Recovering from flu

D-Mike

I had some serious sinus problems starting this past Thursday, and it slowly started to spread to my chest. On Saturday morning I had a very light cough, but still did a 90km ride with one of my mates. We took it easy for most of the ride, except the last 10km we pushed to the end.

Anyway, its now a proper cold and I am doing the Durbanville Funride this coming Saturday. I really want to be well for that. Have you guys got any idea on how one can make sure you can shake off the cold in 5days?

The subject line says flu, but in the post you talk about the cold? Maybe first you have to go read up on the difference between the two :P

My remedy for the cold: try to sleep, relax and eat more. There is no cure for the cold, but you can try to give your body what it needs to fight it and recover from it. Then see how you feel closer to the weekend.

Sorry dude - no magical formula!

I was 100% on saturday morning. Went for a ride in the afternoon and 30min after the ride i could feel i was not feeling good. By the evening it had hit and by sunday i was man down. I cant afford to be sick. I am self employed. 1 man business and i am doing Berg and Bush this weekend. I dose myself up with Viral Choice, Corenza C, and mother natures best remedy Echinaforce. I swear by Echinaforce. Last night i had a sore throat. This morning nothing. Just a groggy head which will hopefully get sorted out by friday. (keeping fingers crossed)

What i do, is drink a scorbex every morning, followed by 2 x corenza c, rest rest. Afternoon corenza c and advil rest, night corenca z advil rest

I just been through a round of flu, what I do is back off the strenuous exercise completely and wait until it passes, If you going to push yourself body-wise, it gets worse.

Also lay on more fruit juices and laziness, and no medicines unless really needed. Antibiotics are really the last resort.

Edited by kosmonooit

Got sore throat last week, didn't get better so went to the doc, some kind of early Bronchitus(sp?)

Just finished my last 400mg antibiotics.

Hoping to atleast go for a spin on sunday, had just been getting fit again then had to stop.

It's torture not being able to ride :(

Andy: Sorry about the confusion in title. But yes I have a cold and not the flu. I did read up on it to clarify the difference.

In the end I have pretty much decided on some rest and taken a cough syrup and an Advil every 8 hours. Seems like it is getting better, I just hope enough for Saturday's ride.

Well the recovery didn't go as I had hoped. In the end had to miss the race on Saturday. I hope to make it for the race this Sunday :D .

• 5 months later...

Well the recovery didn't go as I had hoped. In the end had to miss the race on Saturday. I hope to make it for the race this Sunday :D .

All the remedies suggested are just for relieving the symptoms. A rule of thumb is that when you have an ailment below your neck, take 3-5 days off and then start slow activities for another 3-5 days. If it is above the neck, do slow activities for 3-5 days. You need that for O2 and nutrients through blood flow to the infected areas as ONLY your body can cure it, no medicine ... God has designed you in that way!