Momsen 29er...in Reynolds steel :)

Griffin

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any updates on this? Pics? Is there a chance it will have a tapered head tube.

Gobi - this makes no sense... The diameter of most steel tubesets is about 25mm a tapered headtube would look like a moose head on an anorexic sprinbok...plus steel is nice and comfy (aka super whippy) - why would you want a nice comfy frame with a super stiff front end? That's like putting dropped suspension on your bakkie.

there is something special about a steel bike. it's not there to make you win races, but if you want to have some fun on the trail it has an awesome feel.

just built up a steel hard-tail and haven't had so much fun on a bike in years

She is a beauty... managed to get my hands on one of the only 5 in existence! clap.gif tongue.gif And yes the headset is tapered - but bottom bearing in an external cup so looks good still!

Pics to follow next week when i finish building her!

Ooooh, what's the damage on a frame like that?

$?$?

R3150 for frame + headset - at that price even the misses will approve of a new bike!

Very tempting!

But add to that the price of a wheelset, fork, stem, bars and seatpost and it's a bit less tempting.......

Very tempting!

But add to that the price of a wheelset, fork, stem, bars and seatpost and it's a bit less tempting.......

Agreed.

Unless you have some of those other bits just lying around the garage (from prior upgrades).

Now very tempting again...

Reynolds 525? Urgh. Bottom of the range stuff.

Yes - it is a snobby comment - I would imagine few people would feel the difference between 525, 725 and 853.

The headtube looks ok - not sure it is tapered (could be tapered internally) but it looks ok when built.

At R3150 - it's not a bad buy.

Head tube does not look tapered if I look at the pics but I might be wrong

As Cycho said.

The bottom bearing is in an external cup and the upper bearing is internal.