My Fixie Project

davetapson

Oooh niiiice...

So, I have a couple of questions!!

1. Where did you source your chain ring / rear sprocket? Was just about to hit the button on an order to CRC but didn't want to pay R300 for tracked delivery...

2. What hub did you use? BMX? Track?

3. What ratio are you running? I'm thinking of 39 / 16.

4. The paint on the inside of the rims - I've been contemplating that, but was wondering how to keep the point where there brake pads paint free - but still have a nice circular finish on the paint edge?

It's turned out really nicely - you must be well chuffed!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How's it going with the project?

Geez - it's primed and ready for painting. I've got twins and the missus has been working / some other issue these last few weekends and I've just not had enough time in a row to be sure I can lay a couple of coats all within one hour of each other.

But once I've got the top coat on, then I'll be back to where I can work on it in short spurts again.

Geez - it's primed and ready for painting. I've got twins and the missus has been working / some other issue these last few weekends and I've just not had enough time in a row to be sure I can lay a couple of coats all within one hour of each other.

But once I've got the top coat on, then I'll be back to where I can work on it in short spurts again.

I know all about time crunch with little kids!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Oooh niiiice...

1. Where did you source your chain ring / rear sprocket? Was just about to hit the button on an order to CRC but didn't want to pay R300 for tracked delivery...

4. The paint on the inside of the rims - I've been contemplating that, but was wondering how to keep the point where there brake pads paint free - but still have a nice circular finish on the paint edge?

Hey Dave, sorry for the slow reply.

Chain ring and hub came from old track bike they had lying around @ a shop. So, its all track, no bmx.The saddle is bmx. The handle bars i got from King cycles in worcester, they're a very old shop and have lots of odds lying around. Rear sprocket i bought from an high school guy that raced track and decided to go emo and quit. Rims i cheated and bought an already painted pair...shhh. I'll post you a cool gear inch chart i'm using, usually i keep it in the mid 70's. Think i'm running 18-48 or some odd currently, i'll have to check.

post-21620-0-40162000-1316611174.jpg

Oooh niiiice...

Get in on a CRC order with some other guys.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/106551-chain-reaction-order/page__p__1495847?do=findComment&comment=1495847

Edited by divernick

I have Dura Ace track sprockets (16T) for sale. R200 per sprocket (add R50 for delivery). NOS still in boxes.

post-16547-0-55555800-1316723138.jpg

post-16547-0-81515900-1316723157.jpg

I have Dura Ace track sprockets (16T) for sale. R200 per sprocket (add R50 for delivery). NOS still in boxes.

post-16547-0-55555800-1316723138.jpg

post-16547-0-81515900-1316723157.jpg

Hi Tom

I don't have a track hub - I think those have a thread mounting? If I get a track hub, I will bear this in mind.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Tom

I don't have a track hub - I think those have a thread mounting? If I get a track hub, I will bear this in mind.

Thanks

Dave

I have a hub that may work for you…

Eggsovereasy has it as one of his markings...

It also looks like you left the lower part of the headset in the frame when spraying?

It also looks like you left the lower part of the headset in the frame when spraying?

Yep - the chrome races are still in the headset - I wanted them painted black - don't want chrome if I can avoid it.

I'll try pop in Saturday for a chat. Will need to chat to Paul about rebuilding the wheel.

They're replacing my MTB frame by the way, but with a Sensor, not the orig frame. Only prob is I need to buy a new rear shock as the one on my bike is too short... R3.8k :blink:

At least I should no longer have that particular self-destructing frame in the future... and a new shock.

Anyone need a second hand Fox RP2 in good nick? Anyone?