

Nobody interested so I'll chat to myself. Its okay, at my age its considered normal.

Marcel Kittle took the stage today ahead of a huge crash that took down nearly all the sprinters and favourites including Nibali.

Peter Sagan again showed his class and finished second.

Nice to see in the Vuelta, like the Giro not too much Tour de France PC protocol crap and when there was a crash trapping some sprinters behind, SKY and Garmin went to the front and hammered away in the crosswinds putting everybody in the gutter and splitting the pack into four.

Radio shack who have spent almost as much time as Saxo sulking at the back and looking useless were all shelled, I didn't think they would get back, but a truce in the front gave them a second chance to recover.

Pity.!

Nobody interested so I'll chat to myself. Its okay, at my age its considered normal.

"So GOG," "What do you think of today's stage"? "Who will take it"?

"Gee", "Dunno man", "looks tough, up and down all day and finishing on a 28% gradient",...... "looks like another day for Rodriguez"!

"Yeah", "agreed, hope Nibs can limit his losses though, 20 / 30 sec's loss should be okay".?

"Yeah, I think he should be able to hold that", "Scarponi is also a factor today, he is a great explosive climber and he needs time", " remember he injured his wrist in the crash yesterday though, so I hope he can recover".?

"Sure I like Scarponi, very underrated rider".? "What about Wiggins and Kloeden".?

"Naa, dont think so, especially not Kloeden, he looks pretty out of it".

Hmm, "Okay, lets see".

"Yeah Chat later".

Yeah, it is a Grand Tour after all, G O G?

Everybody must be out riding their bikes.

Ma man Nibali after piling up after Farrar slid in the final sprint yesterday.

Not looking too bad.

16 secs down in 3rd place after Chavanel.

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/08/26/2/pic218080425_600.jpg

It is a climbing weekend where the GC contenders will prob stake their claims in some form or another.

Or maybe just limit damage as it is only week 1 after all...

http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/08/09/1/vuelta2011_stage_8_profile_600.jpg

That one above is today's 183 km route.

This is tomorrow's summit finish.

Eina! (in Leaky Gas colours)

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/08/09/1/vuelta2011_stage_9_profile_600.jpg

So Rodriquez took his second stage win as expected. Nib's limited his losses to 30 sec's as we hoped, and Scarponi showed he is present and ready by climbing the stage into a credible second spot behind Rodriguez. In my opinion he is the danger man as he is a great climber and still reasonable at the TT.

The roads today were abominable, tiny mountain roads full of corrugations and potholes, apparently they had to resurface the last 10kms for the race as the road was just too bad to use.

Just as an aside, I see Liquigas took the stage in the tour of Colorado as well, they appear to be having a good year.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Good to see Nibs claw back some time on the GC. Tomorrows time trial is going to be critical. Look forward to it.

Good to see Nibs claw back some time on the GC. Tomorrows time trial is going to be critical. Look forward to it.

Yeah, he was a bit eina after the crash.

The tt is gonna be key.

:thumbup:

Rodriguez looked awefull today, for a climber of his ability he really suffered.

Scarponi had a bad day as well, I think he attacked a bit too much early on and paid the price later. Maybe the crash effected him a bit, he should never have lost 90 sec's on a day like today.

Full marks to Wiggins though, he looked like a steam train going up that mountain with everyone clipped on behind, Nibs had a good day, 9 sec's behind the leader Mollema is not going to worry him.

I guess Wiggins is the favourite for tomorrow's TT, on paper he should take the leaders jersey, but Nibali is also not bad in the TT, so it might be close.

Liquigas has had a storming Tour of Colorado as well, 1st and 2nd today, wins on the last two stages and the points jersey overall - I would say that's a good week out. :thumbup:

So the question is.... how big will Wiggins lead be after the TT today?

Not sure if he will win, could be Cancellara or Martin.