Show us your pets

tunariaan

We also tried every kind of thing you could think of, raw meat diet, different immune boosters, shifted them from one part of the yard to another. Eliminated all the plants that can maybe have caused the seizures. Wish I had more money to have send him to Onderstepoort in Pretoria to see if they can maybe help him and finding out what caused all this or was it just in his genes.

Sorry, I missed this post when I replied - but they key seems to be the high fat part and I am really going to try and do as much research as I can around this. The problem with modern dog food of course is that its almost all carbs and protein with very low fat, as fat is supposed to be bad (but that's why we have the LCHF forum on here ;) ) - the trick would be to bring that carb content right down whilst upping the fat for energy. But as you rightly say, it could be a genetic defect in which case this is a moot point, however judging from the condition that Max was in when we got him I'd say that he suffered a fair amount of abuse as a pup or young dog and I think that is where this comes from - i.e. nerve damage rather than genes. But I am speculating...

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But after that the seizures just started getting more frequent and out of control that he's quality of life was deteriorating. Made the most difficult decision in my life two days ago and still question myself if I did the right thing.

I know this is easy for someone else to say, but I feel that I am somewhat qualified as I went through the same thing in May: Don't question your decision, rather look at what the quality of life of your best friend would have devolved to, had you not made that decision. My dog Zoe deteriorated in front of my eyes as she had a spinal condition that eventually left her with almost paralyzed rear legs. I battled for a long time with the thought of knowing that the day would arrive when I would have to make that call. Before Zoe I have had to put five other of my best friends to sleep over the years, yet I always chose not to be present when they did that, and somehow I never got closure. With Zoe I decided to be there and I had my hands on her until her last breath. Much as I am sobbing about this right now, I know that I did the right thing by her and that she is in a better place now. Seeing her at peace and no longer in pain was what I needed to see to give me closure. Sure, I will always be sad in a way when I think about her and my other dogs, but if you spend so many years with them by your side, how can you not be ? Grieving is part of the process, but make peace with the fact that you did the only thing you could still do for Titan so that his dignity was still in tact. These are my thoughts on the subject and perhaps saying this is part of the healing process.

Thanks for sharing this Wil6, I am holding on to the fact that the seizure was very short in duration and that there were no other symptoms of cluster seizures, but I am not letting the little guy out of my sight and he has literally been at my feet the entire day (a slow and steady supply of biltong treats may have something to with that). The Vet also seemed really pleased with his bloodwork and there were literally no markers outside of the norm.

I am also looking into dietary treatments for epilepsy now, as I am a Low Carb High Fat diet proponent and I have seen the huge difference that this diet has made to the frequency of seizures in my father-in-law, who was at his wits end due to meds not really helping. Cursory reading on this seems to indicate a high success rate with raw, high fat diets for epilepsy in dogs. Interestingly enough the Vet shared with us that the most common cases of epilepsy occur in Huskies, Labradors and BC's - in her experience.

Must say the raw diet did make a difference but food was not part of the main problem. Titans case was also very different to yours.

The vet said that he was one of the worst he had to deal with in a long time. The problem was not the seizures, it was how he acted after that. Sometimes he had it so bad that he just laid their paralyzed not being able to see or move and constantly crying for help.

It all depended on how quickly I could get him out of his seizures. A wet towel rubbed over his head seem to do the job for me, but the problem was the days that I was not their and the seizure went on for who knows how long. That days was terrible and I could immediately see if he had a seizure cause he's tongue will almost be on the ground and he would show no emotion at all and the endless pacing was the signs. To seizures coming after such an episode landed him up in the hospital every time.

Pray for you that it was a once of thing and that you and your dog will never experience it again.

Thanks Scale. Looking at your profile pic, they sure are beautiful and loyal animals if you know how their habits work and that they only want to run 24/7 ! My next boy names going to be Forrest!

The best part is, you gave him the chance to run like he was born to do! Always keep that in mind. That pic on the beach, Titan's face, says it all!

Sorry, I missed this post when I replied - but they key seems to be the high fat part and I am really going to try and do as much research as I can around this. The problem with modern dog food of course is that its almost all carbs and protein with very low fat, as fat is supposed to be bad (but that's why we have the LCHF forum on here ;) ) - the trick would be to bring that carb content right down whilst upping the fat for energy. But as you rightly say, it could be a genetic defect in which case this is a moot point, however judging from the condition that Max was in when we got him I'd say that he suffered a fair amount of abuse as a pup or young dog and I think that is where this comes from - i.e. nerve damage rather than genes. But I am speculating...

htone, Max is BEAUTIFUL - as was Titan - jeepers, its been a heart breaking couple of days on this thread.

Lets hope Max will be fine with some medication. I lived in a house for a while where one of the dogs had epilepsy & he was on epilepsy medication, but I dont know what it was, sorry.

Just as a strange question, did your vet test him for diabetes by any chance?

I know you said all the bloods were clean, but I just thought I would mention it. A friend of mine has a dog that started having seizures - they treated it for epilepsy, they got progressively worse, and for some reason did the diabetes tests & thats what it was - they started treatment for that & the dog was fine last I heard.

htone, Max is BEAUTIFUL - as was Titan - jeepers, its been a heart breaking couple of days on this thread.

Lets hope Max will be fine with some medication. I lived in a house for a while where one of the dogs had epilepsy & he was on epilepsy medication, but I dont know what it was, sorry.

Just as a strange question, did your vet test him for diabetes by any chance?

I know you said all the bloods were clean, but I just thought I would mention it. A friend of mine has a dog that started having seizures - they treated it for epilepsy, they got progressively worse, and for some reason did the diabetes tests & thats what it was - they started treatment for that & the dog was fine last I heard.

Hey LF, yes the bloodwork included a diabetes test but that was fine. He is really doing well at the moment and in spite of some high-energy moments in the pack he has remained calm, which is a great sign. He is alert, perky and full of energy still so its not like the meds has made him drowsy or anything.

He will be OK, he is in the best possible house to ensure that happens ;)

Hahahahahahaha! It's quite applicable to this thread! The healing was coming along quite nicely until Friday night. When I got home, the hounds ganged up on me and knocked me over, and I landed on the injured elbow. Had to wear the sling again for most of the weekend, but it seems to be okay now, although I haven't got the full use of my left arm and fingers back yet. :cursing:

Tumbles....I have no words, honestly :eek:

Im thinking of reporting this to the SPCA - its dog abuse, just the dogs are doing the abusing! We may need to take them away from you... :ph34r: (dibs on Tumbles)

Fuzzy pic from an early-morning scratch to confound the pet thread sleuths…

post-1604-0-45367400-1376540283_thumb.jpg

I give up - your house actually makes me dizzy :rolleyes:

PS> I do like the term "sleuth" though, thanks for that! :clap: :ph34r:

Tumbles....I have no words, honestly :eek:

Im thinking of reporting this to the SPCA - its dog abuse, just the dogs are doing the abusing! We may need to take them away from you... :ph34r: (dibs on Tumbles)

My local SPCA owes me a favour or two after The Lettuce Club donated a whole bunch of dog food to them a coupla weeks.

So I stay away for a day yesterday and come back again to catch up and you guys have me in tears again.

Wil6 I agree with the others that you made the right call. His quality of life was not at a level that he would have been enjoying it and it must have been an incredibly scary experience for him when he had the fits.

At least you can look back on the times that you were able to spend with him and the joy he experienced during those times.

I actually feel like going home and giving my boy a big hug right now.

All the best and when the time is right and although you can never replace Titan there are lots of wonderful huskies looking for homes that also deserve another chance.

On the subject of diet, like htone I am also a huge fan of the LCHF way of life and I have been feeding our dogs more and more meat which I cook with some coconut oil. I buy a frozen food from a local butchery which is pure minced chicken, livers and kidneys, they also get regular good quality bones.

They have been picking out the meat and leaving the dog food chunks behind so I am feeding them less and less of the chunks.

Seems to be working and they are healthy and happy.