Top end disc brakes - what to buy?

Caltrigger

if it's any consolation for the avid haters (hahahha ), then the 2012 avid elixirs are a nod in the direction of those that complain about bleeding avids, even elixirs. Prior to 2012 stuff, the design did unfortunately hold air traps, but the solution is and always was PROPER bleeding.

The 2012 designs have a new bleed port and redesigned internals to eliminate problems with the old designs.

that said, there is ZERO wrong with Avid stuff. I've had J5s, Elixir CRs and now 2011 Codes.

I'm sorry, but if u think CRs dont have enough stopping power, or they dont modulate, there's something wrong with you. I've used CRs on my DH sled and they stop alright. holycow do they stop.

I've gotta agree on the modulation and the stopping power of Elixir CRs - both are very good. I weigh north of 90kg and never used a bigger rotor than 160mm. That said the pre-2012 Exilirs are just kuk! I can't comment on the new ones, but as Capricorn says, they look the have eliminated the problems of the older models - I hope. They're kuk because when they work they are awesome, but that is generally not for very long before they go pap and the lever starts hitting your fingers, so one-finger braking goes out the window!

I find the bleeding process to be pretty easy, but then I've done it so many times I'm pretty proficient at it. Actually ensuring they are properly bled is another matter entirely. The number of times I have pulled back that syringe plunger for say the 20th time to suck out that last little air bubble, only to see the little f***er show itself in the tube bend, but I just can't get it into the syringe without risking pulling the plunger out the top. So I tap a bit more, but no luck and as soon as I release the plunger that bubble's gone back into the system and I just know the little bastard is going to cause my lever to go pap in the next few days or weeks, generally on a nice steep, rocky and exciting descent. Which suddenly becomes a lot more exciting when the lever hits the grip en fo**ol gebeur!!

Man I do hope the 2012 ones have that "bubble trapping trait" resolved, I really don't want to change brands - I love that Matchmaker uncluttered handlebar feature too much. But... if they don't improve, then I think the 2012 XTs will be my next choice.

Juicys never had/have this problem and this is likely because the design is totally different.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good mate of mine is riding a set of Elixir CR Mag's on his Specialized, I used them for a while and when built on to his bike we also needed to change the hoses as they needed to be longer, not a days bit of trouble.

A very good mate of mine is riding a set of Elixir CR Mag's on his Specialized, I used them for a while and when built on to his bike we also needed to change the hoses as they needed to be longer, not a days bit of trouble.

Maybe I got a Friday set... :thumbdown:

No Muppets - Formula also works with the Matchmaker system :)

Thanks, that's pretty good to know, heard good things about Formula

Guest Omega Man

No Muppets - Formula also works with the Matchmaker system :)

Formula The Ones do NOT work with matchmakers. I'd make 100% sure the others do before buying matchmakers.

Sorry. Correction. They seem to have their own system called Mix Master. And in true Formula style they look sexy as hell.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-formula-r1-mix-master-5952.20.1.html

Edited by Omega Man

I said they they modulate like a cheaper set...ie they don't :blink: I had a set and it's a on or off feeling on the brakes

Talk to me again in while...its not if those o-rings go...its when, Dot5 eats rubber Fact, oh when they do go, try and get those parts.

As for the bleeding, shimano is piece pie, my elixir cr's a nightmare(but maybe its just me). The problem I have after bleeding them is that they feel fine but let the bike stand for 24 hours and they are pap(happened to me more than once, well done if you are getting it right)

My bad, I misread what you said there re: modulation. Correct they don't modulate well at all.

I must be lucky with the DOT5 story as I've got a set on a bike that's not been bled or changed in about 4 years. I'll be checking them though after this news. Thanks for the heads up there. Silly of them to use a fluid that would do this, but then I suppose it sell them seals and there must be some heat/pressure benefit from using DOT5?

got my scalpel ultimate for 2 weeks now.

it came out with xx ,i must say so far they are great.i got R1's on my other bike ,they are better but not much.

Edited by zork

Oh for goodness sake. Stop phaffing around with scales and reviews. Buy on looks and emotion.

post-1761-0-78015200-1317147861.jpg

I have ridden the Hope Tech X2 for the past 2 years and never had to bleed them. Great stopping power and super cool brakes.

My bad, I misread what you said there re: modulation. Correct they don't modulate well at all.

I must be lucky with the DOT5 story as I've got a set on a bike that's not been bled or changed in about 4 years. I'll be checking them though after this news. Thanks for the heads up there. Silly of them to use a fluid that would do this, but then I suppose it sell them seals and there must be some heat/pressure benefit from using DOT5?

Yea I think Dot5.1 boils 20deg higher than the shimano mineral equivalent but it doesnt boil any quicker as I understand. With regards to the bleeding, a sign that the o-rings are going is the colour of the brake fluid you are taking out. If its starts to discolour badly to black you probably need to start ordering a re-build kit because your o-rings are being eaten away

Guest Omega Man

If you are getting Avid brakes spend a little bit more and upgrade to Straitline levers.

Mine

post-18968-0-51941400-1317281953.jpg

Well looking at the replies and the pricing online...my choices are:

1st choice - Hope X2 (Good price and Cool green to match the Sculptimate)

2nd choice - Shim XTR

3rd choice - R1

4th choice - Mag M8's (pricey!!!)

Now I need to decide on groupsets!!!

I have the Mono-Mini's on my Lefty Scandal with a 180 upfront and a 160 at the rear. Love 'em! Far better than my old Juicy Carbons and my Elixirs on my singlespeeed

Saw a couple of pairs of Race X2's this weekend, sure look the biz especially matched up to the 3 bolt Hope rotor and Pro 3 hub.