Giro d'Italia 2012

Tankman

I didn't watch much, but I am feeling for 'Purito' for missing out on pink by 16 secs.

He earned red. Good on him.

Basso and team had some clear defensive strategies and he admits that he was beaten by those better than him.

After a hectic build-up, I am very impressed with his form.

And de Gendt? What a lighting bolt out of nowhere!

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2012/05/NIK1670-633x421.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“They say what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger, but I think this Giro has pretty much killed me. I am dead. I am on my hands and knees,” Cavendish said. “The Giro is the hardest grand tour in the world. The Tour is different; it’s the racing that makes it hard. Here the mountains are diabolical. It kills you.”

TDF has a lot to live up to after the Giro. Going into the final stage TT and nothing was cast in stone. Sure beats that silly procession into Paris.

Two grand tours in two years won on the final ITT. The real climbers are going to have to change tactics to beat the allrounders. Looking forward to TDF.....

Yeah, Maybe, I dont know, I am just peeved off. I agree on the ego issue, but I actually thought Cunego would be bigger than that, and I am disappointed its not so.! I didnt watch the TT, but I see Hesjedal won, in a way I am happy for Garmin, they had a good plan to keep Hesjedal in the hunt and everyone played their part. The plan with Vandervelde who protected Hesjedal for 3/4's of the way up the Stelvio was excellent, because it was obvious the big names were not going to let him off the front, so Garmin figured it out, planned and played it to perfection. Good thing they dont have Cunego on their team.!

Yes no ego's there...Vandervelde is a big name himself but had no problem working for the man in form.

In the end I am happy with how it turned out; the only problem for me is I think Scarponi was way better than 4th.Think it should have come down to between him and Hesjedal.

Hesjedal and he’s team took on the queen stage and showed they wanted the win.

I was very irritated with the way the other GC guys decided to just sit there and let Thomas gain time while they know he is a good TT rider. They wanted to just sit there and hope Hesjedal and he’s team does enough to keep them on the podium. They probably also banked on the fact that Hesjedal did all the work on the last climb and that he might crack.

I am just sorry Rodriguez did not end up losing second to Thomas as well. Maybe next time they will think about this let’s wait and see or hope it turns out ok tactics.

Also found Rodrigeuz commend about why he did not attack earlier on the stelvio very funny,”he wanted to go away with Basso and Scarponi”??? Scarponi was already up the road and Basso was off the back….did he loose some brain cells on that climb?

Loved this race!!So many different stages , and to finish with just 16 seconds in it at the end is perfect!

Well done to Thomas de Gendt for gaining 5 minutes on the Stelvio and then ranking so high in the TT

Yes no ego's there...Vandervelde is a big name himself but had no problem working for the man in form.

In the end I am happy with how it turned out; the only problem for me is I think Scarponi was way better than 4th.Think it should have come down to between him and Hesjedal.

Hesjedal and he’s team took on the queen stage and showed they wanted the win.

I was very irritated with the way the other GC guys decided to just sit there and let Thomas gain time while they know he is a good TT rider. They wanted to just sit there and hope Hesjedal and he’s team does enough to keep them on the podium. They probably also banked on the fact that Hesjedal did all the work on the last climb and that he might crack.

I am just sorry Rodriguez did not end up losing second to Thomas as well. Maybe next time they will think about this let’s wait and see or hope it turns out ok tactics.

Also found Rodrigeuz commend about why he did not attack earlier on the stelvio very funny,”he wanted to go away with Basso and Scarponi”??? Scarponi was already up the road and Basso was off the back….did he loose some brain cells on that climb?

Loved this race!!So many different stages , and to finish with just 16 seconds in it at the end is perfect!

Indeed No Chain, you make excellent points.

Scarponi was much better than 4th, he just lacked any help, basically he rode the race man alone, I dont ever recall him having someone to help him, he basically had to respond to everything himself and over three weeks thats very hard........I'll say it again because I am just SO disappointed in Lampre and Cunego in particular "their tactics sucked"!

All in all it was still a great spectacle, the course was designed to be hard and it was, the racing was magnificent, the scenary was awesome and I thought the podium girls were just gorgeous :blush: - what more could one ask for.!

In conclusion I really, really feel for Scarpo, he hasn't said much but he must be gutted, he put in so much effort only to be left to dry in the sun by his team, its just disgraceful.!

I am impressed with the form of the Dutch and Belgium riders going into the TDF. If I was a betting man I would say at least one of these riders on the podium in France. And their TT skills are usually good.

Nice to see another mountain biker stepping up to the big time - well done Ryder Hesjedal

Ryder: Oh yeah. Mountain biking was my first real sport. I’ll never forget mountain biking. It is unfortunate that the sport hasn’t grown to support the professional racer. I know a lot of professional racers who would still like to be racing mountain bikes, but they have to race the road because it pays so much better.

Oh yeah, 30 days out from one of the greatest sporting spectacles.

Evans needs a good run.

Baby Schleckie is certainly feeling the heat. Maybe the maillot jaune he earned after 'Berto's DQ will fire him up.

Nibali, also at the Dauphine, is keen to restore some pride after a 32nd, I think, GC spot in California.