Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I saw a couple of posts regarding the importance of lights on your bicycle but never saw the need to add them.

Got two Knog Frog China ripoff lights from Makro, one white one red. On tuesday I did my first commute with them - Huge impact!

I commute from Queenswood to Irene, using the Gautrain in between. In the Hatfield area there are enough sidewalks to easily keep to the first rule of Cycling: Don't get DEAD!

I keep to the side-walks, seeing that your odds of being hit by a car somehow decreases dramatically when you are not riding in the road ;) (much like how your odds of being attacked by a shark decreases dramatically if you stay away from oceans...)

Anyway, my route through Centurion does not have many side-walks and I need to navigate the notorious 900m stretch on Nelmapius Dr through the S curve near the Denel Office park. With the lights mounted to my bicycle I can see a clear difference in the attitude from the motorists around me. Someone mentioned an average of 0.5m more clearance when they pass you and I can confirm this.

I think driving has become too easy and routine. You are most alert when the roads are notorious, how many people have fallen asleep while driving through something like the Long Tom Pass...? Our brain switches to other issues like work or relationship issues when the roads become too predictable and we no longer concentrate on what is going on in front of you. Think about it, have you ever arrived at an off-ramp while driving on the highway and ask yourself "Am already here, can't remember the last 5minutes of driving..."

The flashing lights are something your brain is not used to and it draws your attention to it. People notice the cyclist and act in a much more responsible manner. When you don't have lights on, the brain of the motorist probably knows you are there but it doesn't focus enough attention on you and that is when people pass a cyclist only to turn left into the street 30m up ahead...

Just a theory, but at least I can say that I am never commuting without lights again...

Safe riding out there!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting dark now in the mornings...next step for you will be moving from lights where you are seen, to lights where you can see, such as the Magicshine. Brilliant, to the point where some cars mistake you for a motorbike!

Guest Frail4Life

Trying VERY HARD to get Back onto the Bike!

It has already been 10 days!

I commute from Queenswood to Irene, using the Gautrain in between.

Queenswood to Garsfontein every day ... what route do you take?

Getting dark now in the mornings...next step for you will be moving from lights where you are seen, to lights where you can see, such as the Magicshine. Brilliant, to the point where some cars mistake you for a motorbike!

I've taken to training in the evenings now. It's become too much of a hassle to commute in and out with my schedule... EG: this mornign I had a 7am in Somerset west. My office is in Century City, and I live in wynberg. I'm also seeing clients after hours, which means that I finish off any time between 5 and 8. Not ideal for commuting, so I have to get my fix elsewhere... But thank goodness I have my lights!

Does anyone know the guy commuting with his two sons on his bike in the morning from Paddocks towards Blouberg? Looks so cool, and the kids seem to be having a blast! Would love to do that with my boy soon.

Queenswood to Garsfontein every day ... what route do you take?

Up Shilling street to Soutpansberg, cross traffic when safe, luckily at 5:45 the roads aren't too busy.

Right in Soutpansberg, Left in Gordon, cross to the sidewalk on the western side, less pedestrians. Then keep to the sidewalk untill I reach the Gautrain station in Hatfield. Pretty much same route back in the afternoon.

Do you stick to Duncan all the way through to Lawley str?

Lately I've been very keen in Kilnerton road - yes it's narrow, but 99% of the time traffic is at a standstill or crawl in the mornings. Also, it adds 2km's :) So, I go up Stead, left in Soutpansberg, right in Kilnerton, Right in church, left into Duncan, then Duxburry uphill (turns into Brooklyn then Dely) and then left in Garsfontein Road. Someone tried to smoke me in Kilnerton last week, man it was funny hearing him huff and puff as we got to Church - I see him fairly often, comes up CR Swart Drive and gets on the train as well. There's actually quite a few regular commuters from the Moot to Hatfield / Varsity area, not many I've seen go much further.

I decided to try out the concept of having a bike at either end of my Gautrain journey so I brought my spare SS back from Cape Town and bought two D bolt locks from CRC.

The locks come with a mounting bracket but the locks are too big to carry inside the frame or behind the seat.

So after a week of pondering the issue I decided to mount the bracket on the front fork. This bike does the Rhodesfield to work run which is only 5kms and all on tar.

I tried it out yesterday and it worked well.

post-43-0-30329600-1332494665.jpg

An increasingly regular phenomenon on Albert Road, Woodstock & Salt River? Idiots (both kids and adults), usually on BMX or (stolen?) MTBS, salmoning against the traffic. I think I've had 3 in this short week.

• 5 months later...

This morning I learned:

• Don't commute with new components that you've not tried before. I had to stop 5 times to re-adjust the new (different) saddle.
  • Also carry more than one spare tube - got a nasty sidewall cut and now I'm faced with a commute home with no spare tube!
  • Give yourself at least 20-30 minutes leeway in case of a mechanical / puncture.

Can't wait to ride my bike again this afternoon!

Commuting on a dual sus without lockout albeit awesome for hoping cubs and the fun factor... Makes 12km in a decent training session

Commuting on a singlespeed means constanly sore legs!

you get use to it dont worry the pain goes away .