Good luck for you ...and the cat

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I cant wait till Saturday...

They are busy with the "cat test" now :w00t:

As you know huskies are notoriously bad with cats but I have successfully integrated our 3 with Cleo the cat so I am usually the one designated to perform the "Cat Scan" as we call it for Husky Rescue. It has to be done very carefully and controlled but so far no mishaps.

As you know huskies are notoriously bad with cats but I have successfully integrated our 3 with Cleo the cat so I am usually the one designated to perform the "Cat Scan" as we call it for Husky Rescue. It has to be done very carefully and controlled but so far no mishaps.

I saw one go wrong yesterday with a rescue labby - that was the actual reason I was at the SPCA yesterday. This boy is a bit of an Emily case - it took several people in the neighbourhood an entire day to catch him. Wouldn't let humans anywhere near him - open wounds on his ears & very very thin.

A lady agreed to look after him until a home was found, but then took him to the SPCA a week later. Everyone was devastated so we started a campaign to home him, but he is so traumatized that nobody came forward.

So i volunteered to take him - went to the SPCA & spent hours working with him just to get him out of the kennel & into the grass pen.

Filled in the forms & at the last minute they did a "cat scan" and sure enough...he went from cowering under a tree into FULL STALK mode in 2 seconds...the poor kitty bait was not happy at all.

Needless to say they wouldn't home him with me after that (I have cats), so we have had a stressful day trying to find a human to take him before he is pts.

Im happy to say that the most unlikely candidate came forward - a boy band lead singer, very well built, ink on his arms & a gangster cap - this poor dog is so scared of adult males he just shuts down & lies on the floor if one approaches him.

But the world is a funny place & would you believe this guy just clicked with the Lab - the labby wagged his tail for the first time ever today & let him carry him around, and not only that, but he actually walked on a lead with him! Yesterday he was jumping up in the air & flopping around on the ground like a fish when we had him on a leash...

My mind is blown & my heart is happy.

Below is him today vs two pics of how he was yesterday :thumbup:

post-46219-0-85352000-1424960276_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-17648200-1424960294_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-20982300-1424960383_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-86019500-1424960404_thumb.jpg

post-46219-0-01668200-1424960426_thumb.jpg

We have to take the rest of the gang through to meet her tomorrow.

YIKES!!! What have I done?! :eek:

You have done a fantastic dead.

There is a quote, by someone, something like this:

To rescue one dog won't change the world, but it does change the world for that dog.

Thats what you are going to do tomorrow.

I saw one go wrong yesterday with a rescue labby - that was the actual reason I was at the SPCA yesterday. This boy is a bit of an Emily case - it took several people in the neighbourhood an entire day to catch him. Wouldn't let humans anywhere near him - open wounds on his ears & very very thin.

A lady agreed to look after him until a home was found, but then took him to the SPCA a week later. Everyone was devastated so we started a campaign to home him, but he is so traumatized that nobody came forward.

So i volunteered to take him - went to the SPCA & spent hours working with him just to get him out of the kennel & into the grass pen.

Filled in the forms & at the last minute they did a "cat scan" and sure enough...he went from cowering under a tree into FULL STALK mode in 2 seconds...the poor kitty bait was not happy at all.

Needless to say they wouldn't home him with me after that (I have cats), so we have had a stressful day trying to find a human to take him before he is pts.

Im happy to say that the most unlikely candidate came forward - a boy band lead singer, very well built, ink on his arms & a gangster cap - this poor dog is so scared of adult males he just shuts down & lies on the floor if one approaches him.

But the world is a funny place & would you believe this guy just clicked with the Lab - the labby wagged his tail for the first time ever today & let him carry him around, and not only that, but he actually walked on a lead with him! Yesterday he was jumping up in the air & flopping around on the ground like a fish when we had him on a leash...

Fantastic, as you know I am heavily involved with Husky Rescue so come across these kind of cases all the time. I am a firm believer that certain dogs and humans are destined to meet, he was just waiting for the one he trusted to come along.

I recently rescued a dog from Heidelberg that had been abandoned when his owner moved out. It took me two hours just to catch him he was so mistrusting, I even had to get the help of the SPCA to corner him. Once I had him though, it only took 5 minutes of bonding to convince him I was there to help and he let me pick him up and put him in the car. He is now living in the most fantastic home in Edenvale with a Lab playmate and living a life of real luxury.

Well done!!! What a way to start my Friday. :clap:

On a similar note to what I said above, we had the most amazing experience at the Rand Show last year. Emily was there at the Husky Rescue stand and all of a sudden started pulling to get to this one guy who was approaching the stand. It was almost as if she knew him or felt some kind of link. The immediate bond was so powerful and emotional that it took all of us by surprise, Emily just wanted to hug this guy and he was eventually in tears with the emotion. Unfortunately he left before I could get any details, so I don't know if there could have been some link to her past life.

Here are some pics.

post-268-0-77199500-1425017131_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-31332100-1425017131_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-77148400-1425017130_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-23445800-1425017130_thumb.jpg