Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

You put a few studs in your cycling gloves.  Next time leave a few scratch marks.  

The other day on my commute to work some idiot decided to park is car over a cycle lane at a intersection as I was approaching.  Before I got to him there were already people at the corner coffee shop screaming at him to move his vehicle off the cycle lane.

There is this one intersection on one of my routes that I often have cars who sneak into the cycle lane to pass other turning cars.  Normally I would just look at them and most would appologise but you do get the odd idiot who thinks it is his right.  However this is where it becomes fun here in Germany.  You can laugh at him and irritate him and should he show aggression you can actually report him to police.

That's my biggest worry - egging on the wrong guy (or girl) here and before I know it I've been flattened in a fit of road rage. As I mentioned yesterday, a cop almost took me out, so I'm not sure how they would deal with a complaint from a cyclist...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my biggest worry - egging on the wrong guy (or girl) here and before I know it I've been flattened in a fit of road rage. As I mentioned yesterday, a cop almost took me out, so I'm not sure how they would deal with a complaint from a cyclist...

From my experience in SA they won't deal with it.  And agree with you in SA I dealt with it differntly as you could actually get taken out very quickly (and have had close calls a few times).  

Here the cops take complaints from the public very serious.  If someone reports you for some issue you WILL get a visit from them.

What I've learned from commuting - it's a means to an end, not an adventure. Far more relaxing to treat it as the former

every ride is an adventure .... you just need to look at the "smaller" adventures and marvels along the way...some nice flowers popping up now, the sunrises are flipping awesome....you get the idea. :P

Do you guys commute in your full cycling hear and carry work clothes in a backpack and change at work? If you have shower facilities at work do you shower or just freshen up and then change again to cycle home?

Do you guys commute in your full cycling hear and carry work clothes in a backpack and change at work? If you have shower facilities at work do you shower or just freshen up and then change again to cycle home?

I carry work clothes and towel every day in a backpack, which also gives my lucky colleagues the added benefit of seeing me arrive and leave in lycra... :P

I am fortunate that we have a full gym in our building so have access to showers.

I have a store room upstairs where I keep a few pairs of shoes and jeans, jackets and my towel.

There is a gym across the road where I shower, so I just commute with shirt / t-shirt, underwear, etc. ... keeping the load light, pop in at the office to collect the shoes, towel and jeans, check some emails and go shower.

Kit ... baggies and moisture wicking t-shirts with jackets in winter.

Our commute is around 45km/day, so it is just like any "normal" ride.

Used to have to commute with the whole schebang in my back pack, and you get used to it, but I would still prefer not to have to ride with that load on a daily basis.

Ok right. Sounds like an odd question but what if there are no shower facilities? Is it just a matter of going to bathroom, wash face and freshen up a little bit?

Ok right. Sounds like an odd question but what if there are no shower facilities? Is it just a matter of going to bathroom, wash face and freshen up a little bit?

Where I work now, I do not have showers.  I found however that "washing/wiping" myself with this Baby wet wipes works well (not it is not the same as a shower but a good alternative).  Splash on some deo and underarm stick and you are good to go.  

To your previous question I commute in full cycle kit and pack work clothes in the bag.  Deo, cloths and spare belt etc I have in my drawer in the office.

Where I work now, I do not have showers. I found however that "washing/wiping" myself with this Baby wet wipes works well (not it is not the same as a shower but a good alternative). Splash on some deo and underarm stick and you are good to go.

To your previous question I commute in full cycle kit and pack work clothes in the bag. Deo, cloths and spare belt etc I have in my drawer in the office.

Ok cool. Have lots of wet wipes around due to having two young kids ????

Ok cool. Have lots of wet wipes around due to having two young kids

how far did you say your commute would be?

Don't think you should worry too much about sweating (on the bike commuting that is) in the next 6 months ;)

And in 6 months time, he'll be so used to it, he won't be sweating anyway... ;)

And in 6 months time, he'll be so used to it, he won't be sweating anyway... ;)

I would not put money on that.  Not sure about England but in Summer here gets bloody hot and humid.  Once did a short commute to the embassy during lunch time.  Only about 4 km away.  I looked like I went for a swim in my clothes.