SLX vs Hayes Stroker Ryde vs Clarks Skeletal vs Magura Julie HP

Zaskar09

I've finally gone mad trying to keep the Juicy 3's working. I know, I know, but they came with the bike. To be honest, since I've bought my bike middle 2009 my brakes are literally the only things that ever broke/malfunctioned/made me P-off.

So now I want to upgrade, I've only decided this last night after the 1000000th time the piston got stuck, but money is a bit tight.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Hayes Stroker Ryde (+- R1400 per set)

My link

Shimano SLX M665 (+-R1300 per set)

My link

Clarks Skeletal (+- R1100 per set)

My link

Magura Julie HP (R1000 per set)

My link

Anyone with any experience on the above mentioned?

Please don't tell me to buy the Magura MT8 or the Shimano XTR. . . if I could, I would. :D

Thanks!

Edited by Zaskar09

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the old magura Julies ( I think 2002) on my XC bike. They are still the low pressure ones and I am happy with them. I should point out that I have not riden with any other brakes on a xc bike though. All I have to compare them to are the hayes 9s I have on my DH bike.

CRC has the stroker ryde OEM for almost half the price My link, although heard some uncomplimentary reports, also Formula Oros seem really good value at R1441 My link?

Those Oros don't look bad at all, and I love Oros, O-o-o-o-OROS!

Thanks Cap, the SLX is currently my first choice. I've only ever had the juicy 3's (first hydro discs) so I don't really have any experience in this matter. All I know is I'll never buy Avids again.

oi, why the hatin on Avid? :P Down the range, you definitely will experience more issues than higher up in the product range. I've used J5s for a long time now, zero issues. used Elixirs for a while now too, again, zero issues. THose suckers are crashed tested awesome :thumbup:.

Now on Avid codes. Bit of a learning curve, but so far no issues. Early days yet, so we'll see how it goes.

Whatever you settle on, let us know how it goes :)

Will do.

Just had a bad experience I guess, had to send the front brake in twice under warrantee, took about a month each time. Payed for countless bleeds, finally bought the bleed kit, went well as long as I bleed them every two months, then the pistons started sticking. . .

I understand that the performance won't be the same between the elixirs and the juicy 3's but me thinks the build quality is supposed to be.

Whether you buy a tazz or a landcruiser, you can do 300k in a toyota. The one might be comfier, faster and overall fancier but they'll both get you there.

Not so with Avid in my experience, maybe I just had a dud.

Think I'm going with the SLX

Just a thought, how do any of these brakes compare to the Hygia SLP that Jooste on thehubsa sells?

SLX, then if you can't get them look for a set of Formula's. Whatever you buy, get an extra set of resin pads so when you need them you aren't left wanting...

Hi, SLX by FAR!!! I had the Hayes on my bike, but they constantly scrubbed against the rotors and you had to reset them every time i put the wheel back in. I am a fanatic about noise on my brakes.

Then i bought the Avis 5's ....... Gave them back the same day (very narrow space between the brakes and the rotor thus constant rubbing as well + the plastic thingy to adjust the levers were crap) and the good people at CWC exchanged them for me for SLX (think i had to pay a little bit extra) and i have not been happier. The SLX's are perfect, good grip, no noise unless they wet.

So, definitely the SLX

I had a choice between the SLX and the Elixir 5's. Both have fantastic reviews. What did it for me was the use of synthetic oil on the Avids vs mineral oil on the SLX, plus I wanted something that came stock with a 203mm for the front.

Also - I'm prepared to do a bit of maintenance on the Avids. Some people swear by them, some don't.

As far as SLX goes - I've only heard good reports. But buying larger rotors would have put them beyond my budget, as they only came with 160's on CRC, and I wasn't prepared to pay R 2,100 for them from CWC when I could get them at R 1,300 (ex vat) from CRC.

Hayes Stroker Ryde are more equivalent to base Shimano brakes. The Trail is a far better option if you're looking at Hayes.

Clarks Skeletal - some good reviews, some absolutely SCATHING! I felt and tested a pair on a bike in Revolution the other day. Felt as if I could break the levers in my hand there was so much play in them. Also reportedly have problems with longevity and bleeding...

I'm also a bit of a brand-whore at times though. And AVID looks far cooler than SHIMANO.

Edited by cptmayhem

hmm,interesting views.have had avid elixir fives for two years now and have had no issues.they work well,have plenty stopping power(180mm rotor size).cant complain.have never tried the slx brakes so cant comment