IMSA 2012

camerons

Seems everyone wants to cut seriously big chunks off their 2011 times.

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. Just remember every km/hr you go faster on the bike makes the run harder. So don't just say I can run a 1.30 21km therefore I should do a 3h15 after a 3.8 swim and 180km (in 5h15).

To go for those times you have to be prepared to blow up. I think it is possible to cut 10 minutes off a swim time, 10 minutes off a bike and 10 minutes off a run, from year to year, but taking more than that off each leg will cause you to blow up on the run.

I've started training with a group under a coach and her first words to me were "20 minutes / year" and based on the athletes she trains, this is 100% (A lot of them are going to Kona, etc). So hopefully in 2014 I'll be able to break 600 minutes.

It will be interesting to see who makes the biggest improvement in their times from 2011 to 2012 (bear in mind we had perfect weather in 2011).

See you in PE- 2012

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I'm right where you are :-) Did my first attempt as a "feeler" race, came in 12h30. A bit slower than expected but the run (an dby run I mean walk) was tough..

I'm aiming for ->

Swim time:1:05 (was 1h25 in 2011)

Bike time:5:15 (was 6h10 in 2011)

Run time:3:30 (was 4h40 in 2011)

T(ea) Time: +/- 8-10min combined

Running 3h30 off the bike is going to be tough. I'm also a 1h30 21k'er. I'm doing 1-2 solid brick runs every single week, I reckon that's going to help a LOT. I'll re-adapt my training after Challenge Cape Town.. not chasing a time in CT, more of a "fun" race. IMSA 2012 will be a sprint :-)

Before even thinking about IMSA 2012, there is 70.3 2012 - maybe a separate thread is required? I'm going to try crack 5h for that monster.. no small feat!

I have run a 68 min 21km and my best 42km,in the same year,was 3:10.To run 3:30 off the bike will take lots of hard training.You will already need to have a good solid base so that you can start doing some quality work.

Seems everyone wants to cut seriously big chunks off their 2011 times.

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. Just remember every km/hr you go faster on the bike makes the run harder. So don't just say I can run a 1.30 21km therefore I should do a 3h15 after a 3.8 swim and 180km (in 5h15).

To go for those times you have to be prepared to blow up. I think it is possible to cut 10 minutes off a swim time, 10 minutes off a bike and 10 minutes off a run, from year to year, but taking more than that off each leg will cause you to blow up on the run.

I agree with you if you are trying to go from good to very good, i.e. from Sub 11 to Sub 10. But for guys who just got round in their first go, knocking significant chunks of time off of their splits is certainly possible if they commit to the training second time round. Lots of guys will do their first one as a "feeler" and then have a proper go second time round. These are the guys I am talking about.

Anyway it looks like we've got lots of guys heading to the race and some good goals all round! Should be fun.

Valid point regarding the 20 mins rule. I think my 10hour goal is ambitious :) Aim high, shoot low..

I'm training pretty hard so expecting full well to be able to shave 1.5 hours off my time. Seeing as I did walk so much on the 42k this year, I think I can gain a lot of time on the run and perhaps 20-25mins on the swim.

As you rightly point out, if the wind blows the other way, all times go out the window (it did change direction at about 13:00-13:30 though, then it got tough..so if it blows that way the whole day, we're going to battle..)

I'd say the 20 minute rule definitely applies from year 20. I can see that to take 20 mins off whatever time I get in 2012 is going to be one heck of a challenge.

At this point, I'm still dreaming :-) Will re-asses after Challenge CT and after 70.3 in Jan. Going to go for somewhere between 5h and 5h20 for 70.3.. going to be tricky.

I have run a 68 min 21km and my best 42km,in the same year,was 3:10.To run 3:30 off the bike will take lots of hard training.You will already need to have a good solid base so that you can start doing some quality work.

Ei ei 68 minutes!! :clap:

Your in the wrong forum Gummi, try this one

http://www.eliterunnersworld.com/home

:P

That is blitzvinig!

There is a fun thing you can do if you have a garmin to get an understanding of how quick good runners are... set your virtual partner at 2:30 or 2:45 or whatever marathon pace and see how long you can keep up for. I once set mine at 2:03 which is marathon world record pace and was able to keep up for 200m. Just incredible what some people can do.

Yesterday was the Ironman Wisconsin, and I knew 15 people that took part in it. Ages ranging from 32 to 56, veteran triathletes as well as beginners. All but 1 finished and that was due to technical issues on the bike. Times ranged from 10:06:59 to 15:03:03

One of the athletes made his goal in qualifying for Kona, another athlete decided to attempt her first IM at age 55, and another having essentially coming off the couch a little more than a year ago to try his hand at an IM. And these are just a few of them. Each person had his/her own goal, and by training smart their goals came to fruition.

I just find it awesome that all these different people were able to do what they set out to do. And to see the old adage “you can do anything you want to do” in action, is truly inspiring.

So good luck with everyone’s training for IMSA 2012! This thread is a great place for some support from fellow athletes!

Will enter Decemberish...on more or less 9.5hrs, its early days... would like to get off the last page of the result book. Looking to finish IM number 5! :D

That was in 2003,i will be lucky to get 90 minute on a 15km now.

In 1990 i ran a 1,48 800 on track and a 30 minute 10km.

Thats awesome, LOL my best 21km time was 91 minutes at the Bliss 21K in Bedfordview +/- 91

Man I just hate envy blitz runners :blink:

Thats awesome, LOL my best 21km time was 91 minutes at the Bliss 21K in Bedfordview +/- 91

Man I just hate envy blitz runners :blink:

That 1,48 only got me a 4th place at EP champs that year.Leonardo de Villiers won it in 1,46.

My long(er) term goal is to qualify for Kona although I may need to travel somewhere to do that as there are not many slots in PE. My first IMSA was in 2010 where I did 12h35, then last year I did 11h35 (1h03 swim, 5h20 bike and 5h05 run so clearly there is a lot of room for improvement on the run). My current plan for 2012 is to race IM 70.3 in Jan then push through to the full race in April. I have been working on my run for a while now and will do my first standalone marathon in less than 2 weeks (Cape Town Marathon) so I should get a feel for how I have improved. My goal time for 2012 is 10h30 and then to continue improving to start to challenge for a slot in the coming years.

Can't wait for the light to improve so I can load on the hours - I love the training!

I need to stop visiting this thread or I may just spend my SARS rebate on an Ironman entry!

Also debating what to spend the rebate on. Not sure I'll enjoy IM as much as a park tool workshop stand. Stranger things have happened.