Build-a-Bike - Enriching the lives of the less fortunate

divernick

Thanks again to Tool-Up Cycles at Grey Owl Village shopping centre for donating rims, tyres and a 24-inch girls Avalanche bike to the cause!

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to your cuz Darren and he put me onto you so that I can donate some old parts

What builds are you currently busy with?

What parts do you need?

Our gardener rocked up at our place on his newly donated bike (an old steel Giant mtb). He was very proud of his new machine and chuffed that he had ridden from home and saved on taxi fair.

Of course, being interested in bikes of any sort, I sidled over for a bit of tyre kicking...

and nearly crapped myself!

There was a hug tear in the front tyre side wall.

the front wheel was so buckled, he had uncoupled the V brake.

The rear brake's cable was so dirty, the brake hardly released.

The back tyre was so worn and smooth, it was paper thin.

the drive train was so dirty, the cranks barely turned.

when I did manage to turn them, I noticed that the non drive side arm was loose and about to fall off, but the bolt was tight. something inside was badly worn.

AND he had no helmet and no lights :eek:

I got a real fright and felt that it was dangerous for him to ride and couldn't let him go home like that.

I gave him an old helmet and lights and went off to the LBS for new tubes, tyres, grips and brake cables. After giving the bike a really thorough Clean Green shower, I set about fixing what I could. Luckily, the gears were working well (amazingly).

LBS was too busy to look at the front wheel, perhaps I can get it sorted when he is next around.

But I am still looking for a crankset.

Does anyone have one that is of donate-able quality?

Yo, who is the CT build a bike dude again please.

I have helped out a security guard with a front wheel as of late, but the back wheel is also shot and I don't have one for him unfortunately ... any help please?

@ Dalem - thanks for the offer!

At the moment I need brakes, shifters, wheels and headsets, stems, seatposts and clamps.

I don't need tyres.

@Splat & Hairy - capetown contact is neilsjack at mweb dot coza

Mashudu - a recipient of a Build-a-Bike - told me this story yesterday:

He was on a dirt road and crashed somehow. A taxi had to stop quickly to avoid hitting him and this resulted in another car slamming into the back of the taxi. The driver of this car blames Mashudu and is holding him responsible for paying for the damage and "confiscated" his bike. Crazy.

All I could do was tell him to go to the cops.

Anyone have any other advice?

Thanks and kudos go to Ricky and the team from Concept Cyclery for donating a box of saddles, seatposts, stems, pedals and helmets to the cause. Much appreciated guys!

Some lucky build-a-bike recipients will be rocking Specialized saddles and stems!

Bikes that are ready for a new home.

The road bikes are going to Lethabo Cycling Club - a development cycling club in Soweto.

The Nishiki is for Mack, a security guard who recently had his bike stolen.

424356_472280282796181_1269526001_n.jpg560973_472279736129569_911080582_n.jpg560947_472279386129604_316606510_n.jpg

I have a Trek 2200SL that would make an ideal starter bike for a competitive rider. It is 60/61cm frame size (so pretty big) and is rideable (just hasn't been used in a long time).

It's yours if you can collect. I'm based in the Edenvale area.

@ Dalem - thanks for the offer!

At the moment I need brakes, shifters, wheels and headsets, stems, seatposts and clamps.

I don't need tyres.

@Splat & Hairy - capetown contact is neilsjack at mweb dot coza

Yo Div ... I have had no luck with that email addy ....

Edited by Hairy

Hell if you CT guys have a bike for him that would be even better as his is forever breaking and I keep fixing it :(

Hell if you CT guys have a bike for him that would be even better as his is forever breaking and I keep fixing it sad.png

Ok, so the security guards bike was stolen from his house earlier in the week .... Divernick, how does one go about "registering" a person to hopefully get a donor bike ... just a basic bike to get the poor guy to work and back?