Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or a comb if you have stubborn ethnic hair like mine

At least you have hair dude, I just need a facecloth ....

• 2 weeks later...

a taxi passenger will open the door when the taxi start to pull away. Yesterday morning on Empire, hit the door @ 25km/h... shoulder blue stripe and bruised from hitting the edge of the door. :cursing:

Did my first commute since May today.

It hurt more than I remember! And there is way more hills than I remember (some of them even got steeper). What started off as a ride to see how my time compares to my time of May ended as a tempo ride with me gasping for air!

The cold wasn't so bad...

The dark was actually awesome...

I am definitely more productive when I commute (despite quickly visiting the hub to report this!)...

a taxi passenger will open the door when the taxi start to pull away. Yesterday morning on Empire, hit the door @ 25km/h... shoulder blue stripe and bruised from hitting the edge of the door. :cursing:

Eina!

OK, I managed to get a copy of the key for the showers at work. This weather this week was terrible!

So, how do you guys do it? I need my laptop, luckily have locker so can store it at work, not an issue while I am bassed at office.

Next, work clothes, as lycra does not really cut it at work. Do you guys leave a bag at work or buy a ruck sack of some sort?

I am going from Pinelands extension to foreshore MSC building in cape town. Think will go through mowbray, liesbeck then main road.

Sad part is i wont save fuel as my wife is going to drive in and only works 500m away :( Oh well.

OK, I managed to get a copy of the key for the showers at work. This weather this week was terrible!

So, how do you guys do it? I need my laptop, luckily have locker so can store it at work, not an issue while I am bassed at office.

Next, work clothes, as lycra does not really cut it at work. Do you guys leave a bag at work or buy a ruck sack of some sort?

I am going from Pinelands extension to foreshore MSC building in cape town. Think will go through mowbray, liesbeck then main road.

Sad part is i wont save fuel as my wife is going to drive in and only works 500m away :( Oh well.

I have been commuting for about a year now, have a kway backpack and take laptop along almost every day (not based at the office all the time). Also take clothes, breakfast and lunch in the backpack. It is rather heavy, but I guess it makes you stronger........(but then again, home and office is about 5km apart)

I have recently upped my commute rides. i am office based, so I try leave my laptop at work if i plan on commuting the next day. I do my best to leave my formal shoes at the office the day before as well. I have a Targus backpack laptop bag which carries a lot and is quite comfy on the back. The ride home is really nice. Just one dodgy bit getting from the esplanade to the beach front.

I have recently upped my commute rides. i am office based, so I try leave my laptop at work if i plan on commuting the next day. I do my best to leave my formal shoes at the office the day before as well. I have a Targus backpack laptop bag which carries a lot and is quite comfy on the back. The ride home is really nice. Just one dodgy bit getting from the esplanade to the beach front.

Good idea on leaving the formal shoes at the office, will make a dash to the car with flops on the day before. I think I can organize a Targus back pack.

Where do you guys keep your bikes at work? I have a place in the parking garage which only has a hook, not sure what to chain it to. Nearest thing is the sprinkler system. Going to use my road bike and normal road cleats. Think should be fine

Good idea on leaving the formal shoes at the office, will make a dash to the car with flops on the day before. I think I can organize a Targus back pack.

Where do you guys keep your bikes at work? I have a place in the parking garage which only has a hook, not sure what to chain it to. Nearest thing is the sprinkler system. Going to use my road bike and normal road cleats. Think should be fine

My bike stands next to my desk, sharing an office, but luckily the others don't mind. Also leave about 2 pairs of shoes at work as well as shower stuff.

My bike parks behind me. I share an office with 4 ladies. Will get a picture, of the bike. I ride in running shoes as I go past the gym on the way in in the mornings. I walk to my car barefoor when I leave my shoes behind. I change jobs end of the month, so will set up my new private office to be more commute friendly.

My bike parks behind me. I share an office with 4 ladies. Will get a picture, of the bike. I ride in running shoes as I go past the gym on the way in in the mornings. I walk to my car barefoor when I leave my shoes behind. I change jobs end of the month, so will set up my new private office to be more commute friendly.

keep your bike pic,. the ladies...

Cycling in winter crowns you a badass by default.

I love the looks I get. They're worth the ride just in themselves.

I love the looks I get. They're worth the ride just in themselves.

The last couple of mornings (in C Town) I felt like stopping the two commuters I came across on my way to work (dry and warm in the Landy) just to tell them what hardcore badasses they are! Respect! :clap: Myself? I openly admit to be too soft to commute in weather like we've had lately. :blush: A tri-wetsuit would be the closest appropriate riding gear I can think of.

Love this thread.....I,m not a commuter as I need my car most days during the day but I see commuter on his Mtb most mornings in Isando and am really envious.

If you're able to do it ..... Feel privileged !