Carbon vs Alu bars

Zula

:offtopic: The OP is refering to comfort not cost.

And I was not refering to him, but to others who remarked on the cost of carbon.....now go stick that banner on a pole up your a...!

And I was not refering to him, but to others who remarked on the cost of carbon.....now go stick that banner on a pole up your a...!

Zula, my advice to you...buy what you can afford, cause the terms affordable, cheap, expensive, waste of money, etc are only words and have diffrent meanings to the different walks of life. A R3k handle bar might sound ludacrous to some people, but for others it is an necessity to complete his awesome ride. What ever makes you and your wallet happy!

My appologies, for a moment i thought you were refering to Zulu.

Oi! That was my line from this morning - only the correct term is "jacksy" not a..." :D

Zula, my advice to you...buy what you can afford, cause the terms affordable, cheap, expensive, waste of money, etc are only words and have diffrent meanings to the different walks of life. A R3k handle bar might sound ludacrous to some people, but for others it is an necessity to complete his awesome ride. What ever makes you and your wallet happy!

:unsure:

If you go look at pics of the Pro's bikes on CyclingNews.com you will notice that many, if not the majority ride with Alu bars and stems, not just for Roubaix. Not sure what the reason is, but go have a look for yourself. I myself had a Carbon Easton SLX3 Compact bar with a really nice bend and is worth looking at. If your bike is insured then I dont see an issue going carbon if you can afford it, but if you do fall the bar probably will break.

If you go look at pics of the Pro's bikes on CyclingNews.com you will notice that many, if not the majority ride with Alu bars and stems, not just for Roubaix.

I think part of the reason is that their frames and wheels are so light that they need to start looking for places to add weight to the bike to meet the UCI limit.

I think part of the reason is that their frames and wheels are so light that they need to start looking for places to add weight to the bike to meet the UCI limit.

Alu bars aren't that much lighter than carbon ones.They just don't break as often as alu bars do.

Most of the bikes at Copenhagen this year had alu bars on them and the roads were very smooth.

Most of the pro bikes i have seen have a lead weight under the seat or in the seat tube,even with alu bars and stem.

Weight difference between alu and carbon is so minimal you might as well get alu.

If you want to spend lots of money and will be happier with carbon bars then go for carbon but then make sure it's expensive as most cheaper carbon bars are alu coated in carbon which is not real carbon.

Good luck.

I went past CWC on the way back from a client and played with a few bars.

The FSA compact seem to be the way to go, they felt REALLY comfy in the drops

Any idea who the agents for FSA are?