Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

for some reason the things on my bike does not seem to last.

Did 800 km and need to replace the whole drive train now.

That's not normal. When you say you need to replace is that because it's skipping or jumping or something? What components is it?My bike is on its second drivetrain, all basic Shimano, which if I'm not mistaken has already outlasted original parts by a couple thou kms.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What time do you normally pass Woodbridge Island in the evenings, will join you for you commute home. I leave work at 4.50pm and am normally home at 5.05pm. So can hook up any time after that. I'm down Kei Rd.

Yo, we leave town 5:20pm .... Woodbridge ... I will check the time taken to get there this evening and let you know.

If I recall correctly it should be about 5:40/45 as we had to pick up the pace the otherday in order to make the BEER outlet in Sunset beach before 6pm :)

Yo, we leave town 5:20pm .... Woodbridge ... I will check the time taken to get there this evening and let you know.

If I recall correctly it should be about 5:40/45 as we had to pick up the pace the otherday in order to make the BEER outlet in Sunset beach before 6pm :)

Cool, we can hook up Monday evening then. Have a great weekend. Now do I ride the road or mountain bike? I'll go the Mountain bike so can keep up

There's quite a nice section on commuting in SA in this months Bicycling, a lot tips, stats etc as well as updates on the implementation of cycles lanes etc.

Note: I am not associated with Bicycling in anyway and I know lots of hubbers don't like the mag, just thought I'd share

That's not normal. When you say you need to replace is that because it's skipping or jumping or something? What components is it?My bike is on its second drivetrain, all basic Shimano, which if I'm not mistaken has already outlasted original parts by a couple thou kms.

Not 100% sure.

Almost took a dive in Cullinan this weekend. Gears skipped. Thought it was the indexing that was wrong, but when my brother checked the bike he spotted that the teeth are not what they should be.

Know it is a 9 speed and think it was XT stuff on the bike. But can be 100% wrong.

Build a SS , you can do a gizilion Km's on a drive train without any problems , and its cheaper to maintain

It is a plan in progress. But I am getting married soon, so I have no money for building my SS. I have a complete road bike ready to go SS, but the last few components are the draining things.

First commute on the ROAD SS this morning. I learned that I'm at least 10 minutes faster on the road bike than on the MTB. I learned how those NYC bike messengers feel, playing in the traffic.

:clap:

post-19617-0-53559600-1383028627_thumb.jpg

....well what time?

....well what time?

Sorry, never cycled home last night.

Expect 5:40pm onwards..... you could always leave 5:30pm and cycle towards p/island and then meet up with us so that you are not standing still doing nothing on the side of the lane ;)

Sorry, never cycled home last night.

Expect 5:40pm onwards..... you could always leave 5:30pm and cycle towards p/island and then meet up with us so that you are not standing still doing nothing on the side of the lane ;)

I will do, I will need too change over bikes though, don't want to be on the road bike while you're all on MTB's

I'll be on my black Giant hardtail with white shoes & black helmut. I'll be that cool looking dude hanging out looking suspicious.

Edited by Caerus

I will do, I will need too change over bikes though, don't want to be on the road bike while you're all on MTB's

Don't worry, we refrain from pointing and laughing at riders on road bikes or any s-works bikes ...I will PM you my contact details.

Don't worry, we refrain from pointing and laughing at riders on road bikes or any s-works bikes ...I will PM you my contact details.

No need to take politeness THAT far! ;)

Phew, lucky that won't apply to me :whistling:

That the winter in Cape Town is only over while the Southeaster blows. Man, did I get wet this morning!

Hey guys, I've been commuting to gym and back on my singlespeed. (This is only about 5km one way, depending on my route home it might even be 15 on some days and the shortest route possible is 950km on leg day).

But here's my question: How do you go through a double lane Traffic circle if you want to exit at the "2nd exit", so basically making a right turn? I sat waiting for the cars to give me a chance for a minute or so then just fell in behind a car and sprinted my A$$ off to not get run over by the rest.

I tried keeping to the road rules but clearly the cars didn't feel like giving me my piece of the road. So what is the correct way to hand this situation?

Cars don't care about you. You have to act as if you are invisible. Even traffic cops don't seem to notice us.

To answer your question: ride assertively and make and take gaps where you can. Watch Lucas Brunelle's movie called Line of sight. Ride like that.