Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

every year alot of guys pull out of the vuelta to get ready for the world champs, As the tour gets into its second week you will see more riders just abandon the race for no reason. im sure they can move the wc to later in the year.

Looks like Nibali struggled a bit yesterday. Rodriguez looking super strong!

Quite an awesome finish yesterday. 24% gradient... :o ouch!

Remember that Rodriguez looked really good in the Giro as well. I think he's going to do it!

I think its going to be an interesting race - 3 weeks a long way to go. Guys who look good this week may struggle later and vice versa.

Well I hope so - I was not happy to see Nibali struggling :(

Looks like Nibali struggled a bit yesterday. Rodriguez looking super strong!

Quite an awesome finish yesterday. 24% gradient... :o ouch!

Remember that Rodriguez looked really good in the Giro as well. I think he's going to do it!

Yeah, the race is turning out very interesting. I think heat will also play a huge factor, 33 degrees outside means the heat reflected from the road is much higher, probably up to 40 degrees at least. Hectic stuff, I saw some of the guys getting ice packs to stick under their shirts to keep the core temp down.

I don't think Nib's struggled, few will stay with Rodriguez on a gradient like that, Kloeden was shelled at the bottom and Wiggins lost almost a minute, it was made for him.

Liquigas is very strong and have finished most tours this year with a full team, that's more important as it's likely Nibs will have a full strong team until the end.

I don't think Rodriguez will win unless he can build up a big time buffer, Nibs and company will take minutes from him in the TT.

I think so far Nibali is looking strong and I like his team, very competant,.....but I think Scarponi has yet to show his face, he is a super climber and pretty consistent, lets see, I will be surprised if he is not up there in the mix.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arvesen-in-high-speed-vuelta-a-espana-crash

Team Sky rider finishes stage, avoids serious injury

After crashing at 70kph, Team Sky's Kurt-Asle Arvesen would be excused if he abandoned the Vuelta a España, but the hearty Norwegian soldiered on to finish stage 5 in Valdepenas de Jaen in 169th place, safely inside the time limit.

Arvesen was on a descent in the middle of the 187km stage when a child crossed the road in his path, and the rider could do nothing to avoid hitting him.

The Norwegian described the incident to VG Nett. "I saw that it was going to go completely wrong, I saw the whites of his eyes just before I hit him, fearing the worst. This is definitely the worst I have experienced on the bike," Arvesen said.

According to the report the boy ran into the road to pick up a bidon that was discarded by another rider, and was struck by Arvesen. The rider was also thrown by the impact, his bike destroyed, but Arvesen escaped only with bruises and lacerations, according to his team.

He was concerned about the boy, but said in a lucky coincidence, his team's support vehicle was parked near the scene and his masseur ran to help the child.

Arvesen was later told that the boy was relatively unhurt with some bruises and a cut lip.

Arvesen, in his final year before retirement, has had his share of mishaps this season. Not only did he crash in the team time trial on stage 1, he also crashed and broke the saddle off his bike in Paris-Roubaix, riding 20km without a seat before finally quitting the race.

He was due to race the world championships for Norway, but is now concerned he might not be fit to start in Copenhagen. "I must give it a few days first. Am I not 100 percent, but we have others who can do a good job. I will not take any decision on it now, but I feel surprisingly good."

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed

Yeah, did you see his Pinarello.? Broken into three pieces.

Hope it wasn't a Cheap Chinese copy or it may end up in a pic here somewhere. :unsure:

GO - LIQUIGAS!! Good finish by Sagan followed by 3 other Liquigas riders including Nibali - a good team effort. It looks like Sagan held back slightly to possibly allow Nibali to take the time bonuse but when it looks like Lastras might take it he had no choice but to take the stage for the team.

Its also good to see another ex MTB rider doing well on the road.

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/08/25/2/bettiniphoto_0087632_1_full_1_600.jpg

Bit of confusion at the end amongst the L-C team, then our man Sagan came thru

GO - LIQUIGAS!! Good finish by Sagan followed by 3 other Liquigas riders including Nibali - a good team effort. It looks like Sagan held back slightly to possibly allow Nibali to take the time bonuse but when it looks like Lastras might take it he had no choice but to take the stage for the team.

Its also good to see another ex MTB rider doing well on the road.

I haven't been following much as I have a monster of a week in the world of work.

This post sounds just fine to me nickc!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I haven't been following much as I have a monster of a week in the world of work.

This post sounds just fine to me nickc!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I was lucky, first time I managed to watch it live and it turned out to be a good day for Liquigas - maybe I must try watch it more often - bring some more luck to Liquigas - also been busy at work.

I have been watching, its been great.

Liquigas is super strong, to put 4 riders in the first five, take the stage and pull 20 odd seconds back for Nib's is the sign of a sound team.

Did you see how they just pulled Nibs away form the pack in the last 2km's and got him 20sec's, effortless, and not one team could respond.

It would have been nice if Nib's could have got the stage win and the time bonus, which would have put him in the leaders Jersey, but Pablo Lastras attacked at the last sec and Sagan had to go, or they may have lost the stage.

Nibali is not one of the fastest guys out there, but damn, he is strong.

I have been watching, its been great.

Liquigas is super strong, to put 4 riders in the first five, take the stage and pull 20 odd seconds back for Nib's is the sign of a sound team.

Did you see how they just pulled Nibs away form the pack in the last 2km's and got him 20sec's, effortless, and not one team could respond.

It would have been nice if Nib's could have got the stage win and the time bonus, which would have put him in the leaders Jersey, but Pablo Lastras attacked at the last sec and Sagan had to go, or they may have lost the stage.

Nibali is not one of the fastest guys out there, but damn, he is strong.

That is true, Liquigas are doing great...

But see old mister Schleck is taking strain in Colorado.