Lance Armstrong is back!

gadget

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/09/21/Lance-Armstrong-XTerra.ap/index.html#ixzz1YcfkxB2E

extract from this on the Caveman :thumbup:

Stoltz is tough as they get.

Consider the 2009 XTERRA in Richmond when he offered to move a stray buoy in the James River just three minutes before the race only to gash his foot on a rusty steel girder.

A first-aid crew quickly wrapped it in gauze and plastic and wanted to rush him to the hospital.

When a fellow pro yelled, "Race starts in 1 minute," Stoltz didn't think twice; he jumped back in the water.

A volunteer doctor changed the bandages and applied antiseptic after Stoltz finished the swim and transitioned to his bike. The doc jumped in again as Stoltz was first off the bike and headed to the run.

"It was like a pit stop at NASCAR where the cars come in, they change tires and fuel up ... and off he goes," Nicholas recalled.

Stoltz ended up winning, but needed seven stitches and later surgery when the gaping wound became infected. He spent three days in the hospital but raced three weeks later.

"He was `Caveman' before that, but that totally cinched it," Nicholas said.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“Everybody is buzzing about who’s going to do what, and everybody has an opinion … because of the Lance factor,” said Trey Garman, vice president of XTERRA, which promotes the races.

“Lance has got amazing credentials, but what he doesn’t have on his resume is a shorter race. This is a 2 1/2-hour, all-out sprint.”

Is this guy retarded? As a junior, Lance was in the top 10 worldwide (including seniors) at the sprint distance triathlon.

Is this guy retarded? As a junior, Lance was in the top 10 worldwide (including seniors) at the sprint distance triathlon.

Yes, and mystical and speculative as well as uninformed.

XTERRAoffroad XTERRA

Lance Armstrong in 4th at 1:41:28 with Josiah Middaugh following at 1:41:40

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

XTERRAoffroad XTERRA

Nico Lebrun of France has passed Armstrong for 3rd position at 1:41:20

3 minutes ago

XTERRAoffroad XTERRA

Second behind Hugo is fellow S. African Conrad Stoltz at 1:40:20

3 minutes ago

XTERRAoffroad XTERRA

One mile from T2 Dan Hugo of S. Africa has kept his lead turning in a time of 1:39:37

4 minutes ago

LiveTriCoverage LiveTriCoverage

Lance in 4th +3:20. Stoltz 3rd +1:51 twitpic.com/6pxutb

1 minute ago

LiveTriCoverage LiveTriCoverage

Nico has mad # up time and now in 2!! Moving hard!

1 minute ago

XTERRAoffroad XTERRA

Dan Hugo is 2 seconds behind at run mile marker 4. #xterra

8 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

XTERRAoffroad XTERRA

Nico Lebrun has taken over the overall lead at mile 4 on the run!