Think Bike!

Peloton Piet

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as Tumblweeds post of a "private posting" has he created such an argument perhaps he should share how he came by this screen shot

Seeing as Tumblweeds post of a "private posting" has he created such an argument perhaps he should share how he came by this screen shot

Who really cares, at least now we know how they really feel about their fellow road users.

Who really cares, at least now we know how they really feel about their fellow road users.

Dangle why are you so intent on pushing this issue when Headmarshall has already apologized and the point has been made a few times that the post was to be seen as humorous. If you read the rest of the post it is obviously tongue in cheek.

If one is to take the moral high ground the question should be answered.

Edited by Woza

Dangle why are you so intent on pushing this issue when Headmarshall has already apologized and the point has been made a few times that the post was to be seen as humorous. If you read the rest of the post it is obviously tongue in cheek.

Firstly, there are a lot of new members who defend the stance, you being one of them.

Secondly, where is the rest of the topic (oh I forgot, it's secret, Freemason type stuff)

Apology accepted, but I think there is more to it using the "tongue in cheek" avenue as a scapegoat.

Fortunately I was born in to a family of bikers, some who are rather well connected, your friend who looked at my FB profile should be able to connect the dots.

I will get to the bottom of this myself, yes as you can see, I am rather pissed and will never trust someone on a motorbike again.

Well then would you mind posting the rest of his post? All we have to base our findings on is what was in the screen shot..... :blink:

I haven't defended anything here. I have simply asked a question.

Tiny K why do you think I have access to that, it is a private board.

Look guys, I'm a cyclist and yes I also ride a motorcycle. I'm a member of Cyclelab and see the guys out there every Saturday helping us on the bicycles be safe. I really don't see what benefit your aggression is going to gain.

Surely we should be judging these guys by their actions out on the road rather than by a screen shot obtained by questionable means.

Look guys, I'm a cyclist and yes I also ride a motorcycle. I'm a member of Cyclelab and see the guys out there every Saturday helping us on the bicycles be safe. I really don't see what benefit your aggression is going to gain.

Surely we should be judging these guys by their actions out on the road rather than by a screen shot obtained by questionable means.

I can assure you that I have no malicious intent, but what I read infuriates me and is enough for me to worry about, looking after cyclists on the weekend playing goodie two shoes and then losing your head when you have that engine between the legs somehow doesn't seem to go hand in hand, I know I am generalising but it's only a handful, and the screenshot posted that is enough reason for concern.

The mere fact that you joined the hub only to post on this thread gives me the idea that you are a member on the other forum....

I actually joined for another reason altogether, but thanks for noticing. You can find the actual reason for my joining in a post made earlier about advice needed on my mountain bike.

I am rather pissed and will never trust someone on a motorbike again.

I think you are being a tad harsh here... There are a number of us cyclists on thehub who just so happen to be bikers/motorcyclists too who do NOT share the attitudes as per the OP nor the views (joking or not) of the contentious screen shots. I also know numers biker/motorcyclist who feel the way I do even though they would not be caught dead on a bicycle.

I think you are being a tad harsh here... There are a number of us cyclists on thehub who just so happen to be bikers/motorcyclists too who do NOT share the attitudes as per the OP nor the views (joking or not) of the contentious screen shots. I also know numers biker/motorcyclist who feel the way I do even though they would not be caught dead on a bicycle.

Actually you are right, I can just see myself brushing past a motorcyclist whilst out on my road-bike causing him to run off the road, it all makes sense now.

Dangle, don't be too cocky... I know 2 guys who actually would. Neither marshal. It's a father and son. Son is ex-cyclist (bladdy good one, pity he quit) who WOULD run off the road for a cyclist. Until R4S this year I shared their view. Since I changed my opinion I've not ridden too much with them or their buddies (serious biker-don't-own-car types who don't agree that even cyclists ad pedestrians can be at fault)

End of the day the OP point is that there are idiot bikers/motorcyclists out there. No one is arguing that. There are also idiot cyclists, drivers and pedestrians too.

Maybe it's time to start a "Think, People" campaign

End of the day the OP point is that there are idiot bikers/motorcyclists out there. No one is arguing that. There are also idiot cyclists, drivers and pedestrians too.

Don't get me started, once I get cocky I don't stop.

I agree with what you are saying here, but a cyclist and pedestrian is hardly going to be a threat to a motorised vehicle if they stick to the rules of the road.

But a "tongue in cheek" fair game comment has a hidden message.

It's a stereotype problem, men in lycra are moffies, guys on bicycles are kids and can't afford cars and motorbikes, so as a result of that, we just make them the butt of all jokes.

I have been cycling my entire life, used to commute from Benoni to Wits everyday, people were middle class and only the odd rich dude had a fast car or bike.

Riding through Boksburg on a week morning to class (I couldn't afford a car and bought my first one in my 30's) a bunch of rich kids hung from a car and blasted me with paintball guns.

The following year I had darts thrown in my ass.

Those were the two worst crimes.

The new generation of windgatte are a little more dangerous, I have had a snot nose on his motorbike purposely push me off the road not so long ago, then there are those who make sure they get close enough and really rev it up just so they can get a kick out of how high I jump from fright.

I can go on quite a bit from the various scenarios (I am on my pedal bike very often)

So please forgive me when I get a little emotional when I hear that I am suddenly fair game.

And your patronising opening statement was way too cocky for my liking, get it ?

Edited by Dangle

Ok, some of you newbies here might not know me, but some of the older guys here will remember.

Up until a year and a half ago I was also a cyclist, but due to health reasons and family commitments my priorities changed.

When I changed jobs at the beginning of the year I bought a motorbike as I was not prepared to sit in the cage everyday while commuting between Pretoria North and Midrand.

Marshalling has always been something I wanted to do, so that I could give back to the sporting society what I always took for granted while participating in cycling events, and when I got my bike I thought it would be the ideal time to give back to cycling community and other sporting/charity events.

What really p!sses me off here, is the general attitude towards bikers. Just like in all walks of life, every community has their bad apples, and cyclists and bikers are no different. Just because I don't cycle anymore, doesn't mean that I drag the cycling communities name through the mud because I see one or two cyclists acting irresponsibly.

What some of you forget, is that there some of you here are also bikers. Do you see yourself in the same light as other bikers and see your own mistakes and irresponsible actions when out on you bike?...It's easy to call the kettle black.....

Unfortunately the screen shot from the Think Bike forum does not show the entire thread. The comment posted was a once off tongue in cheek comment, and no further jokes were made about it. We as marshals are here for YOU guys, to make sure that you are safe out on the roads while you enjoy your passion in life and are most of the time unaware of us out there and the time and effort we put in to ensure your safety. In my opinion ,the screenshot that was posted, was put there because some sh*t stirrer had nothing better to do with his/her idle hands, and with no other purpose but to give Think Bike a bad name. The whole reason we became marshals was because of people like you.

Just like you guys that are having a rough time out on the roads with cagers, so are we. Maybe the comment passed was not in good taste, but at least we can relate to each others situations. In no way are we against you or wish you any harm while out on the roads.

Unfortunately some peeps here have become a little hot under the collar and have made emotional posts based on only one comment.

The next time one of you are knocked off your bike and a Think Bike marshal stops to help secure the scene, organise EMS, police and help contact your family, that you will be a bit more appreciative of us.

When out next time on a race or a training ride, why don't you come over to the marshals and introduce yourselves. Then you will see that we are not such a bad bunch of people and hopefully change your opinions of us.

Safe riding

Speed Devil

Edited by Speed Devil