Giro d'Italia 2012

Tankman

Watch Rai, channel 430 tonight at 6-8pm for today's stage, tomorrow 4-6pm for stage 3.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stage 1 just started on RAI...

FInal 90 minutes.

Yeah, good footage tonight. Astana were really looking dominating in the gruppo, I think Kreuziger has a strong team there.

Cavendish had to go from a long way out, but he was pretty convincing, I think he will be hard to beat in the sprint stages.

I love it. Teta la corsa!!!

Yeah, me too, "Spectacular, Spectacular" .........gotta love the Italians.!

Don't know if this quote was posted already, but I thought it was a good one from Phinney:

"So I'm happy and proud to be part of this new crop of riders. I'm not going to say I'm the next Lance Armstrong, I'm the first Taylor Phinney and we'll see where that takes me."

Don't know if this quote was posted already, but I thought it was a good one from Phinney:

"So I'm happy and proud to be part of this new crop of riders. I'm not going to say I'm the next Lance Armstrong, I'm the first Taylor Phinney and we'll see where that takes me."

Yeah look he was very composed when he lost his chain, what 6 or so Kms out from the finish, it seems the race directors didnt look too hard either as the mechanic didnt even pretend as if he was working on the bike, they just grabbed his saddle and the car accelerated to make up some of the 30 odd secs he lost, otherwise I am not sure he would have gotton back, the peleton wasn't hanging around then either.

Robbie great leadout for Farrar. May he be the best leadout man? Will he get scooped by another team with a greater sprinter? Cav is class. Goss surely has the talent to b equal. Let's see what unfolds on the stages to come. Reinardt winning 2day, another fav for the future. I better keep my eyes on the road. Cheers hubbers.

I watched some highlights yesterday after the stage - it was great to see Robbie rocking that SA champs jersey and helmet. Great aerial shots, but the best was from the front when he had his head down and you can see the colours on the helmet. Awesome! :thumbup:

Robbie great leadout for Farrar. May he be the best leadout man? Will he get scooped by another team with a greater sprinter? Cav is class. Goss surely has the talent to b equal. Let's see what unfolds on the stages to come. Reinardt winning 2day, another fav for the future. I better keep my eyes on the road. Cheers hubbers.

Yes brilliant!!Hunter started the kick before Thomas and when Thomas pulled in next to him he did not give a inch and was still kicking after Thomas gave up.Cav had to go left around Hunter...best leadout i have seen Hunter give!

Great ride again by Hunter!!He loves these short TT's...and he keeps on showing us how strong he really is!!

From the GC guys it is Kreusiger and Basso that did the best by far with Rodriguez not far behind.

Not that a short TT like that means anything but Basso did better than expected!

Maybe he will be ready to race by week 3.

Hmm, difficult to say so soon I guess, but I did notice he was riding pretty much back in the bunch yesterday with not too many Liquigas mates around him. By comparison Kreuziger was comfortable right at the front and Astana was really dominant, keeping him in a good position quite easily. Actually Lampre looked a little mixed up as well, maybe they weren't too concerned about the stage, but from one day on the road I thought Astana looked very comfortable and very competent.

Yeah, good footage tonight. Astana were really looking dominating in the gruppo, I think Kreuziger has a strong team there.

Cavendish had to go from a long way out, but he was pretty convincing, I think he will be hard to beat in the sprint stages.

Jis, that Cav laaitie can sprint.

Many said that he is not much without the HTC HighRoad train. But, this confirms his talent.

Hmm, difficult to say so soon I guess, but I did notice he was riding pretty much back in the bunch yesterday with not too many Liquigas mates around him. By comparison Kreuziger was comfortable right at the front and Astana was really dominant, keeping him in a good position quite easily. Actually Lampre looked a little mixed up as well, maybe they weren't too concerned about the stage, but from one day on the road I thought Astana looked very comfortable and very competent.

Astana had some good results in the Ardennes Classics.

Remember those result when Nibs got overtaken in the final km and where Sagan, I think in Fleche Wallone, came 3rd.

With Kreuziger also looking good, I think they will should hit the podium here.

Then again, 3 weeks is a long time in cycling.

Nice pic of Impey with Phinney during Stage 2...

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2012/05/phinney-Impey1-632x421.jpg

Cavendish is walking across the finish line with a torn jersey and his bike slung over his shoulder, but of more concern is Taylor Phinney's condition. The American has yet to get up and cross the line, and he seems to have an ankle injury.

16:05:16 CEST

There was a big crash in the finishing straight behind, however, with Mark Cavendish and Taylor Phinney among the riders who hit the deck.

Cavendish had launched his sprint when Roberto Ferrari (Androni-Venezuela) veered dramatically to his right and swept the Manxman's front wheel. That was wreckless from the Italian, and Cavendish couldn't avoid falling. A number of riders ploughed into the back of him, including Phinney, who is still down.

Early start and finish today. Caught me off guard!

Edit: Big transfer from Denmark to Verona (1600km)

From cyclingnews.com

Edited by splat

That was a fine win from Matt Goss, but it is set to be overshadowed by the mass pile-up behind, even if it's doubtful that anyone could have stopped the Australian today. Cavendish was a long way back and had a lot of ground to make up when he fell.