32GI

ridr

So,

yesterday was planned as a 35km ride, sharondale to block house, prob about 2-2.5 hours.

put water into the hydro pack and accelerate 3 scoops/700ml in bottle.

we made it to block house and then decided to ride back, longer way (I would have had my wife pick me up), additional 40km.

original bottle lasted just over 2.5 hours of sipping, with some water sips in between,

a hour later (after accelerate was finished) I had a packet of 32gi chews. about another 35min ltr I had a super goo.

we were at this point about 45min from home, about 30min from home, 10km, I felt the bottom fell out. Up to that point I had the feeling of being strong. well for me anyhow.

now I know I should have had 2 bottles of accelerate for the distance/time.

What should I look at having when I get home. to recover.

(next ride/next weekend, will probably be a 50km ride, so looking at 3.5 - 4 hours)

G

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wolffm

What would you suggest i take? The endurance or accelerate?

I ride between 2 to 4 hours during a mtb race.

Also why must i consume the accelerate within 90 minutes? Is there also a consuming time limit on the endurance?

Thanks, Kelly (R's girlfriend)

Hi Wolffm

What would you suggest i take? The endurance or accelerate?

I ride between 2 to 4 hours during a mtb race.

Also why must i consume the accelerate within 90 minutes? Is there also a consuming time limit on the endurance?

Thanks, Kelly (R's girlfriend)

Each of the products work differently and it will depend entirely on your style of riding and your feeding mechanism. Accelerate is a high intensity drink, its not the kind of drink I would place into a camelback but rather a bottle. Generally the camelback crowd me included for endurance trail running would look at endurance for the camelback and accelerate for the bottle. The one drink provides me a stable and consistent feed when performing under my max threshold feels really comfortable. On the bike I eat chews to give me the additional calories as my food source. Accelerate has a very fast release its the kind of drink I use on my long rides when the intensity is quite high. In mountain biking this can occur frequently depending on the profile of the course you are riding. I am not sure how serious a rider you are, bu if you are pushing at a high rate more often I would go with Accelerate as the feed, if you are out there to enjoy and you are riding within a comfort zone, even if you push yourself out of that a little here and there I would look at Endurance. Remember nutrition is unique to each individual, I am telling you what works for most people based on feedback from the customer base. Me personally, up to 2hours I go on water only. Over 2 hours at a comfortable pace, I go with endurance, and on my long 4 hour rides or longer I use Accelerate. I combine both drinks with the chews. I tend to eat less chews when using Accelerate as it has a higher calorie content. The reason we recommend consuming the drink in a certain amount of time is due to the amount of calories we want you to have taken in during that period. If we separate energy and hydration requirements whether the 32Gi is mixed to 350ml's or 750ml's we want that serving completed within that time, NOT necessarily the amount of liquid. Take into account that on a very cold day you will tend to drink less so you might want 32Gi as a concentrate in one bottle and water in another. On a hot day you wont have an issue consuming more liquid so the chances of completing the serving with the liquid are a lot higher. Remember to separate the two as they both have different requirements.

hope this helps

all the best

M

MDW

I just read your below response,

I'm looking at doing another 80km ride next weekend (4.5 hours), thinking of 2 bottles of Accelerate, each 3 scoops with 750ml, and then a endurance mix of 1.5l in hydro pack. Might add some chews during the ride to make the jaw happy, chew on something

Comment?

G

Each of the products work differently and it will depend entirely on your style of riding and your feeding mechanism. Accelerate is a high intensity drink, its not the kind of drink I would place into a camelback but rather a bottle. Generally the camelback crowd me included for endurance trail running would look at endurance for the camelback and accelerate for the bottle. The one drink provides me a stable and consistent feed when performing under my max threshold feels really comfortable. On the bike I eat chews to give me the additional calories as my food source. Accelerate has a very fast release its the kind of drink I use on my long rides when the intensity is quite high. In mountain biking this can occur frequently depending on the profile of the course you are riding. I am not sure how serious a rider you are, bu if you are pushing at a high rate more often I would go with Accelerate as the feed, if you are out there to enjoy and you are riding within a comfort zone, even if you push yourself out of that a little here and there I would look at Endurance. Remember nutrition is unique to each individual, I am telling you what works for most people based on feedback from the customer base. Me personally, up to 2hours I go on water only. Over 2 hours at a comfortable pace, I go with endurance, and on my long 4 hour rides or longer I use Accelerate. I combine both drinks with the chews. I tend to eat less chews when using Accelerate as it has a higher calorie content. The reason we recommend consuming the drink in a certain amount of time is due to the amount of calories we want you to have taken in during that period. If we separate energy and hydration requirements whether the 32Gi is mixed to 350ml's or 750ml's we want that serving completed within that time, NOT necessarily the amount of liquid. Take into account that on a very cold day you will tend to drink less so you might want 32Gi as a concentrate in one bottle and water in another. On a hot day you wont have an issue consuming more liquid so the chances of completing the serving with the liquid are a lot higher. Remember to separate the two as they both have different requirements.

hope this helps

all the best

M

I wish i knew this before i did Sani this week. Ive been using 32gi endurance for 1 and a half years and normally my longer rides +/- 4 hrs i was fine and strong at the end. At Sani on day 2 which turned out to be a 7 hr monster i ran out of puff at 4.5 hrs , i carried on with the 32gi but i was running on emtpy, thank goodness for the nandos burger and coke i spiked my gi and after a few minutes started to get my energy back. Up until that point i had always thought the 32gi was enough to go any distance my mistake was i didnt bring the chews which was stupid and i didnt even know that accelerate was the option for the longer rides (is this correct) as i thought Accelerate was for the short high intensity 2 hr races? In future if i do a long ride must i go endurance then after 4 hrs(2 bottles) switch to accelerate?

I wish i knew this before i did Sani this week. Ive been using 32gi endurance for 1 and a half years and normally my longer rides +/- 4 hrs i was fine and strong at the end. At Sani on day 2 which turned out to be a 7 hr monster i ran out of puff at 4.5 hrs , i carried on with the 32gi but i was running on emtpy, thank goodness for the nandos burger and coke i spiked my gi and after a few minutes started to get my energy back. Up until that point i had always thought the 32gi was enough to go any distance my mistake was i didnt bring the chews which was stupid and i didnt even know that accelerate was the option for the longer rides (is this correct) as i thought Accelerate was for the short high intensity 2 hr races? In future if i do a long ride must i go endurance then after 4 hrs(2 bottles) switch to accelerate?

Hi Stevie

Its not about the GI really that caused your lack of puff, its the fact that on a day as long as that you needed consume quite a bit of calories, you will never replace the calories lost, but as an example on a 7 hour cycle leg I would be using up at least 4 servings of Endurance & and around 3-4 packets of 32Gi chews. I would look at around 250-280calories per an hour in a leg that long and hard. On my 4 hour rides, I go through 2 servings of 32Gi and around 1-2 packets of chews. Accelerate does give a quicker release and yes its for higher intensity, but it has a high calorie content 300Calories as opposed to 189Calories in the Endurance, so for a long hard session I find that either with chews works, I use Accelerate more for racing on long endurance events I use it in the 2nd half of the race to give me a little bit more of a feed. You need to experiment and see what works for you. The problem with Accelerate is that if you are performing below your max threshold and want to actually engage some fat store tapping Accelerate will not really allow you to as the glucose is much more quickly available, so for more inline and paced endurance events Endurance and Chews are a better option.

Hope this helps all the best M

MDW

I just read your below response,

I'm looking at doing another 80km ride next weekend (4.5 hours), thinking of 2 bottles of Accelerate, each 3 scoops with 750ml, and then a endurance mix of 1.5l in hydro pack. Might add some chews during the ride to make the jaw happy, chew on something

Comment?

G

Awesme, if you planning on drinking 3l of liquid in 4.5hrs you going to be stopping every 10min for a "nature break". :ph34r: :ph34r:

Now that it's cold I can do a 4hr ride with 1 bottle, normally on a Saturday. If I do another 4hr ride on the Sunday then I need 1.5 - 2 bottles.

On both days I'll eat a bar, (something like a Jungle Bar).

Last summer I did a 160km road ride, used 3 x bottles of Endurance & 2 x Low Gi Jungle bars.

My advice (and I know Mark is the guru) would be just to use 1.5l of Endurance and 2 - 3 x Low Gi Jungle Bars or 1 packet of Chews.

Awesme, if you planning on drinking 3l of liquid in 4.5hrs you going to be stopping every 10min for a "nature break". :ph34r: :ph34r:

Now that it's cold I can do a 4hr ride with 1 bottle, normally on a Saturday. If I do another 4hr ride on the Sunday then I need 1.5 - 2 bottles.

Last summer I did a 160km road ride, used 3 x bottles of Endurance & 2 x Low Gi Jungle bars.

My advice (and I know Mark is the guru) would be just to use 1.5l of Endurance and 2 - 3 x Low Gi Jungle Bars or 1 packet of Chews.

But then you were FIT :whistling:

But then you were FIT :whistling:

You right. I did a hard 120km ride on the Saturday and then 160km ride on the Sunday.

Will invite you next time we ride to The Monument.....

Stupid question, but which Jungle bars are low-GI? I always though they weren't (just perception, not scientific!) and therefore never mixed them and Endurance...

if you tell me they work with Endurance, I'll be very happy!

Isn't the rule of thumb for liquid consumption during exercise 1L per hour?

I used Acclerate for the first time during Sani this year as a third bottle that I mixed at the water tables, usually the last. Esp on day 1 and 2 , I found it made a huge difference as a boost when I was khatela. Still was poked by the end of each stage but that's cos we were flatbox throughout, and I loved the effect of the Accelerate when I needed it. Also used chews for the first time and also all good.

Stupid question, but which Jungle bars are low-GI? I always though they weren't (just perception, not scientific!) and therefore never mixed them and Endurance...

if you tell me they work with Endurance, I'll be very happy!

The low Gi Jungle Bars are the ones without the chocolate.

It states "low Gi" on the wrapper.

This stuff is a diabetic's dream, I always had k@k with what to drink & when to drink it & gells are a big no no..

now I fill my bottle, add the sachet & off I go...Won my first MTB race on sat...not a biggie, only 25k's

but the 32GI definately helped, will recommend it to anyone & everyone

big ups guys.

Cyclewizz

I tend to always drink allot of fluids, on the 80km the other day I drank a bottle (750ml) of accelerate and prob about 1-1.5l of water out of my hydro pack.

Why I'm looking at adding a second bottle is I could feel how I fell off the clip about a hour out.

So Idea is to swap to endurance x 2 (750ml), apparently with endurance I'll force the body to rather burn fat for energy compared to the higher glucose amount in accelerate.

The hydro pack will still be plain water, to sip now and then, rinse mouth out etc.

G

Thanks for the feedback, Cyclewizz, will keep an eye out! Currently using banana ones (new) but did not even check to see whether it's low-GI or not! Like I said, I always just presumed they're not.

Can't wait to play around with this combo!

BTW - those who have used Accelerate. Can that also be pre-mixed and stored or is this like the normal energy drinks, where it goes off? Also thinking ito camelbak bladder, etc.

Archived