Show us your pets

tunariaan

My parent's two dogs, the little one is 9 months old and the older one I think 9 years.

I went up to the Freestate Sunday evening to go and say good bye to my dad "stepdad" as he went to hospital 6 weeks ago for an obstruction in his stomach and then his heart stopped (heart failure, kidneys failed and lungs stopped working properly) after 2 weeks and he's been in a coma with life support ever since.

Now it's only time and we/drs doesn't think he is going to make it.c745f6630d7724a8c95c287d02ce4aca.jpg74d1c2b068f0d00ca2bb7af0c7905d15.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have advice on large-breed puppy feeding, from 5-6 months onwards? What are your monsters chomping? Our chomper is FINALLY catching up and growing like a bomb.

M'lord's Royal Canin Junior obviously suits him, but I'm wondering what experience/advice people have?

Had large breed dogs most of my life. When I see cheap meat cuts on a special then I normally get that and boil it up, cut off the meat and feed that mixed with their pellets and use the water that was used for cooking to pour over as well. Occasionally add a splash of oil too but literally a splash.

My parent's two dogs, the little one is 9 months old and the older one I think 9 years.

I went up to the Freestate Sunday evening to go and say good bye to my dad "stepdad" as he went to hospital 6 weeks ago for an obstruction in his stomach and then his heart stopped (heart failure, kidneys failed and lungs stopped working properly) after 2 weeks and he's been in a coma with life support ever since.

Now it's only time and we/drs doesn't think he is going to make it.c745f6630d7724a8c95c287d02ce4aca.jpg74d1c2b068f0d00ca2bb7af0c7905d15.jpg

Beautiful dogs.

So sorry for the sad situation that you and your family are faced with.

Sorry to hear about the difficult times

Anybody have advice on large-breed puppy feeding, from 5-6 months onwards? What are your monsters chomping? Our chomper is FINALLY catching up and growing like a bomb.

M'lord's Royal Canin Junior obviously suits him, but I'm wondering what experience/advice people have?

We've tried Montego Karoo Large Breed puppy, but now we are on Vet's Choice large breed puppy.

The vets choice has smaller portions, his coat is better and his bombs are smaller and less. So my assumption is that less crap/filler is pit into Vet's Choice than the Montego. Me and Baloo are happy as Larry with the situation.

Ping Slowbee if you need advice. He knows a thing or two about pet food.

Sorry to hear about the difficult times

My dad passed away early this morning.

Beautiful dogs.

So sorry for the sad situation that you and your family are faced with.

Thanks, my dad passed away early this morning.

Thanks, my dad passed away early this morning.

Terribly sorry for your loss will keep you and your loved ones in my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We've tried Montego Karoo Large Breed puppy, but now we are on Vet's Choice large breed puppy.

The vets choice has smaller portions, his coat is better and his bombs are smaller and less. So my assumption is that less crap/filler is pit into Vet's Choice than the Montego. Me and Baloo are happy as Larry with the situation.

Have used vets choice for many years, not huge dogs but labs and Doberman and it has always been great for them and awesome coats. Not the cheapest but also far from the most expensive out there.

My dogs (boxer and lab) are both on Royal Canin. The boxer used to be on Montego but shed alot when he was - switched to Royal and his coat got shiny and he eats the stuff like a fat kid eats donuts - nice and big and muscular as well - around 37kg (big for a boxer). The lab has been on Royal since we've had her, also has a healthy coat and sheds minimal amounts, growing nicely.

To be honest I think most of the higher end, non grocery store brands are good. I don't think you need to spend top dollar for good food, just don't buy the cheap stuff. How I ended up on Royal Canin - I was at the pet shop looking for a food bin - Royal Canin was running a promotion with a free bin with every bag of food - bought a bag for the bin and been with them ever since.

+1 for Slowbee and All Paws online if you live in Somerset West/Helderberg areas. Delivery makes it super convenient.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Try Acana, or if you can afford it, Orijen. Has a higher protein content and not padded with carbs.

I have mine on Orijen.

Try Acana, or if you can afford it, Orijen. Has a higher protein content and not padded with carbs.

I have mine on Orijen.

I worked out the cost per day of both those brands, and then decided to stick with Vet's Choice.

I don't doubt that they are good, I am just not willing to pay that.

I had my twelve year old GSD on Vet's choice senior and he was slowing down dramatically. Changed to Orijen Senior and he became a different dog. Fletcher eventually passed away 2.5 years later.

Yes the food is expensive, and I have to sacrifice bike upgrades, but it works.