Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

Another bumpy day today with a short sharp steep climb at the end. Ideal day for another break to survive, but if the pack hits the final slope together its bound to be another Rodriguez victory. Its another tailor made finish for him.

I was interested to hear Nibali's comments saying he wont attack (well right now he doesn't need to)as the event is so tough you need to be consistent every day, having a bad day can lose you the event.

His plan is to just follow wheels now and leave the rest up to the others. Good plan I think, he is only 11 secs back with no pressure on his team to defend the jersey, no more TT's where he could lose time to Wiggins, and the really, really steep climbs which favour him still to come.

Still a young man but speaks with real experience.

I think you might be looking at the wrong route for today, it looks like a flat finish to me.

Should be a sprinter, if the break doesn't succeed.

Will be a very interesting weekend, looks like some very tough climbs. Nibali will not be able to sit wheel all the time, he will have to make a move a some point. And I guess it will be on Sunday.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might be looking at the wrong route for today, it looks like a flat finish to me.

Should be a sprinter, if the break doesn't succeed.

Will be a very interesting weekend, looks like some very tough climbs. Nibali will not be able to sit wheel all the time, he will have to make a move a some point. And I guess it will be on Sunday.

:lol: - Hey, it wouldn't be impossible, my days tend to blur into each other lately. :D

...So I re-looked and there is a little climb at the finish, but yeah its not critical. I don't think all the sprinters will manage that in the pack though, maybe a guy like Peter Sagan again.?

http://www.steephill.tv/players/aso-profile/?race=vuelta-a-espana&stage=12&year=2011&src=http://www.lavuelta.com/11/imgrecorrido/12_perfil.gif&finish_src=http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2011/vuelta-a-espana/12uk.jpg

Of course that's if the break doesn't stay away.

I am looking forward to the weekend, I think Nibali will hope Wiggins has a bad day or is quickly isolated in the mountains giving him the chance to attack, but both days will be crucial, gonna be a doozi.!

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Yeah, it seems as if it is becoming the Wiggins vs Nibali duel.

Wiggins surely must hunger a Grand Tour title.

Nibali will fight with every tendon in his body to keep his title.

Then again, there might be a few surprize contenders...

Go, Nibali!!!!

Good to read your commends here...have been crazy busy,first with racing the Tourdefreestate and now trying to catch up with all the work that I got behind on because of the racing.... :angry:

So best way to find out whats going on and who is looking good is on the Hub!! :clap:

So it seems I was wrong when I said I don't think Wiggens will have any form for this Tour!

Hopefully I will be able to follow the last week on the telly!!

Just one thing,was Hunter not selected for this race?I am sure I read somewhere he will race and now I don't see he's name on the start list?

Good to read your commends here...have been crazy busy,first with racing the Tourdefreestate and now trying to catch up with all the work that I got behind on because of the racing.... :angry:

So best way to find out whats going on and who is looking good is on the Hub!! :clap:

So it seems I was wrong when I said I don't think Wiggens will have any form for this Tour!

Hopefully I will be able to follow the last week on the telly!!

Just one thing,was Hunter not selected for this race?I am sure I read somewhere he will race and now I don't see he's name on the start list?

Yeah, wondered where you were. You are not allowed to go AWOL unless you produce a letter from your mother. I expect to see it here soonest. :D

Wiggins is very strong indeed, if he had another Froome in his squad I think he would have walked this race.

No, Mr Hunter is not there, I don't know where he is racing right now actually.

and another stage win for Peter Sagan - Liquigas Cannondale. GC largely unchanged.

Only 21 years old...

What a talent!

:clap:

Yeah, I thought it would suit Sagan, slight uphill, strong rider, good show.

Slow stage though, not much to talk about except the win, think the next three days will be decisive.

Today, the Vuelta orgainsers have welcomed a special guest in the directors' car: Alberto Contador. The Spaniard is watching the race from another point of view, sitting comfortably in an airconditioned vehicle.

Humph! :thumbup:

I went out yesterday so only watched the stage this morning, magnificent scenery in the mountains. I just love the way Nib's rides, snatched a sprint bonus and pulled back another 6 sec's on Wiggins, now only 8 odd sec's back.

SKY was in trouble I thought, they couldn't stop a break away getting off the front including Nibali and it pulled almost 30sec's into Wiggins before he got a bit of help and managed to pull it back.

The commentator Matthew Keenan is also first class, I really like his easy going manner, he talks brilliantly and has excellent inside info which he is happy to share, best of all he gives everyone equal time, what a pleasure to not have to listen to those two "over the hill P's" waffle on and on about "a certain Lance Armstrong" and how liked Schleck is in France.

Roll on today's stage.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Today, the Vuelta orgainsers have welcomed a special guest in the directors' car: Alberto Contador. The Spaniard is watching the race from another point of view, sitting comfortably in an airconditioned vehicle.

Humph! :thumbup:

Yeah, Matthew was saying yesterday that 'Berto won today's stage in 2009 and the climb is so severe he used a 38/29 gear combination. :unsure:

I think we may see Tom and Fabian pushing their bike up this one.! :D

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Yeah, Matthew was saying yesterday that 'Berto won today's stage in 2009 and the climb is so severe he used a 38/29 gear combination. :unsure:

I think we may see Tom and Fabian pushing their bike up this one.! :D

Yes today is going to be hard, I wonder if any of the favourites will crack?

Yes today is going to be hard, I wonder if any of the favourites will crack?

Yeah, I don't know, but at the end we will know who is strong. :D