SLX vs Hayes Stroker Ryde vs Clarks Skeletal vs Magura Julie HP

Zaskar09

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for the Elixirs. They look far better than the SLX, imho.

where's Oh Mega Man to say " fashion victim".. :P

where's Oh Mega Man to say " fashion victim".. :P

With HIS Snappy Pants!? Bwahahahahahaa!!!!

I can't lie though. I am a brand whore if I can afford the stuff.

I mean, Audi, WW work shirts & casuals, Marantz amp @ home, Puma, Adidas (NOT Nike), iPad, Kindle, Rudy Project, Avid... the list goes on!

i approve of everything, except that fruitcake thing... meh. glad u sponsored His Lordship most high a new, but probably illegal liver that has now decided it's too sexy for his Appleness...

Edited by Capricorn

Dude - Media centre machine is an old Asus laptop, running XP. Not Vista. Or 7. Work machine is a 5 year old Dell inspiron 6400 with a 512MB ATI x1400. Home machine is an i7 2ghz Macbook pro running 7 & osX.

iPad fits in. And it's fantastic for business if you're on the road all the time. As I am.

Will do.

Just had a bad experience I guess, had to send the front brake in twice under warrantee, took about a month each time. Payed for countless bleeds, finally bought the bleed kit, went well as long as I bleed them every two months, then the pistons started sticking. . .

I understand that the performance won't be the same between the elixirs and the juicy 3's but me thinks the build quality is supposed to be.

Whether you buy a tazz or a landcruiser, you can do 300k in a toyota. The one might be comfier, faster and overall fancier but they'll both get you there.

Not so with Avid in my experience, maybe I just had a dud.

Think I'm going with the SLX

Considered the slightly older XTs?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23049

Going back to the OP question, I replaced my OEM Juicy 3's with the Clarks skeletal. The price difference at the time between these and more recognised brands was more distinct than current. They are at least as good as the J3's, easier to adjust and matching parts, rotors etc are a lot cheaper than the equivalent Avid stuff.

Going back to the OP question, I replaced my OEM Juicy 3's with the Clarks skeletal. The price difference at the time between these and more recognised brands was more distinct than current. They are at least as good as the J3's, easier to adjust and matching parts, rotors etc are a lot cheaper than the equivalent Avid stuff.

Thanks but that definately wipes the clarks off the list, when I upgrade I want to upgrade, I don't want to replace what I have with something as least as good.

Currently the saints are a bit out of my league, the SLX at R1300 is stretching it because apparently the kitchen's new paintjob is more important than me being able to stop. That said, my life insurance should at least cover the whole house so maybe the missus is working with a plan. . . damn smart women!

Thanks but that definately wipes the clarks off the list, when I upgrade I want to upgrade, I don't want to replace what I have with something as least as good.

Currently the saints are a bit out of my league, the SLX at R1300 is stretching it because apparently the kitchen's new paintjob is more important than me being able to stop. That said, my life insurance should at least cover the whole house so maybe the missus is working with a plan. . . damn smart women!

Haven't you heard of the "cycling expenditure quotient"? The rule that dictates that the disclosed price is 1/3rd of the actual price you paid for it...

CRC has the stroker ryde OEM for almost half the price My link, although heard some uncomplimentary reports, also Formula Oros seem really good value at R1441 My link?

I have Stroker Trails on my DH bike (they're the model up from the Rydes). They can stop on a dime... but they're 'on-off' brakes. Very little as far as feel goes.

Then I have Formula Oro Puros on my 4X/jump bike (the upper model Oros)... and they're a missoin to set up nicely. Even bike mechs dread working on Oros.

So yeah, my recommend would be Avid Juicy 5's for affordable brakes. Plenty of stopping power. Nice feel. parts available almost everywhere.