Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

you bugger!! you HAD to post this today of all days!!?? this is cruel and unusual punishment!!  :thumbup:

Hehehe ... learnt to watch the weather forecast.  Saw that Monday/Tuesday was going to be the only viable commute day for the week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realised again yesterday how the dynamics of traffic changes during the day.  Went home early yesterday so commuted home during lunch time.  Was interresting how some parts of the city was almost dead quite that would be normally busy during moring and evening commutes.  And how residential area traffic changes between older people moving around that would be normally quite in the mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

yo guys... looking for an alternative route home from Century City. Eyeing out the cycling lane alongside the BRT lanes - anything I should be aware of? Any preferred routes?

Going to Wynberg. Will most likely go through Salt River then on to Black River Parkway and on to the bike lanes there. 

Any tips?

yo guys... looking for an alternative route home from Century City. Eyeing out the cycling lane alongside the BRT lanes - anything I should be aware of? Any preferred routes?

Going to Wynberg. Will most likely go through Salt River then on to Black River Parkway and on to the bike lanes there. 

Any tips?

That's your best route, I may also be starting a new job in Century City and that is the exact route I was eyeing. Coming from Rondebosch.

Just watch out for muggers when the BRT route goes under the N1, it is a frequent occurance.

I would advise riding with pepper spray and a jousting pole.

That's your best route, I may also be starting a new job in Century City and that is the exact route I was eyeing. Coming from Rondebosch.

Just watch out for muggers when the BRT route goes under the N1, it is a frequent occurance.

my current route has me going from Wynberg, along main road then on to Palmyra. All the way through to Rondebosch, then through Pinelands and Ndabeni, past Kehl's and then on to 5th Avenue to the train tracks, which I follow until Century City train station.

Learnt yesterday that if your commuting buddy says to you on the commute back home: "I am not feeling to well today", what he actually is saying in some other form of German "I gonna make you cry like little girl".  Put up a few PR on Strava again.

I think you cut the "to" short, he meant "too" 

hence: "I am not feeling too well today", so he is feeling well and strong, but not too much so ... in effect, he can hammer it, but is also letting you know in advance he is going to hammer it even more in the near future and you had better keep up.

Learnt yesterday that if your commuting buddy says to you on the commute back home: "I am not feeling to well today", what he actually is saying in some other form of German "I gonna make you cry like little girl".  Put up a few PR on Strava again.

Mind games on the commute. The struggle's real bro!

my current route has me going from Wynberg, along main road then on to Palmyra. All the way through to Rondebosch, then through Pinelands and Ndabeni, past Kehl's and then on to 5th Avenue to the train tracks, which I follow until Century City train station.

I occasionally commute and use Rosmead Ave as part of my route. From Ottery Rd to Imam Haron there are a number of tar shoulders and/or service roads, with a few "busy" bits in between. If you on an MTB you can ride on the gravel pavement the full length of Kenilworth Racecourse, southbound. While northbound you can use the service road for the section opposite the shopping centre.

I cut through the section of Wynburg between Rosmead and the railway line, then under the line at the subway at Witteboom.

I don't go north of Imam Haron, but Milner Rd between Imam Haron and Ave De Mist is not too busy, then Ave De Mist, Sandown and Campsground have cycle paths of sorts which might help getting onto Liesbeek Parkway.

Somewhat longer but maybe less stressful than Main Rd and Palmyra Rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Really need to pack the bugspray when cycling through these Bavarian forests. Had stop to fix a puncture yesterday afternoon.  But it is quite an effort to try and fix a puncture while horse flies and mozzies are fighting for space to nail you.  I looked like the late Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk while trying to fix the wheel.

Really need to pack the bugspray when cycling through these Bavarian forests. Had stop to fix a puncture yesterday afternoon.  But it is quite an effort to try and fix a puncture while horse flies and mozzies are fighting for space to nail you.  I looked like the late Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk while trying to fix the wheel.

I really hope when the puncture was sorted you did that famous "woo hoo" noise of his... ;)

Any tips?

What time do you get on the road? I am looking to commute from Plumstead through to Paarden Eiland. Perhaps we can ride a section together.

My solution for avoiding the BRT as it goes under the N1, using my mtb of course

post-5007-0-35730100-1501575573_thumb.jpg