Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

Hmm, I agree with Christie, looking at Team Sky I only really see Froome and maybe Zandio Echaide as helper's to Wiggins in the mountains, Froome is obviously in great form, but I don't know if he can ride on the front on these steep mountain passes everyday all day in support. I think Wiggins will be isolated quickly later in the race.

Liquigas has a few great support climbers like Agnoli, Maragoni, Capecchi and even Peter Sagan can hold his own for a while, so Nibali has a strong team.

I do agree that Liquigas have the stronger team.

But Sky will not need to ride on the front, just match the moves of Nibali. Then take over once all of Nibali's team mates have dropped off.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree that Liquigas have the stronger team.

But Sky will not need to ride on the front, just match the moves of Nibali. Then take over once all of Nibali's team mates have dropped off.

Yeah, they could do that I guess. I think Nibali is a better climber than Wiggins and he may get some assistance from other Italian teams like Lampre with Scarponi and boys, but Yeah, Nib's will still have to get back 30 odd sec's to win however one looks at it.

A lot is still unknown but I think we will have a good idea after Wednesdays stage as to who is in and who is out.

I love the Giro and the Vuelta, real racing, real tough courses and no hype.

So who will take it today. Uphill finish at the top of a mountain.?

I am going to say the climbers like Nib's, Rodriguez, Scarponi etc are going to be looking for some time back from Wiggins, I have a feeling Scarponi is going to look for stages now and not the overall so he is a good possible, but there's lots of good climbers in this event, its going to be a doozi.!

I think today will be critical - back to the mountatins, everyone expecting moves from Wiggins, Nibali and co - its going to be good. :thumbup:

Sky has a tactical dilemma, I think....

Who to push towards glory - Wiggins or Vroome. :blink:

Scarpo has to get back as he is way back.

Rodriguez is also eina after being minutes back.

Nibali is in a good position.

He must just limit damage. There is still a lot of racing as this only week 2!

:)

Today is tough!

Igor Antón says...

"This was one of the stages I looked at in July. It’s a real leg-breaker that’s up and down all day. The final climb is not the toughest summit finish but it ramps up as it approaches the top and the accumulation of climbing will take a toll."

I think today will be critical - back to the mountatins, everyone expecting moves from Wiggins, Nibali and co - its going to be good. :thumbup:

Yeah, today will be a good indicator as to who REALLY has the form and the will to win overall - I still think Nibali is very well placed to defend his title, he is a good climber and very consistent, he has a super strong team and he is motivated to defend his No1.

It will take a really bad day for him or a really good for the others to unseat him.

Sky has a tactical dilemma, I think....

Who to push towards glory - Wiggins or Vroome. :blink:

Scarpo has to get back as he is way back.

Rodriguez is also eina after being minutes back.

Nibali is in a good position.

He must just limit damage. There is still a lot of racing as this only week 2!

:)

I don't think Froome is a candidate for overall, unless Wiggins has a serious collapse, which is unlikely, I think he will remain the one to support for overall.

Hmm, SKY didn't look convincing today and I am surprised Froome was flogged like that, as Wiggins didn't need to chase.

Froome cant keep that kind of pressure up and there was no-one else to help Wiggins,I think he will be isolated early in the big mountains. At the 4km mark when Rodriguez attacked I still counted 3 Liquigas riders in the pack.

Nibali now only 11 sec's behind Wiggins with the really steep mountains which favour him still to come. I like his chances. :)

Hmm, SKY didn't look convincing today and I am surprised Froome was flogged like that, as Wiggins didn't need to chase.

Froome cant keep that kind of pressure up and there was no-one else to help Wiggins,I think he will be isolated early in the big mountains. At the 4km mark when Rodriguez attacked I still counted 3 Liquigas riders in the pack.

Nibali now only 11 sec's behind Wiggins with the really steep mountains which favour him still to come. I like his chances. :)

Yes its tight at the top now, starting to look like the favourites are pulling away from the rest. Nibali still looking good.

Another bumpy day today with a short sharp steep climb at the end. Ideal day for another break to survive, but if the pack hits the final slope together its bound to be another Rodriguez victory. Its another tailor made finish for him.

I was interested to hear Nibali's comments saying he wont attack (well right now he doesn't need to)as the event is so tough you need to be consistent every day, having a bad day can lose you the event.

His plan is to just follow wheels now and leave the rest up to the others. Good plan I think, he is only 11 secs back with no pressure on his team to defend the jersey, no more TT's where he could lose time to Wiggins, and the really, really steep climbs which favour him still to come.

Still a young man but speaks with real experience.

Another bumpy day today with a short sharp steep climb at the end. Ideal day for another break to survive, but if the pack hits the final slope together its bound to be another Rodriguez victory. Its another tailor made finish for him.

I was interested to hear Nibali's comments saying he wont attack (well right now he doesn't need to)as the event is so tough you need to be consistent every day, having a bad day can lose you the event.

His plan is to just follow wheels now and leave the rest up to the others. Good plan I think, he is only 11 secs back with no pressure on his team to defend the jersey, no more TT's where he could lose time to Wiggins, and the really, really steep climbs which favour him still to come.

Still a young man but speaks with real experience.

Yes, I think if there had been another time trial Nibali would have been in trouble but now I think he is just going to try every day chip away at Wiggins`s lead - well thats if he does not suddenly struggle or lose form, but so far he looks strong.

Yes, I think if there had been another time trial Nibali would have been in trouble but now I think he is just going to try every day chip away at Wiggins`s lead - well thats if he does not suddenly struggle or lose form, but so far he looks strong.

Yeah, I think that's his plan and I think its sound. Liquigas is a very professional outfit and his team is looking solid.

Wiggins himself is very strong, but his team is lacking, apart from Froome they are conspicuous in their absence, a bit like 'Berto and Saxo at the tour.

Look, anyone can have a bad day, Wiggins as well, we hope not as its looking like a good race so far, but Yeah, anything can happen.

And the route has moved to the less parched north west - rain forecast today.

This is s great bike race, not so much hype and lots of action.