MTB Cleats on a Road bike??

LukeV-2

There are however benefits of using a proper road pedal, such as a larger pedal surface which will transform more power to the cranks.

Someone must please explain this to me, how does it work? How is power transfer a function of cleat size? I cannot figure it out and yet you always hear people going in about it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone must please explain this to me, how does it work? How is power transfer a function of cleat size? I cannot figure it out and yet you always hear people going in about it.

I'd also like to know.

Edited by cyfermaster

I'd also like to know.

Imho it is not about the amount of power transferred that increases, but the pressure on the point loads of the feet that decreases.

So, i just bought a road bike. Been an avid MTBer for quite some time. Do i really need to buy the road cleats or can i stick with my smaller cleats? Also easier to walk in and run into the transition area.

Any power/speed differences with the bigger cleat?

After many years I also evolved to using mtb pedals and shoes on my roadbike this year. All the reasons you mention are why its a good idea, I also have custom modified shoes so it makes sense to have only one pair.

Also...if you live in crime infested areas its much easier to run after / away / defend / fight wearing mtb shoes compared to road shoes.

Stuff knows why it took so long, i guess evolution is a slow process...

I suppose the extra weight might be an issue for some poeples

Used eggbeater MTB pedals on both my road and MTB. 1 x pair of shoes, feel totally confortable when changing from one bike to the other.

That's excellent news...I was just about to ask that question!

After many years I also evolved to using mtb pedals and shoes on my roadbike this year. All the reasons you mention are why its a good idea, I also have custom modified shoes so it makes sense to have only one pair.

Also...if you live in crime infested areas its much easier to run after / away / defend / fight wearing mtb shoes compared to road shoes.

Stuff knows why it took so long, i guess evolution is a slow process...

I suppose the extra weight might be an issue for some poeples

Just curious, in what way are they customised? I recently found out I have a 1cm difference in leg length and have had conflicting advice on whether I should have one cycling shoe built up in any way or not.... Does anyone know - or can advise who would do this? (apologies for the hijack...)

Just curious, in what way are they customised? I recently found out I have a 1cm difference in leg length and have had conflicting advice on whether I should have one cycling shoe built up in any way or not.... Does anyone know - or can advise who would do this? (apologies for the hijack...)

Nothing fancy, I elongated the cleat slots +/- 1.5 cm to allow me to move the cleats rearwards towards the mid foot position.

Regarding the leg length issue, you can buy cleat spacers that fit between the cleat and the sole of your shoe BUT caution and expert assesment is required.

Leg length issues require accurate measurement (MRI scan) and then correction only if you have a problem definetly related to LL issues.

Only if you wear a peak helmet as well!

And bonus points for long fingered gloves.

And a hydration pack...

Use my Mtb shoes and Spd's on my road bike as well and just to iritate my roadie friends I use my Camelback on long road rides.

Nothing fancy, I elongated the cleat slots +/- 1.5 cm to allow me to move the cleats rearwards towards the mid foot position.

Regarding the leg length issue, you can buy cleat spacers that fit between the cleat and the sole of your shoe BUT caution and expert assesment is required.

Leg length issues require accurate measurement (MRI scan) and then correction only if you have a problem definetly related to LL issues.

thanks for the info... Ja I have had leg xrays etc so definately a discrepancy and did cause some knee and foot issues - so i have orthotics to correct for running and other shoes, but seems to be so far no issue with cycling - so for now will not tamper.

Ok so I have road shoes on the road bike with MTB pedals and long finger gloves, where does that put me in the style man tjop rating ? :lol:

I've seen quite a few road bikes with MTB cleats, and they all seem to ride without any problems. It won't be fashionable, as others have already said, but it makes more sense than buying road cleats.

Besides, it's not the bike that counts, it's the rider on the bike.

Budgetwise my choice was 1x average road shoe + 1x average mtb shoe OR great MTB shoe and use for both.....chose latter and never looked back! Very good quality MTB shoe is good for both...stiff, comfortable and no hotspots like the more affordable alternative.