Show us your pets

tunariaan

Not a happy household at the moment, almost lost Juno.

Up to 19 tablets per day at his worst.. immune suppressants, cortisone, vitamins, antibiotics.. etc.

post-13110-0-50697100-1398793068_thumb.jpg

Because of his condition and the rate his blood was clotting, the vet gave him a 50/50 chance to survive that week.

Amazingly the meds helped but with the high doses and poor blood flow the negative side affects took hold in his feet.

post-13110-0-20285300-1398793121_thumb.jpg

His feet were so badly infected from tissue damage, his toes just fell off preceded by a distinct smell of gangrene. Back on meds he went..

For the last few weeks my days have basically been disinfecting, dressing and dosing.

post-13110-0-09439200-1398793184_thumb.jpg

I'm not even going to mention what this has cost, it's certainly a lot less than the value of what he means to us.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to 19 tablets per day at his worst.. immune suppressants, cortisone, vitamins, antibiotics.. etc.

Because of his condition and the rate his blood was clotting, the vet gave him a 50/50 chance to survive that week.

Amazingly the meds helped but with the high doses and poor blood flow the negative side affects took hold in his feet.

His feet were so badly infected from tissue damage, his toes just fell off preceded by a distinct smell of gangrene. Back on meds he went..

For the last few weeks my days have basically been disinfecting, dressing and dosing.

I'm not even going to mention what this has cost, it's certainly a lot less than the value of what he means to us.

Ah jeez thats rough.

Shame man that is rough, let's hope he continues to recover and is soon back to full health. Not sure if I missed a post but what was the original diagnosis?

I fully agree on what you said on cost, you simply cannot put a value on a pets life and it is something people need to consider before taking on any animal.

Good luck, give him a big hug from all of us.

Holy crap thats hectic bud. Sorry to hear poor poochie is going through this.

I can't even tell what the diagnosis is. The side affects of whatever it was that triggered it was a haemolytic anaemia and that's what the vet landed up treating. Trouble was, conventional treatment could not keep up with the production of white blood cells, so an immunosuppressant used in treating cancer was eventually added. The warning I got when the meds were handed over was startling. No woman was ever to touch the tablet.. You know when the doc looks you directly in the eye he means business. I could see this was no joke...

The red blood count was down to 12 when "normal" levels are around 35. When i phoned on Monday to say Juno was still around, the vet said, "He's made it!"

Guest EdEdEd

post-43150-1398833976,2619.jpg

My buksie is sending out the good vibes! All the beat to Juno!!! Heal up doggie!

My buksie is sending out the good vibes! All the beat to Juno!!! Heal up doggie!

As does Spencer…just got this pic from my mate, Wendy. Sorry to hear about the poor furry's ailments.

post-1604-0-10117200-1398834328_thumb.jpg

Out of interest why should no woman touch the meds?

Working in the pharmaceutical enviroment there are certain areas where woman can't work, especially hormone manufacturing facilities, as it can affect fertility, leda to deformaties in undetected pregnancies, etc.

It's precautionary but I would definately abide by it.

post-43150-1398833976,2619.jpg

You have no idea how fitting that pic is..!! Juno has spent half is life staring into a pool willing the ball or pinecone to come closer! :clap: The other half has been catching the ball or pinecone..

...and there I was worried about my one suddenly stopping to eat his pellets yesterday. But fine if we try something else.

Good luck Pain or Shine - Nugget and Kahlua sending several licks...

Cellphone snaps of Kahlua - one during a walk... one NOT walking!

Looks like the woof has had a go at the rattan chair! Hahahaha!