Carte Blanche expose

Cippo

Guys, forgive me. (says he opening himself for sarcasm...again)

Why is it when somebody asks a question he get lambasted by some sarcastic snide remark by some person who thinks he is the saviour of the cycling industry?

This bikejacking thing is real, it is out in the open, needs to be addressed urgently so let's darn well keep it there! It is for our own interest so lets not find The Hub as medium of relentless niggles when there is a more needed area for our aggression!

Am I tired of this bantering.....

Ok, shoot me down

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't stress MJ. And as it turns out, grb pretty much covered everything in his response.

Are we just not allowed to raise valid concerns here?

I think it is about to start raining here in Germany. That concerns me.

They're much closer to home than you think. I still think that bike shops or cycling distributors are somehow involved. Wouldn't surprise me if the bikes are simply buried somewhere. No one wants the hassle and risk of being caught in possession of stolen goods.

To be honest, I do think you watch too many American movies.

They're much closer to home than you think.

You say that with a lot of conviction, well if you have any info, then feel free to share it with us, as you, we would also like to see the final nail in the coffin of this "organised" crime.

I will say this, if people looked at their LBS as less as the enemy for once, we could all perhaps live a more pleasant and harmonious future together.

If everyone can give a 100 bucks or so, there will be a lekker pool of money that can be used to find the blixems with. Well done to Andrew Mc for his 10 gorillas, well done sir :thumbup:

I second that - well done Mr Mclean.

To be honest, I do think you watch too many American movies.

They're much closer to home than you think.

You say that with a lot of conviction, well if you have any info, then feel free to share it with us, as you, we would also like to see the final nail in the coffin of this "organised" crime.

I will say this, if people looked at their LBS as less as the enemy for once, we could all perhaps live a more pleasant and harmonious future together.

Just a theory dangler. I in fact watch very little TV. Just like all the theories out on Carte Blanche last night. No real proof either. If 50 high end bikes are jacked a month, who's buying them? Don't have the figures, but I don't think there are more than 300 high end bikes sold a month (bar the Argus Expo). So it would be noticable if there is an illegal outlet of 17% of all bikes sold in a month.

Sending the bikes accross the border is as weak an assumption as stating that aliens are taking them off our hands. Who in Mozambique is riding a new Dogma in the Townships?

If I was the criminal, thats how I would have approached this job:

Get good money from someone with a vested interest in bikes being hijacked and get rid of the evidence within 30 minutes of the crime taking place. Its far easier to hijack a bike and bury it than rebuilding it and trying to sell it. They can take 10 bikes off the street in the time it takes to do a chop shop job on 1. At a push they're probably taking the wheels off the bike and selling those through the back door.

If it was 1 or 2 bikes a month - sure it probably means that its a buy and sell op. The scale suggests that the bikes are not being turned around in the market. Go read my post about high performance cars in a particular state in the US that was subject to a lot of hijackings and make up your own mind.

Just a theory dangler. I in fact watch very little TV. Just like all the theories out on Carte Blanche last night. No real proof either. If 50 high end bikes are jacked a month, who's buying them? Don't have the figures, but I don't think there are more than 300 high end bikes sold a month (bar the Argus Expo). So it would be noticable if there is an illegal outlet of 17% of all bikes sold in a month.

Sending the bikes accross the border is as weak an assumption as stating that aliens are taking them off our hands. Who in Mozambique is riding a new Dogma in the Townships?

If I was the criminal, thats how I would have approached this job:

Get good money from someone with a vested interest in bikes being hijacked and get rid of the evidence within 30 minutes of the crime taking place. Its far easier to hijack a bike and bury it than rebuilding it and trying to sell it. They can take 10 bikes off the street in the time it takes to do a chop shop job on 1. At a push they're probably taking the wheels off the bike and selling those through the back door.

If it was 1 or 2 bikes a month - sure it probably means that its a buy and sell op. The scale suggests that the bikes are not being turned around in the market. Go read my post about high performance cars in a particular state in the US that was subject to a lot of hijackings and make up your own mind.

Miskien daar in die Kaapkolonie gaan dinge so, ek se maar net!

Miskien daar in die Kaapkolonie gaan dinge so, ek se maar net!

ALL possibilities should be investigated. No idea is a silly one. With a world this corrupt and with greed being at an all time high, why not entertain the obvious?

A theory without any substance, don't compare to Carte Blanche whereby they had already found a link in bikes being pushed across the border.

In fact Intern's bike was recovered from Mozambique some time ago.

So it's safe to say that it's as far from an assumption as possible.

The scale of bikes being stolen, do you know the scale? Have you gathered ANY info to give your theory credence?

All that can really be read is an allegation based on nothing other than "I think" and "If I" then the audacity to compare it to Carte Blanche.

unsubscribing to this thread. Too many aggro "I think I know it all" okes on here. Later guys. Have fun opening up every truck that crosses the border.

Another suggestion. O forget it. Maybe one day I'll come and open this up and say "I Told You So"

What about organising rides for the rest of the country? Just seems to be a Jozi initiative at the moment, we all wanna get involved :D

We are more than prepared to arrange rides in the rest of the country. All we need is a willing person in these areas to coordinate and advise on the routes etc. We will make sure that the local press attends.

unsubscribing to this thread. Too many aggro "I think I know it all" okes on here. Later guys. Have fun opening up every truck that crosses the border.

Another suggestion. O forget it. Maybe one day I'll come and open this up and say "I Told You So"

Don't let 1 or 2 nannies spoil it for you. Your suggestions are just as good as any, and they came with good intentions.

I think it is about to start raining here in Germany. That concerns me.

Valid concern, just not relevant to the discussion.

We are more than prepared to arrange rides in the rest of the country. All we need is a willing person in these areas to coordinate and advise on the routes etc. We will make sure that the local press attends.

Already being sorted in Cape Town - TM Bikers and the TM Website

Ride planned for 28th August.

I would love to say yes, I just don't have the time to commit unfortunately. :( . I'm more then willing to help in any other capacity though :)