• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then... Fark!!

post-1995-0-22756100-1318483556.jpg

post-1995-0-30382200-1318483576.jpg

So what can I do? Can I add spacers? Or do I have to buy a bigger chain ring that will clear the spider arms?

Cos that's how I had it set up with the 42 tooth ring that was on there. The chain would not clear the crank spider without them....

Good job, by the way - looking good!

Edited by divernick

• 4 weeks later...

Ok - the spacer trick did not work - the combined thickness of the spacers and the chain ring was too thick for standard chain ring bolts. Nick, the chainring bolts you gave me consisted two long and three normal length ones.

Did a scout around the E. Rand and all bike shops just looked vague when I showed them the longer bolt, and could not suggest where I could find more.

Lucky for me Mr GTRacing offered me a blue 44t chainring which will be perfect. Have just collected it, so should go great with the black chain ring bolts I got from CRC. Thank you sir.

post-1995-0-40911700-1320753060.jpg

I'm back on track.

If I can get time this weekend, I should be able to complete this... kid sitting while wife works on Sat, and 94.7 MTB followed by lunch at friends notwithstanding... :)

And mounted. Of course, as the chain ring is a couple of teeth larger than the previous one, I had to add links to the chain. The chain is an old one off my MTB. Thought I'd just mount it with that to see how things go in terms of getting the wheel to fit - not sure if the drop outs would provide enough adjustment space, but it looks fine.

post-1995-0-34851100-1320816946.jpg

Took it for a quick spin up and down the drive (barefoot on steel pedals :blink: ). The bars are narrower than I'm used to, so feels strange - the bike is responsive tho, and the gearing doesn't feel too extreme - I think it's 44 x 16 - can't remember which sprocket I mounted on the back.

Just need to replace the brake cable (the one I got has the wrong shaped fitting on the end), tape the bars, clean up the frame and stick on the decals and it's pretty much done. Oh, and decide if I will fit the black half-link chain I bought from CRC. Reckon I probably will.

The seat post does not have a mark (that I can see) indicating the limit that it can be raised. I think I need a longer post.

Anyone got a good second hand post that will allow 17.5cm extension from top of seat tube to saddle rails!? The post diameter is just less that 26mm.

looking good making me green with envy here

. we'll have to go for a ride around the east soon once your's complete...

looking good making me green with envy here

. we'll have to go for a ride around the east soon once your's complete...

Cool - that's the problem with a fixie - what ya really going to do with it!?

I'm going to give commuting on it a go, but I prefer being able to jump on to pavements / take short cuts through dirt than having to play in traffic 100% of the time, which I would have to do on this.

little peg/doofus thingy on rear triangle

Don't take this one of, you need it to hold the chain when you flip the wheel.

:) Having been buggering around with fitting / cutting / extending chain, now I see what it is for. What a cool idea - and it works! (Am I showing my roadbike ignorance here..?)

Cool - that's the problem with a fixie - what ya really going to do with it!?

I'm going to give commuting on it a go, but I prefer being able to jump on to pavements / take short cuts through dirt than having to play in traffic 100% of the time, which I would have to do on this.

i use mine mostly for rollers.....

no brakes....so makes commuting a we bit dangerous...

but besides that factor of not been able to stop.. wow what a ride.. response.. its like you one with the bike..