Bains mtb Trails - Wellington.

The Search

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to know the same thing. Rode it once and it was awesome but would like to ride it alone in May during the week if it's safe.

Hi. There is a lot of riders that ride there alone, me included. No hassles so far except for some baboons on some bits.

The Search, is it possible(legally) to get to the top of cool runnings without out having to follow all the climbs up the normal "black route"

i want to try the white saturday, haven't done in a while, but want to a session on cool runnings too, if i see the Trail Daze skit they go left from parking, black route goes right?

• 2 months later...

how are the trails after the rain?

My last two rides was done in hail storm and heavy Gale force winds and Rain. The Black and Yellow route is were you want to be, as the trees protects you from the wind and heavy rain....careful of branches falling or trees...Its not that super muddy as the terrain is supper steep and most water runs away .You will be slipping and sliding a little bit!! More fun to be had!!! Go and Ride dammit!!!

My last two rides was done in hail storm and heavy Gale force winds and Rain. The Black and Yellow route is were you want to be, as the trees protects you from the wind and heavy rain....careful of branches falling or trees...Its not that super muddy as the terrain is supper steep and most water runs away .You will be slipping and sliding a little bit!! More fun to be had!!! Go and Ride dammit!!!

Hail storm? Here in Wellington?

Rode the white route yesterday and I reckon the sandy clay surface of those trails are even better after and during the rain. I reckon Welvanpas is actually just a great rain venue. Wind might complicate matters on both sides.

The Search, is it possible(legally) to get to the top of cool runnings without out having to follow all the climbs up the normal "black route"

i want to try the white saturday, haven't done in a while, but want to a session on cool runnings too, if i see the Trail Daze skit they go left from parking, black route goes right?

A bit late,but when you come down on cool runnings(CR) the trail crosses a road (not too far from the start of CR). I think it's commonly referred to as patatsrank climb. You can use that road I suppose, and grind up the last but of CR1. I've ridden there with other locals - not sure about private land and such, but best would be to follow the road from the top down as directions from the bottom would be impossible to explain.

Did white route yesterday, not bad but i like the black route ALLOT more!

once you go black you never go back i guess.  

Did white route yesterday, not bad but i like the black route ALLOT more!

once you go black you never go back i guess.  

White route has more variation though and there are technical bits whihc simply isn't present on the Black.  Black is great for the trees, but let's be honest, other than bits on Super G, it's hardly challenging (technically speaking, not effort-wise). 

Archived